[Solved] Hexagon is not loading anymore

edited September 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi, I changed my PC making a migration of the installed software using PCMover. (New PC has Win7 64 Pro, Intel i7 3770, Radeon 7950 and 32 Gb RAM).

While Studio 3 and 4 work fine, Hexagon is not loading anymore: called by its icon or inside DAZ Studio, he shows its splash screen then the message "Hexagon 2.5.1 has stopped working" appears and it quits.

I tried uninstalling it, deleting all the references of it in Window's Registry, and installing it again, but the result is always the same.

Any idea on what is wrong, please?:(

Post edited by mario.cicalese2_d6b65131db on

Comments

• fonpaolofonpaolo Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

Very strange, mine works perfectly, almost same configuration (except Radeon...), Nvidia here.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

MCMXC said:
    Hi, I changed my PC making a migration of the installed software using PCMover. (New PC has Win7 64 Pro, Intel i7 3770, Radeon 7950 and 32 Gb RAM).

While Studio 3 and 4 work fine, Hexagon is not loading anymore: called by its icon or inside DAZ Studio, he shows its splash screen then the message "Hexagon 2.5.1 has stopped working" appears and it quits.

I tried uninstalling it, deleting all the references of it in Window's Registry, and installing it again, but the result is always the same.

Any idea on what is wrong, please?:(

Have you deleted Hexagon folder from here C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D ? I dont know an easyier way to get to the appdata folder but what I do is goto DS 4 and goto preferences and at the bottom of general you should see C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp but your user name will be different just copy and paste whats in there and work back to the daz 3d folder you will see the hexagon folder as it is where it holds the config files for it maybe if you havent deleted it it could be picking it up in the re-install.

Just a thought.

Sal.

edited August 2012

First, try to give Administrator privileges to the .exe file, this will avoid almost every trouble.
    If after this isn't still working, disable UAC.
    (sometimes UAC blocks Microsoft programs too!)

If you disable UAC, I hope you have a good antivirus and firewall installed.

Post edited by fonpaolo on
  • edited December 1969

> Have you deleted Hexagon folder from here C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D ?

Yes, nothing:(

> If you disable UAC, I hope you have a good antivirus and firewall installed.

...proud of never used UAC!:D

edited August 2012

Last hint, find the exe file and give it administrator privileges (right click, properties...)

...and I hope you didn't install Hex in "C:/Program Files"

• edited December 1969

C:\Program Files(x86), I have a 64 bit system^_____^;;;

edited December 1969

MCMXC said:
    C:\Program Files(x86), I have a 64 bit system^_____^;;;

That’s the problem!!!

Uninstall it and put in every folder but not in “C:/Program Files”, then all the problems you have are gone.

• edited December 1969

Tried it, nothing again:(

Oh well, after all I use Lightwave 3D as my modeler, so no big loss, but... it's just that was so comfy having the "Send to Hexagon" button to quickly create morphs...

edited August 2012

MCMXC said:
    Tried it, nothing again:(

Oh well, after all I use Lightwave 3D as my modeler, so no big loss, but... it's just that was so comfy having the "Send to Hexagon" button to quickly create morphs...

Oh, now it's strange! :-/

I installed almost every old program in W7 64bit with no problem and all at the first installation.
    (some won't run, but after all they're 16 bit or DOS...)

• edited December 1969

Yes, very strange:/

• edited August 2012

Just a total shot in the dark here...

Look in these 2 files and make sure that all the listed hexagon-relevant directories are correct:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\DAZ 3D\dzInstall.ini
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DAZ 3D\dzInstall.ini

Also, DAZ products create directory stubs for its products that hold rather innocuous looking data such as preferences and shortcuts and the like. I suspect it doesn't harm anything to leave them there when you do a reinstall, but I've never trusted them - IOW, I delete them before doing a reinstall. The hexagon directory stub is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Hexagon 2

BTW, deleting this directory AFTER installation effectively resets your hexagon to default, and hexagon will create a new one. Even that may be something you can try.

I'm admittedly grasping at straws here, but at this point even lame suggestions may yield a clue.

ADD:
    After rereading the thread and looking at your and Sal's exchange, it looks like you're running win7. My data is XP style, but the gist is the same.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
    edited December 1969

Not exactly, in W7 you have to hunt for "...Roaming/AppData/..."
    ...and the best/fast way is to use "Search".

• edited December 1969

Thanks, I tried this too, but still nothing:(

edited December 1969

Last try: update video drivers...

After that , I surrender! :down:

• edited December 1969

...well... let's hope for the release of a new version:/

• LaschaeLaschae Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

The same thing happened to me and I got Hex to start working again in my new computer. If you have the Catalyst Control Center installed you can find under the Gaming tab the 3D application settings and check off anything that would stop the program from using it's default settings. I think that I had the triple buffering checked and it was messing up Hex because when I unchecked it Hex worked. Good luck!

• edited December 1969

Laschae said:
    If you have the Catalyst Control Center installed...

DOH!!! Excellent tip!

I can't believe that got past me - anytime I see graphics problems on a system with an ATI card, the first thing I usually think of is "catalyst".

This may not look like a "graphics problem" per se, but it could be.

But my standard advice is to simply remove catalyst completely (or not install it at all) whether it's causing problems or not. I've seen catalyst cause problems, but I've never seen a case where catalyst actually fixes or even improves anything.

I think even ATI is starting to get the hint since in the last few years they've started including an uninstaller specifically designed to remove the catalyst control center.

So I'd say just get rid of it and see if that helps. You can always reinstall it if it doesn't.

edited December 1969

When I went back and looked in the catalyst the triple buffering has something to do with OpenGL so I think it might be likely that was the problem for me. I had Hex open all day yesterday and no problems :)

• edited September 2012

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disabling the "Triple Buffer" in the OpenGL settings of the CCC solved the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by mario.cicalese2_d6b65131db on
    edited December 1969

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy I could help :D

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969