Confused about Carrara Pro 8 to 8.5 upgrade

nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been using Carrara on and off for the past few years, installing and uninstalling it since version 2, but I haven't been a serious user lately. But now the 8.5 version looks really good, especially now that it works with Daz Studio and Genesis.

So I already own Carrara Pro 8.1.1.12 - WIn 64 bit, with a serial number. Then I installed 8.5.0.132 - WIn 64 bit (I assumed it was a free upgrade) but the serial number for 8.1 won't work with 8.5. Is this because 8.5 is a paid upgrade? I didn't see any options to pay for this upgrade, which is why I assumed it was free for all version 8 users?

It's not the most recent (beta) version, but it is listed in my available downloads.

So what am I missing? I only have a serial number for version 8?

Thanks for any assistance!

Lee

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

This is because you didn't read what's written in C8.5 thread pinned right at the top of this forum. Go and read it.

• nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    This is because you didn't read what's written in C8.5 thread pinned right at the top of this forum. Go and read it.

Yes I did read that, but I thought that CARRARA 8.5.0.172 was a beta release, where the one I have in my download section (8.5.0.132) was an actual full release of 8.5.

So I'm guessing now that ALL 8.5 releases are still basically betas, and the one I have is just expired?

edited December 1969

Okay, I found the 8.5 serial number in the thread, and that seems to work.

The other thing that confused me was that when I installed my the 8.5 release that I had in my downloads list, it required me to uninstall 8.1, but the postings say NOT to uninstall 8.1 with the latest beta release.

Well anyway, I got it working okay. My slowness to understand is caused by my impatience to read through 5 pages of posts. :red:

Thanks for your guidance.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Did you pay for it? 8.5 wont be a free update.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:

Damn.
    Sometimes it doesn't pay to come and ask questions.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Ascania said:

Damn.
    Sometimes it doesn't pay to come and ask questions.

That's okay, I'm used to rudeness on the Internet, it's just another fact of life, you either live with it or let it eat you up inside.:coolsmile: