351 Downloads - Wha...?!?!?!?

wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 11
edited December 1969 in New Users

I don't buy much content from Daz, normally. Until this weekend, I ordered some things and it was ok. But I'm really liking this Genesis thing but was seriously lacking Genesis compatible so today I bought 4 (count 'em, only 4) bundle packs. Imagine my surpirse when I received an email with a list of 351 separate and individual downloads. 351?!?!?! WTF!?!?!?

I ordered 4 products, and I get a list of 351 separate and individual downloads? Really? PC, Mac, Daz, Poser, etc... Absolutely ludicrous.

I just want to use these files on a PC, and for DAZ Studio 4, specifically Genesis. No MAC, no Poser, etc... Would it be possible to get a much slimmer list of just the files I need to download as opposed to a file listing containing each and every possible miscombobulation of files. Holy crap, 351 separate files? Really? If they're gonna be offered as a "bundle", it's be nice to be able to download and install them as a "bundle". Who the hell has time to download 351 individual files, then click each one to install them. It's like a bad joke...

I guess DAZ isn't about convienence or customer service since they expect people to wade through a listing of 351 individual files to try and determine what needs to be downloaded and installed versus what doesn;t need to be downloaded and installed.

Genesis. That's all I need. For PC. So which of these 351 files do I want/need to download and install?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

Welcome to the world of Bundles. EACH item in the bundle will have two files at the least. And now that it shows mac and PC in the downloads that's 4 files each item. Add all the items per Bundle double that, double yet again for the other OS. Now start adding all the items that are multi files beyound the Base two. It adds up very quick.

Edit: You need to download all the files for your OS. You paid for all of it.

P.S. A Bundle is a set of items sold for a lower price. Not one single download.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

You also want the Poser files for DS - they nearly always are the foundation for the item, and then the DS installer adds some DS specific presets.

edited December 1969

Syndaryl said:
    You also want the Poser files for DS - they nearly always are the foundation for the item, and then the DS installer adds some DS specific presets.

When I said for your OS I ment ALL the files for your system, all the MAC or all the PC. Should have been clearer.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,710
    edited December 1969

Since DAZ is going to move to Zip files, no more installers, there won't be separate files for Mac and Windows in future for most items - given that, it was probably felt to be unnecessary to implement an option to hide one platform's files.

edited December 1969

OT- Richard I just noticed you now have TWO green squares, is that a membership thing? The more bars you have the more you post?

On topic: I know about the ZIP thing. I just wanted the Original Poster to understand that they PAID for all those files. It sounds like they are expecting just one file.

I restate: A Bundle is just a special price for a group of items. The Bundle will have many items in it. Each item will have multiple files for it.
    You should download ALL the files marked for your PC. IE all the Mac files if on a MAC or all the PC files if on a PC.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2012

Jaderail said:
    OT- Richard I just noticed you now have TWO green squares, is that a membership thing? The more bars you have the more you post?

He's not the only one :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hmmm.... I see, I see. And I'm at 190, and not even with the site. Hmmm.... I must be a blabber mouth.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,684
    edited December 1969

When will the zip files be out? Should we download what we recently bought or wait until the zip files come out?

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

wizaerd I know its not much help but you also don't need to download the metadata file thay are only supplied that way in case they need to be separately updated

so in theory by ignoring the wrong OS versions and the meterdata files you can cut the downloads down by over half

• wizaerdwizaerd Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

One of the real issues with this current method is the sheer number of installations one must go through when ordering these bundles. I ordered the Supersuit Bundle, the Victoria 5 Model Suite and the Michael 5 Model Suite, and last night only go through installing 2 of the bundles, and it took me hours. Just clicking the exe, then the next button several times, then onto the next exe. About 2 and half hours of just installing. ugh. Oh well, at least I got a crpaload of fantastic content to play with, after I install the last of the three bundles.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I know that feeling I have this folder that I tuck stuff away in that I don't need right away that I say I will install latter and it currently stands at 10.2 gb with 370 files with quite a few going back to the last PC anniversary sale and with me keep adding to to the pile since.

I must really get around to clearing that backlog :bug:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,346
    edited December 1969

I just cleared out and installed my 175 installers I had going. I know have 20 more that need done.