look through a scope

TorkudaTorkuda Posts: 148
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is it possible to place a camera inside an object and render an image as if looking through that object? I tried putting my camera inside a gun scope, but I keep seeing the outside of my scope as well as through it.

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

Are you animating it?

If not, then your best bet would be to do it in post.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Torkuda said:
    Is it possible to place a camera inside an object and render an image as if looking through that object? I tried putting my camera inside a gun scope, but I keep seeing the outside of my scope as well as through it.

The problem is that a rifle scope has a very narrow field of view, while a camera has, by default, a much wider one and everything within that field of view will be rendered. I'm not sure there's a way to simulate the narrower field of view without significantly changing the image rendered, or postwork.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

mm,, it seems not so difficult. just adjust scale. you need long cylinder. I think

shadow.jpg
    533 x 636 - 79K
    scope2.JPG
    792 x 581 - 33K
    scope.JPG
    815 x 577 - 52K
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

The camera has physical size that is bigger than your scope, so it shows both inside and outside. A solution is like kitakoledaz says, although a long torus would avoid having to model or making a transmap. You can also increase the camera Focal Length (in the Parameters tab) so that the field of view lies inside the scope or cylinder/torus.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,827
    edited December 1969

Actually the camera is just a point. The problem is, in part, that what Hollywood has taught us to think of as "the view through a scope" (or through binoculars) isn't at all like the real thing.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Actually the camera is just a point. The problem is, in part, that what Hollywood has taught us to think of as "the view through a scope" (or through binoculars) isn't at all like the real thing.

Yup. When looking through a scope one sees "full vision" just with a reticle view in the focus. One will still "see" around the scope with their peripheral vision. The reticle view may, or may not, be zoomed depending on the scope being used. Some of the newer setups have either a visible light laser, or an "invisible" IR or UV pinpoint. My rifles have several different scopes.

Kendall

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Actually the camera is just a point.
    LOL, OK. I should have said: "the camera plane projection has a physical size".