S 4.5 failed to save image error

Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Against my better judgment I decided to upgrade to 4.5, and all was going well (other than having a pile of duplicate icons in the "smart content" browser), but then it all went to hell when I went to run my first render.

I got this error message: Failed to save image: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
Operation failed

I thought moving the save location might help, but no cigar. Running the program as administrator hasn't helped either.

I just want the bad men to stop. I just want to render. Anyone know how to make the bad man stop, or will reinstalling the previous version be the only choice?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Go to that folder and see if there's already an r.png there - if there is, delete it.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Already tried changing the file name. Like I said, tried changing dir too.

edited December 1969

Where? The r.png is a non-user settable name.

edited December 1969

Attempted to dump it on DT. At time of error I am prompted to rename the file (can also apparently move it).

edited December 1969

When I go to C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render I find it is actually empty

edited December 1969

Try going to Edit>Preferences>Genreal and set the Temporary Files folder to a folder in your documents folder.

edited December 1969

Alas that would be too easy. Thanks though I looked for the sane option but didn't find it when this first started happening. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. May try a reinstall - not that I think it will be particularly helpful. I remember the days when software just worked... or is that those rose tinted glasses?

edited December 1969

Sadly it is rose-tinted rear-view mirrors - your comment has triggered a flashback to editing a long document with lots of tables and equations in the original Word Perfect for Windows. Medic!

edited December 1969

Now I'm just sad. Reinstalled previous version and have the same problem :( Hope tec support get back to me about this soon. With a broken elbow I'm climbing the walls for something to do.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited August 2012

Seems like you lost (or do not have) writing permissions to the admin documents. This seems to be cropping up a bit lately. Try disabling antivirus if any.
    I think it's a case of what this post says, except it isn't limited to TCP comms: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/50049/

Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

Can't make sense of it. Disabled security, chaned to standard user and nothing. Don't know why my writing permissions would be lost in the first place. This is my PC and I run as admin.

• jared19_76551e8932jared19_76551e8932 Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    This is my PC and I run as admin.

Dunno with the rest of your problem, But I like to point out that "I'm running as admin" thing is not necessarily true. If you're on windows, from XP on up you only run as admin if you explicitly login as admin. Most people setup their windows so it bypass the login screen. This is the default behavior of windows install. If after boot you're immediately sent to the desktop, then windows implicitly log you in as a user in the admin group, but not admin. The privilege differences maybe small on XP, but for vista on up you can't change anything in the C: drive without the system nagging you.

Dunno for MAC, but cos OSX is based on FreeBSD, I expect the same scheme going on, unless Apple gut it out.

edited December 1969

Not sure if I renamed the default admin profile, but I don't see an "Admin" when I go to log in to win7. The only time I'm prompted for access to write data on C is when in "program files" (just press ok).

edited December 1969

Frustrating! Anyone else start getting this problem after a recent MS update? Still not sure if that is the issue. Am waiting to hear from tech support, but I'm thinking they are going to be at as much a loss as I am.

edited December 1969

If anyone is having this problem I stumbled upon an inexplicable solution. After having disabled all my computer's security systems and getting nowhere I decided that the problem might have to do with the way the scenes were being prepared for render (specifically Genesis as this was the only thing I had attempted to render since the upgrade). I loaded a primitive - still wouldn’t render. I loaded one of Daz's premade scenes, and for some inexplicable reason the damn thing fired up.

I then started a new scene and load Genesis - bust! Load one of Daz's scenes (any) and away it renders. Delete everything in the scene and load Genesis again, and again it renders.

Have no idea why this work around works, or even why the problem is occurring, but I am so glad it all works now.

So, the current work around I am using:

1) Load any of Daz's premade scenes
    2) Delete everything
    3) Load Genesis (you may not need to do this step, but this is exactly what I did)
    4) Save the scene
    5) Go to "Preferances" > "Startup" > select "Load File" > select the scene you created
    6) Marvel at the fact you have no idea what is the cause of the problem, or why this work-around works at all

• JeromelevaiathJeromelevaiath Posts: 11
    edited November 2023

Same error on my machine. It turned out to be full HDD/scratch Harddrive. After I freed some space, problem WAS solved.

Post edited by Jeromelevaiath on