NOD or to not NOD?

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Do i need the carrara render nod for 8.5 to take advantage of my multiple processors on MACPRO?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Try adding an "e" at the end of nod and you'll probably get more help. ;-)

In Carrara 7 Pro there's a checkbox in the render room, near the slider to control tile size that when checked, allows you to use multi-threading. There's also a box to check to allow network rendering. There were substantial changes (and maybe improvements ;-) ) to the ntework rendering options, so maybe the layout has changed.

What version of Carrara are you using on the host machine? I don't know if nodes from an earlier version will work with a host from a newer version. Frankly, with the troubles you seem to have, I wouldn't be using the 8.5 beta for any mission critical renders unless there's a specific reason to do so. Remember, its a beta with a time limited serial number. It's a foregone conclusion that it's going to be a paid upgrade when it's out of beta, so unless you're willing to risk having the finances available to get it, you may want to at least make sure that you're creating and saving your scenes with the non-beta 8.x version of Carrara.

• edited December 1969

Try adding an "e" at the end of nod and you'll probably get more help. ;-)

In Carrara 7 Pro there's a checkbox in the render room, near the slider to control tile size that when checked, allows you to use multi-threading. There's also a box to check to allow network rendering. There were substantial changes (and maybe improvements ;-) ) to the ntework rendering options, so maybe the layout has changed.

What version of Carrara are you using on the host machine? I don't know if nodes from an earlier version will work with a host from a newer version. Frankly, with the troubles you seem to have, I wouldn't be using the 8.5 beta for any mission critical renders unless there's a specific reason to do so. Remember, its a beta with a time limited serial number. It's a foregone conclusion that it's going to be a paid upgrade when it's out of beta, so unless you're willing to risk having the finances available to get it, you may want to at least make sure that you're creating and saving your scenes with the non-beta 8.x version of Carrara.

Well I dont think I need the render node thing as there is 12 render boxes working on my renders.

I am using MAC OS 10.8

Seems I have finally ironed out most of the bugs so far but am NOT happy with the performance of Carrara on a brand new 64 bit MACPRO on a SSD drive.

Its tons better but like a new young bride I had more hope in her!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The 64 bit will help speed up renders, but it's main advantage will be memory handling. I also recall reading that some processes are still only single processor aware. Some render settings for instance, and I believe physics simulations. I could be wrong about that though.

• edited December 1969

One item I find infuriating about carrara is that if you want to say do a draft rendering maybe to just to see the MOVEMENT and the tweens is that anything other than REALISTIC rendering will only use one processor! WTF?