V3 skin on V4 ... possible?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I found some really cool, old-school scifi mats for V3 that I'd like to put on my V4 characters. How hard would that really be?

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/texture-convertor-2-tc2 is great for that. Very easy to use.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Apparently, according to a member here who works with UV mapping, it's very difficult setting up a set for a figure base like Genesis. Reasons being that the way Genesis and Gen 4's maps are "sliced" are proportionate to each other, where Gen 3's is not. It's not impossible, but it would be a great deal of work that the team may not be willing to spend that much time on.

This is why even with TC2, people have reported that applying a Gen 3 texture to a shape not designed for that figure will cause warping. This is why I always hold off investing in it myself. I would like nothing more than to use my S3, D3, A3, and H3 textures again, but I don't want my characters to look like Picasso either just because I'm using them on a Gen 4 or 5 shape...

edited August 2012

depending on teh texture, it CAN cause a bit of warping. But I've found the majority are passable - mind you, I've only been converting from V3 to V4 (and then using the V4 result on genesis). Also, I don't do realistic up-close nudes, where if there is a flaw in a texture, it's immediately obvious.

A couple of links where I've converted V3 textures to V4:

The Prize
    - V3 skin texture converted to V4 in TC2, and used on Genesis

Welcome to the Carnival
    - on the female character, same again (V3 -> V4 in TC2, then used on Genesis)

Dark Secrets
    - V3 texture to V4 via TC2, used on V4

There's a LOT more in my gallery, showing V3 to V4/Genesis.

Basically I converted all my _samildinach_ V3 textures to V4 via the TC2, and I continue to use them; both on V4 and on Genesis.

I did have one spectacular failure - it was a Vali V3 character called "Borg" or something like that, where the texture consisted of stripes across the torso and hips, simulating an outfit. The stripes did NOT line up correctly, no matter what I did. But I have found the vast majority of my V3 textures convert 99.9% happily to V4. I rarely convert plain textures - all the textures I do convert are similar to _samil's,where they are fantasy type textures, with more than just one-colour skin, or plain makeup.

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Thanks ... added to my cart. I don't use genesis, anyway, so it will suit me needs fine :D

edited December 1969

i think the PA sale is not too far away, so you could wait a bit and see if he goes on sale, unless you need it right away. :D

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    i think the PA sale is not too far away, so you could wait a bit and see if he goes on sale, unless you need it right away. :D

No, not right away. So I will keep in in my cart until the sale. Thanks, again ... :D

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Those are rather interesting, I must admit. However, those are just one version of Victoria to another, so of course it looks alright there. But what would happen if I tried to apply something like an Aiko 3 texture to an Aiko 4 with a significant blending of V4 and S4 with some Evolutionary Morphs?

Either way, I may finally cave in and decide to give it a try myself once the sale occurs.

edited December 1969

Those are rather interesting, I must admit. However, those are just one version of Victoria to another, so of course it looks alright there. But what would happen if I tried to apply something like an Aiko 3 texture to an Aiko 4 with a significant blending of V4 and S4 with some Evolutionary Morphs?

Either way, I may finally cave in and decide to give it a try myself once the sale occurs.

you got me there, i have no idea. Although teh morphs shouldn't make a difference?
    I remember something about the Aiko 3 mats....there are problems with the legs/hip when putting on V3 I think, so you may have problems ...I THINK.

Remember the 30 day refund policy - you could pick it up, convert madly and see what you think, and if it'doens't do what you want, return it.

Hmm I remember converting a goth M3 texture to V4 also....I was mainly interested in the face texture for it tho as she was fully clothed.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited August 2012

Doesn't matter, A3 and V3 UVmaps are almost identical, V4/A4/S4 are the same UVmap. Now, with Genesis even a V4 UVmap can get distorted with an extreme shape, but that's a separate issue.

ETA: The issue with A3/H3 UVmaps vs. the other Gen 3 figures is that A3/H3 have an extra material zone for the legs, but it's just an issue of telling them to use the same body texture jpg for the extra zone.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:

No, not right away. So I will keep in in my cart until the sale. Thanks, again ... :D

I think the PA sale is in November, right after the Platinum Club anniversary sale in October. So it may be a bit of a wait.

edited December 1969

No rush ...

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

For what its worth, my experience with the original texture converter is that it is very good for organic textures like makeup or furry skins and very bad for uniform type jumpsuits.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited August 2012

No rush ...

And according to today's email (which also contains a teaser for Stephanie 5) from DAZ, I was off by about two months. Apparently it starts September 1. So assuming 3DUniverse is in the sale, you won't have to wait more than six weeks at the outside, if they go the last day of the sale.

For what it's worth, with M3 to M4 conversions using Texture Converter 2, I've found that you get some very noticeable stretching on the back of the head, so you absolutely must use a full head of hair on the character, but that covers it. You also get some stretching from the armpit into the chest. It isn't in an of itself all that noticeable; I saw it because the texture that I converted was photo-referenced and had armpit hair, which got stretched into this weird topiary line across the bottom of his pectorals. With a hairless texture, I don't think that would be all that noticeable.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    No rush ...

And according to today's email (which also contains a teaser for Stephanie 5) from DAZ, I was off by about two months. Apparently it starts September 1. So assuming 3DUniverse is in the sale, you won't have to wait more than six weeks at the outside, if they go the last day of the sale.

For what it's worth, with M3 to M4 conversions using Texture Converter 2, I've found that you get some very noticeable stretching on the back of the head, so you absolutely must use a full head of hair on the character, but that covers it. You also get some stretching from the armpit into the chest. It isn't in an of itself all that noticeable; I saw it because the texture that I converted was photo-referenced and had armpit hair, which got stretched into this weird topiary line across the bottom of his pectorals. With a hairless texture, I don't think that would be all that noticeable.

Thanks for tip :D

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2012

I found some really cool, old-school scifi mats for V3 that I'd like to put on my V4 characters. How hard would that really be?

If the mats are for Vorg (http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3d2own.htm) - I was able to put all these mats on A3 (thanks fixmypcmike) with very good results. Try loading the head and body mats (in appropriate areas of surfaces tab) as bump mats & adjusting to 100%, -.5, +.5. Turn off eyebrows.

I'm going to try the Zombie http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3d2own.htm & NewsBabe - Rene http://www.artraiders.com/download_page.php?file_id=109 for V3 next.

I'm finally able to use these mats- very kewl!

Screen_shot_2012-11-30_at_10.38_.40_AM_.png
    549 x 291 - 249K
    Screen_shot_2012-11-30_at_10.36_.53_AM_.png
    492 x 381 - 246K
    Post edited by Marshian on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Someone COULD create V3 UVS for Genesis... Now, I'm no good at doing that. But since Genesis supports multiple UVS, it can be done. And UVMapper can be used to share those UVS without sharing the actual mesh. That said, it's not going to be perfect, just like the V4 UVS on Genesis are not a perfect match.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

Remapping Genesis to take V3 uv's is tricky...I've been noodling away at it for kicks in my spare time, but the actual mesh layout is different, particularly around the neck seam, which is where the head & body maps are split for V3. So you get a creepy frankensteiny throat or back-of-head no matter where you decide to split it, not a nice clean line.

Texture converter 2 works very well for me, but of course it would be nice to be able to just load up existing MATs without extra steps