lost translation controls

hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0

i'm not a developer, but this seems like a developer question.

i have a prop purchased at rendo... but when loaded into DS it loses some of the translation controls. (i'm using DS4.0)

the prop is basically a building, and the developer re-labeled "Yrot" to be "roatate" and that control shows and works.

i also get the scale control which seems to work.

the only other conrol is some kind of custom thing that moves the object diagonally from NW to SW ....

how can i edit the file (pp2?) to restore the normal controls?

TIA

:8

Post edited by hiker_1 on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited August 2012

The easiest method could be just to load a NULL object Parenting the Building to the Null and move the Null. Moving the Null will move the Building.

DS4 has an Icon to create a NULL object or on the top menu bar "Create > New Null. If you select the Building before you create a NULL you can Parent the Building to the Null when you create the new Null. All will come clear when you try this.........I hope. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 1969

Moved to Nuts n Bolts - Developer Discussions is for DAZ Studio scripting.

Do you have a link to the prop? Have you tried right-clicking on the Parameters pane's tab and from the menu selecting Show Hidden Properties?

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

that worked great... now... how can i see the null so that i can move it to the center of the prop.... making x/z trasforms is no problem... but it sure sould help with rotations to have the null in the center.....

sorry to sound so ignorant, but i've never used nulls in DS before...

thanks!

edited December 1969

Hey don't sweat it we are all learners we all have to start somewhere.

To see a Null object. You can see the Outline but it does depend on the background. All I do is make sure I have the Translation tool selected which gives me a visual reference (see image below), select the Null in the Scene Pane and whilst looking through the Perspective or Top camera I hit the Frame to Object Icon (see image below). Then it is a simple case of moving the NULL in to position but make sure you haven't parented the Building to the Null at this point otherwise you will move the building to. :)

Another way is to select the Building in the Scene Tab, Ctrl + C (on a PC) to copy and the select the Null and Ctrl + V to Paste.

NullOutline.jpg
    1296 x 899 - 115K
    FrameIcon.jpg
    350 x 80 - 24K
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info-- complete with pretty pictures! -- worked great!

edited December 1969

LOL Glad it worked.

But I still think a Restore Translation tool might be a nice idea.

edited December 1969

yes it would!

Thanks again!