Unless S5 is high poly in poser I'm not going to buy her

estheresther Posts: 608
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I bought M5 and V5, and they can make some nice low poly crowds in poser, but there is no point in me getting Steph petite 5 when she comes out. So I will continue to buy occasional clothes as I suspect the export thing is easier in poser pro 2012 SR3 but there are only so many low poly people one needs in poser.
Just so you know DAZ.
Love esther

Comments

• edited December 1969

If you need low poly people, why don't you just buy the MOM Crowd Generator or some of the LoRez figures? They do the same thing and look great, plus the crowd generator is made or poser.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I have that mom, but genesis will be useful for say an operating theatre team. They can wear their clothes and all stand around the table, or say I could buy the cheffs outfit for background kitchen staff in my comic etc. so yes, genesis in poser will have a place, but I certainly don't need any more than the M5 and V5 that I now own.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

also in crowd scenes the eye is drawn to detail, so I could have daz low rez genesis people with mom crowd behind. the trouble with the MOM is some of those people are really distinctive too.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Stephanie 5 will undoubtedly be a Genesis shape, so it'll have the same number of poly's.

edited December 1969

well I may be the same as some other people, so if daz wonders why people bought V5, M5 but didn't buy S5 I wouldn't want them to think it was to do with the look of the character.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Why is Genesis low poly in Poser? Does the CR2 exporter only export the base resolution, and not the subdivided mesh (since Genesis is designed fundamentally around being subdivided)? I know that Reality gets the fully subdivided mesh when it exports from Studio to LuxRender...

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Correct-only the low poly version exports. Tis why I don't use Genesis....

cwichura said:
    Why is Genesis low poly in Poser? Does the CR2 exporter only export the base resolution, and not the subdivided mesh (since Genesis is designed fundamentally around being subdivided)? I know that Reality gets the fully subdivided mesh when it exports from Studio to LuxRender...
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited August 2012

To be clear - this is the resolution that DAZ Studio exports for use in Poser.

Cheers,

Cliff

Here's some other comparison shots:

V4 to Genesis as V4:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_10/file_485332.jpg

V4 Wireframe to Genesis as V4 wireframe:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_10/file_485333.jpg

V4 default mesh vs V5 with Poser mesh smoothing turned on:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/2cscfsw.jpg

GenesisPoserResolution.jpg
    800 x 800 - 55K
    Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

Did they ever give a reason why only the base mesh is exported by the CR2 Exporter? Especially since we know from Reality that plugins are capable of accessing the fully subdivided mesh in Studio for export.

edited August 2012

cwichura said:
    Did they ever give a reason why only the base mesh is exported by the CR2 Exporter? Especially since we know from Reality that plugins are capable of accessing the fully subdivided mesh in Studio for export.

Well, technically Reality only gets a subdivided mesh - you can't repose in Reality can you? You can do that with Poser too. In fact, I'm aware of at least one Poser user who advocates that route to get the best out of Genesis in Poser.

However - on to the main question. Yes, they have given a reason for it. I have not put in the time and effort to try and find out how correct they are, but the general gist of it is that the Genesis rig is designed to work with the base level resolution of mesh and DAZ Studio relies on improving the definition of the mesh after posing. Increasing the density of the mesh (without increasing the definition and possibly the complexity or the rigging) and THEN posing would likely result in a figure that poses less well - possibly much less well, with problems showing up that would need corrective morphs. Since Poser and DAZ Studio use different mesh smoothing algorythms this could mean that a subdivided Genesis mesh would be a worse experience than a fairly low poly Genesis.

I do not know for certain whether Poser or DAZ's abilities with Poser are the more limiting factor in this equation.

A side note to consider is that earlier exports of Genesis seemed - if done incorrectly, one assumes - to be far lower resolution than the current version. Additionally, there are two Genesis mesh options - "Base Mesh" and "High Resolution". These are visibly different within DAZ Studio in hidden-line view, but I'm not sure what the difference IS as they appear to have the same number of vertices and facets. Interesting.

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
    edited December 1969

Correct, Reality does not allow further manipulation of the exported mesh. It's just converting it for use in an alternate rendering engine. So it makes sense that Studio can send it a fully baked subdivided mesh. I presume when you say there are folks who are doing this in Poser, you mean they are also doing the posing of the Genesis figure in Studio and then exporting it as on OBJ to Poser instead of a CR2?

There was a post in the old forums were one of the DAZ devs explained the difference between base and high resolution, even with subdivision set to 0. I believe it was something along the lines of base does not do any smoothing or other manipulations, while high resolution does.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Correct, Reality does not allow further manipulation of the exported mesh. It's just converting it for use in an alternate rendering engine. So it makes sense that Studio can send it a fully baked subdivided mesh. I presume when you say there are folks who are doing this in Poser, you mean they are also doing the posing of the Genesis figure in Studio and then exporting it as on OBJ to Poser instead of a CR2?

Correct.

There was a post in the old forums were one of the DAZ devs explained the difference between base and high resolution, even with subdivision set to 0. I believe it was something along the lines of base does not do any smoothing or other manipulations, while high resolution does.

Although technically sort-of-partially-available, the loss of the old forum bites hard :(

Cheers,

Cliff