GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

OK, decided to reset the non upgrade one, had a newer date on it. Thanks folks!

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited August 2012

namrettek I maintain the thread that lists the current versions of Genesis products. You can get a list of what the current version numbers are and I included a lot of information on things to be aware of when updating.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

Texture expansions in just about all cases haven't been updated.

Also look at related Non-Genesis Content with Metadata thread Mike maintains and read the posts in it.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

quote author="namrettek" date="1345225321"]There have been so many update for software and genesis figures clothing etc.

I have been updating DS (last was RC3)

and I have had various genesis problems mostly with duplicate file errors etc.

SO I have not upgraded my genesis content.

Is there a list of updated genesis files for DS 4.5? I have almost all the genesis stuff from daz and a whole bunch of other things.

Should I just reset ALL my genesis content and redownload and install everthing?

What about all of our old content has that been updated too?

Is there an auto install feature now (I heard something about that long ago...)

Maybe just blow away my entire runtime (all the thousands of files...)

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

So far I am loving the labels on the meta data content or smart content.

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    namrettek I maintain the thread that lists the current versions of Genesis products. You can get a list of what the current version numbers are and I included a lot of information on things to be aware of when updating.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

Texture expansions in just about all cases haven't been updated.

Also look at related Non-Genesis Content with Metadata thread Mike maintains and read the posts in it.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

Thanks! Although I almost cried when I saw it...

I think I will just delete "My Library".

My old content is in a different runtime.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited August 2012

Do geometry shells have any other function than to aid with geo-grafting? Also, I got a crash to desktop when deleting the main figure with a geometry shell parented to it, so be careful.

Well, it makes a copy of the selected node with a Push modifier applied of 1 cm, IIRC, with the ability to have a different shader than the original (this is the main difference I am aware of between Geometry Shell and Instance), so it is bigger than the node it copies. So most uses would take advantage of either the lower memory consumption or the same geometrical appearance but different shader possibilities. Off the top of my head I can think of a few uses:
    -The fast AO that Wiseavatar mentions here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4949/
    -For "closed meshes" (AKA manifold 3 meshes) you can use them as a container for volume effects (glows, auras, and whatnot; you'll have to increase the Push modifier as needed, though, if you also have the source node inside the geometry shell)
    -Fast morph to give a more rounded appearance to anything (again, must be closed mesh); the push modifier would be the correct way to do this, but if you have several copies of something they'll look a bit different.
    -It uses less memory than loading another copy of the node so you can use that in case you need to have multiple copies with different shading (e.g. a chess set, load just the white pieces, then do a geomery shell for the black pieces, remember to dial back the Push modifier). Useful if memory is a problem.
    -In scripting, probably useful for loads of things, e.g. in case you need to make intersection rays that stop a bit before the mesh (for things such as collison detection, I would imagine, or volume measurement) .
    -Possible Toon outline, now that I think of it. You may have to squish the figure, though, and have a shader that can shade it properly once it is squished.
    -A more dented appearance with displacement maps: since by default it pushes the surface out, you can increase the strength of opportune displacement maps to make deeper cracks/holes/more-displaced-towards-the-inside that wouldn't work on the unmodified node. Again handy if you have two or three copies of the same object and you don't want them to look identical.
    -etc.
    Post edited by ReDave on
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    I can't get to My Account all of a sudden, I get an endless log-in loop on Opera. :-S

Try this. In your browser, select Shop, now log Out, Then log back in and you should be up and going.

Give it a try.Thanks Blaine, but it didn't work. :-( I have however managed to download it with an old copy of IE. I'll see tomorrow if the download works.

edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    I can't get to My Account all of a sudden, I get an endless log-in loop on Opera. :-S

You have to wait until the matinee :lol:More of a laty-nee ;-) I'm in Europe!

edited December 1969

Uh, and you guys got a new receptionist and shipping assistant?! Pretty! Saw her on Linked-In. [/totally OT]

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Hello.

I just wanted to confirm that I'm building new versions of Reality, version 2.5, that are compatible with Studio 4.5. In fact they are already been built, I'm testing them and then sending them to the testers for a wider verification.

If everything checks out I should have the update, which is free, available on Monday. I will send a mailer to let people know about the update.

Cheers.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Pret-A-3D said:
    Hello.

I just wanted to confirm that I'm building new versions of Reality, version 2.5, that are compatible with Studio 4.5. In fact they are already been built, I'm testing them and then sending them to the testers for a wider verification.

If everything checks out I should have the update, which is free, available on Monday. I will send a mailer to let people know about the update.

Cheers.

YAY!! :) Looking forward to it, Pret! Thanks for the update!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

I already have 4.0.xx installed and lots of content in my library. When installing 4.5, do I say no to installing Content Management Service? Is it a new version or will reinstalling it remove my entire library? This isn't covered in the Installation Guide.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited August 2012

Okay, I decided to give it a try...

edit Nevermind. Found where it should be to turn off the Lesson Strip, though I could have sworn I looked there. Exporting User Data now. Will try to disable lesson strip when that's done.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    ReDave said:

Try this. In your browser, select Shop, now log Out, Then log back in and you should be up and going.

Give it a try.

Thanks Blaine, but it didn't work. :-( I have however managed to download it with an old copy of IE. I'll see tomorrow if the download works.

I'm not having any problems using Opera 12, just had to log in again 5 minutes ago and I've confirmed I can get to My Account.

edited December 1969

Let's try this again.

I missed a check mark when opening DS 4.5 for the first time.

I'm stuck with the lesson strip.

I went to Preferences>Interface.

The option to hide the lesson strip is not there.

Help me get rid of it please.

Interface_Options_1.jpg
    800 x 498 - 57K
  • KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

I believe that it is the very first one ...Tool Tips...that needs to be turned off.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

Tool Tips and Hide Lesson strip was two different things and settings in the previous version. And the Tab Groups setting is gone too now, so no way anymore to arrange tabs on top instead at the side?

• edited December 1969

Just curious about where the old data folder would reside within the DS4.5 file structure?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Just curious about where the old data folder would reside within the DS4.5 file structure?

Directly underneath the folder specified as a content folder, e.g. My Library.

• Anubic DarqueAnubic Darque Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

OK I this is weird. I am downloading 4.5 and of course reset my downloads for my PW shaders...... and Norton sees the PW shaders as a virus... I am sure its a false positive but still

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Several posts were split out of this commercial thread discussing content updates. The thread can be found here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5915/

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

How big is the DAZ 4.5 file? It looks to be much bigger than the DAZ 4 file.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    I already have 4.0.xx installed and lots of content in my library. When installing 4.5, do I say no to installing Content Management Service? Is it a new version or will reinstalling it remove my entire library?

Install the Content Management Service if you are using it now. It's just the program to access your library; installing it will not remove your library (at least not if you specify the same library location you had last time so it's looking for it in the right place anyway.)

When prompted during installation, check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation".In the Content Management Service's Install Directories window, change or verify the " Database location" field is set to wherever you have your database currently.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    How big is the DAZ 4.5 file? It looks to be much bigger than the DAZ 4 file.

DAZStudio_4.5.0.114_Win32.exe is about 129MB.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Sean :) That is a lot larger than DS 4 of course :) It would be nice if we could have something to tell us the size of the downloads before we started them downloading.

edited December 1969

Bea said:
    It would be nice if we could have something to tell us the size of the downloads before we started them downloading.
    screenshot,_file_sizes.png
    408 x 309 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Interesting thanks :)
    My downloads are going really really slowly even though I am on dsl

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Bea said:
    Interesting thanks :)
    My downloads are going really really slowly even though I am on dsl

My download for DS4.5 went very quickly...so quick I thought that maybe it hadn't download the full file but it just ran the install beautifully.

edited August 2012

Turning off Tool tips does not get rid of the lesson bar. (and I don't really want to turn off tool tips anyway. Sometimes it's useful to remember exactly which Icon goes with which tool)

I know it's supposed to be more new user friendly, but it's kinda distracting to those of us who've been using DS for a while now.

Edit to add - I figured it out.

I had to go to Customize - Actions (Workspace) and move the Enable Lesson Strip to the Workspace Menu (I could probably have moved it to any Menu) and then turn it off.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

What I would dearly love is a way to shut off the darned "Tips" tab or a way to drag it to the second position. I don't need that, I need the Info tab front and center. Yea, it's only one more click but it's still annoying. I'm not a newbie so my preference is to turn it off completely.

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited August 2012

Can anyone tell me how fast, Customer Service can process a refund on a Whole order?
    If this had been out on the 15th, I would have change Drasticlly what I had pruchased in the Customer Appreciation Sale.

I guess I will just have to Live with it, because by the time it is processed, The sale will be over.

BAD WORDS, BAD WORDS!!!!

May be I can call on Monday and get solve this Before the sale Ends.

Post edited by Haslor on