Can't Export My Models as a Collada (.dae) File...

UPBigBoy4006UPBigBoy4006 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi. This is my first time making a post here at the Daz 3D forums. I just started using Daz Studio yesterday.

I have a problem. I try exporting my models as a .dae file, which is the file format for Collada. Every time I try to export in that format, it saves the textures, but does create the .dae file. It gives me an error dialog box telling me to check the log.

And I noticed just several minutes ago that the rigging fails to load into Daz Studio. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem with exporting my Daz models as Collada files. Any one else have this trouble before? And if so, how do I go about troubleshooting the problem?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Rigging for what?

What is in the scene you are trying to export - Genesis is problematic. You can view the log file from Help>Troubleshooting>View log.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2012

try exporting as fbx and using the free Autodesk fbx converter to convert to dae
    ofcourse it also depends what you are trying to import the dae into

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • UPBigBoy4006UPBigBoy4006 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll try both ways guys. As for my models, I don't just use Genesis - I also use Michael 5 and Victoria 5. I don't know if either of those models would cause a problem either. I didn't know Genesis could cause problems. As for viewing logs, I was wondering how to do just that Richard. Now that I think about that, I should have asked about viewing the logs too. But I know the suggestions both of you give me will help out a great deal. As for exporting wendy, I fortunately have an .fbx files for the five models I have so far (the models were for practice so I could get used to the controls). Now all I have to do is put it through the converter - but I have to download that first.

edited December 1969

Oh, and I forgot to mention Richard - considering I'm new at using Daz Studio 4, I'm not sure whether the models are automatically rigged or not. Considering I can pose my models, I assumed they were rigged already. Of course, I never learned how to rig in other software I use (Blender, ZBrush, etc.), so that's something I'll need to learn in the future with the other forms of 3D software I use. All I know is that I can use rigs to animate my models.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Premade figures means prerigged. You're right, if they pose they are rigged.

"I don’t just use Genesis - I also use Michael 5 and Victoria 5."

Those are also genesis, just different morphs. Most all the new figures are just morphs of genesis; well all the new ones from DAZ.

The only reason to save a .dae is to move the figure to a noncompatable app. Meaning not compatible with the figure.

Sorry, .dae has been borked for a while, since DAZ is going to DUF; in house file format, no telling when or if it will get fixed. It works ok with the mill 4, 3, 2 figures, but still doesn't work as well as the dae in studio 3.

None the less dae hasn't work with genesis since genesis was introed. genesis is a complete departure from the previous figures; that would be mil4 and down, Mike 4, Vic 4 ect, and dae isn't set up to transfer the new info; weight mapping to be precis.

edited December 1969

I thought so ManStan. If I can pose them, I would think that's a sign they're already rigged. And I didn't know Michael and Victoria were morphs of Genesis. Shows I still have a lot to learn about Daz Studio. Even though I know only a little bit on Daz right now, I've already gotten uses out of it, while having fun at the same time.

And I didn't know that the .dae file format was incompatible with the models made in Daz Studio. It definitely not working in Daz Studio 4, which I use instead of Daz Studio 3. I'm not surprised that part of the model's data doesn't get transferred to a .dae. As for weight mapping, I'll have to look up that term. That's something I yet know nothing about. ;)

edited December 1969

Forgot to mention, I was hoping for a format compatible with both Blender and Unity. So far I have no idea how I'll transfer all of a model's data into both programs - it's something I'm definitely going to study for a little while. It's good to have several tools in the form of different 3D programs when modelling. One piece of software may end up having features another program doesn't have. Too bad it's sometimes hard to export from one program and then import into another one. It's as though there's no standard to exporting and importing. I'm don't know if the CG industry has made such a standard.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

fbx works with Unity, I have never gotten anything rigged from studio into Blender.
    mdd from Animate2 sometimes works in Blender for animation but that uses morphs
    (got Genesis in animated in Optitex dynamic cloth in an earlier version of Blender, later versions only part animation, I have not got the latest)
    dae conversions from studio fbx do not work very well or open in Blender, in Autodesk fbx viewer clothes not linked to figures, millenium cat untextured etc.
    I have personally only gotten Carrara rigged and animated figures into Blender, inc ones I made myself, not Daz ones.
    but I find Blender difficult and do not use it.

edited December 1969

That's true about fbx Wendy. I should have known that, considering I've exported Blender models to Unity in that file format.

As for Blender being hard, I do agree. It takes a lot of time to learn, and with each new version that comes out (roughly every 6 months), it's often times hard to keep up with all the changes that come in Blender also. But I've been spending a year-and-a-half learning Blender, and it seems it gets easier the more I learn. Of course, that's probably just me Wendy. What one person may be good at, another person might find difficult.

• edited December 1969

Hi. This is my first time making a post here at the Daz 3D forums. I just started using Daz Studio yesterday.

I have a problem. I try exporting my models as a .dae file, which is the file format for Collada. Every time I try to export in that format, it saves the textures, but does create the .dae file. It gives me an error dialog box telling me to check the log.

And I noticed just several minutes ago that the rigging fails to load into Daz Studio. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem with exporting my Daz models as Collada files. Any one else have this trouble before? And if so, how do I go about troubleshooting the problem?

The Collada export is broken and it should have been fixed before moving on to 4.5 IMO. When you start leaving known bugs to go on to something else, they usually surface somewhere else in another form. But, for the price of the program, I can't gripe. But it is broken and it should have been fixed.

edited December 1969

The way the others are talking Shawn, it sounds as though the .dae exporter has been broken for some time - or at least that's the impression I got. One question then is in mind - why hasn't the Collada exporter been fixed? Right now I can't seem to come up with any answers for that question - I don't see why the software developers here at Daz haven't addressed the issue yet. I'm not complaining though - I love using Daz, considering it's so much fun to mess with. But if something in the program is 'broken,' then it should be fixed. Hopefully Daz 3D will have the exporter fixed in the near future.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited August 2012

I don't know what version you have of DS but DAE export didn't work in DS4 with genesis figure but did work with V4/M4

I did a little test the other day with DS 4.5 RC3 and it worked

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

I'm using Daz Studio 4 also Takeo. I made a model with Michael 5, and the exporter still doesn't work.

edited August 2012

Could you tell me your exact DS version? Go to "help"->About DAZ Studio

I'm using the 4.5 Release Candidate and that's not quite the same thing as standard DS4 pro

You could also fill a bug report to DAZ if that really doesn't work so they can fix it

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

It appears to be the DS4 Pro version Takeo, and not the Release Candidate like you've got. Out of curiousity, what's the difference from the version I'm using and the version that I've got?

edited December 1969

You can have a look at this thread here

Lots of new feature and bug correction. Point cloud rendering, interface speed up, instancing, are some of the good thing. The stability is far better than the previous Studio as I used to crash a lot in the middle of a scene setup or rendering. And I could manage to get the DAE export or genesis on this build not on the previous one

One of the drawback is that external plugins are not yet updated for this one if you use some. And you can't save as the old DAZ format but use a new format called Duf

edited December 1969

I'll definitely have to download this version Takeo! I'd love to have the DAE exporter working in Daz, and this sounds like what I need. I definitely would love to give Daz 3D some feedback any problems I come across. I wish I knew about this version sooner. I thank you Takeo. I'm sure this will help, and I much appreciate it.

edited December 1969

No problem but you should get the final version of DS 4.5 now as it's been out for a few days. Be sure to read this thread

edited December 1969

I just downloaded Daz Studio 4.5 RC3 just now Takeo. I'll give it a try. Hope it's good!!!

• No sceane, No nothing, only Nude G8F with a pose on Daz 4..10. 

It won't create the "Dae" file when exported as Colladaa, only creates a folder with some Jpg files.

• What options are you setting?

• What options are you setting?

Thanks Richard for your swieft reply, hope this picture will provide you with the information you seek.

• dipangkarnhkdipangkarnhk Posts: 15
    edited November 2018

The Filename with which i am trying to export the Collada File, using it, the software is only creating a Folder with the following Jpgs. But NO dae file with it.

Post edited by dipangkarnhk on
  • The .dae file will be in the parent folder for the textures - that is, if you export as ColladaFile to /Exports the your will have /Exports/ColladaFile.dae and /Exports/ColladaFile/texture.jpg etc.

• I just downloaded Daz Studio 4.5 RC3 just now Takeo. I'll give it a try. Hope it's good!!!

I found a solution. I had the same problem, all you need to do is just to avoid anya foreign symbols in the file name, or in the path. I were surpised, but now it exports collada