OT. Retrieved objects from Fallout 3 and rendered it.

Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I finally thought seriously about getting stuff from a computer-game, import it into DAZ Studio and render it. I watched this tutorial at Youtube to see how they do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP3QRnGPfE
("How to extract and get 3D models fro Skyrim to 3DS max modify them")

It pretty much works the same way with Fallout 3, so that's how I got the power-armor and the helmet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/7754730072/sizes/c/in/photostream/

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Tali, from Mass Effect, without the frigging mask obscuring her face. The mesh doesn't have eye colour so I gave her creepy blue eyes.

Tali_ReflectionDispersa_ID.png
    900 x 675 - 683K
  • Nester751Nester751 Posts: 363
    edited August 2012

Very cool. I've seen some exporting into a program called Gmod that allows moving game models in a similar manner. It's interface is to use a series of controls in game. Tons of youtube videos on Gmod. Also Valve has released Source Film maker which includes many source game models. I wonder if it's possible to export Poser or Daz Studio items into the Source Film maker? Should be possible.... could be some interesting results. Valve's download is through Steam. I haven't tried it out because it's (free too) a 10 gig download (due to all the included models). Lots of TF2 videos showing what can be done with it.

Post edited by Nester751 on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I got a notice from Lynda.com about some learning techniques, creating stuff for a game using Maya and Photoshop. Importing into the Unity3D engine, baking textures and so on. Is there anybody here with some experience using Unity3D? I have some experience using Valve's Source-engine, making maps for Counter Strike: Source, so I'm not a complete newbie.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I have gone the other way and used rigged Unity figures in Carrara (not studio, need full fbx import) and also iClone
    Have Unity but too busy to mess with it much, Carrara rigging imports and low poly Daz figures, I cannot get V4 etc in dressed though, too high poly and I do not have decimator.
    still trying with Gmax import script and GTA San Andreas, no luck there and not prepared to buy Zmodeler full version to use game assets I cannot legally render in art anyway!

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

It is cool, but is it legal?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    It is cool, but is it legal?

I did ask some time back and am assured it is leagal as long as it is only for personal use, but any distribution would not be.
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Distribution of the mesh or the image being rendered? Technically, posting it here is distribution of an image. If we are allowed to post images then Joy:) I have a couple of meshes that have being laying around.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes as I said I did check when the topic was first posted. And there was an image even then.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2012

well maybe someone could help me with my GTA San Andreas/Gmax GTA tools max script dillema then?
    I can run the import script and get the import window but cannot resize it to get the import buttons, it stays skinny and can only be lengthened not widened using the drag arrows, soooo close but outa reach

Untitled.png
    1924 x 1078 - 307K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8305678902/in/photostream

I'll resurrect this old thread with some new-ish Christmas greetings. :)

8305678902_3ecf402672_c.jpg
    800 x 640 - 370K
  • chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 2012

There's a freebie program called NiffScope that allows you to extract game meshes from any of the Bethesda games... It can also convert to obj. format and export texture maps. It's one of the modding tools regularily mentioned in the modding community for the ElderScrolls Games and Fallout... It can also be used to import characters into the games from obj format... although I haven't got the know-how to set the figures up for game functionality...

As for legaility... as noted above distribution wouldn't be legal of any meshes extracted from the game... but Bethesda also supports the modding community by including tools like the Garden of Eden Creation Kit, that allows you to make your own mods for the game that can be shared as freebies... of course you'd still have to make your own meshes for those mods and would have to legally have the right to use any purchased meshes in that manner...

Post edited by chrisschell on
  • ralfanaterralfanater Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

how do i get the models. and install them into the files.