mac users and the new daz zips - it is dead easy and quick

estheresther Posts: 608
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Use this utility to merge your runtimes wherever you want them.
You do NOT have to place your subfolders manually one by one despite what the pdf that daz gave us for installing their new zips says.
well you probably all know this already and have found a way, but in case you are new this is a really good way to merge your stuff eg two runtimes together:-
http://www.ilike.co.nz/SoftwareDev/dittoGUI.html
I'm pretty sure the latest OS for mac has an inbuilt merging method anyway, but I am still on snow leopard OS X.

DAZ - i think this should be added to your pdf please.

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I use a fairly straightforward Applescript compiled into an application. Just drag and drop a folder, wait a few moments or minutes (depending on number and size of files) and it is copied into My Library.

on open droppedItems

display dialog "How to handle existing files?" buttons {"Overwrite", "Cancel", "Skip"} default button 3
     if (button returned of result) is "Overwrite" then
      set overwriteOption to "f"
     else
      set overwriteOption to "n"
     end if

repeat with thisItem in droppedItems
      if (folder of (info for thisItem without size)) is true then
       get quoted form of POSIX path of thisItem

try
        do shell script "cd " & result & "; /bin/cp -RP" & overwriteOption & " ./* ~/Documents/DAZ\\ 3D/Studio/My\\ Library/"
       on error errorMsg number errorNum
        display dialog "Error (" & errorNum & "):" & return & return & errorMsg buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
       end try
      end if
     end repeat

display dialog "Script finished." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon note
    end open

(Derived in part from a sample script I found online and lost the link to long ago.)

This assumes that your My Library folder is in the default location. If it isn't, adjust the path in the script accordingly.

A "exited with non-zero status" error message may occur sometimes. This is a non-critical error, probably indicating a duplicate file somewhere. I have never had a product fail to work after this error.

After use, the original folder may be safely deleted.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

and if there are already contents in my library, does it merge the two folders?
    Because merging not copying is the thing I'm trying to tell everyone about.
    Love esther

edited December 1969

Yes, it merges. Drag and drop, and everything falls right into place in your existing folder without harming anything that's already there.

edited December 1969

great.
    well there is no reason for anyone to manually move all the subfolders hey.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

Don't forget that this is only the first half of the system - there will also be an install manager that will take care of the merging for you, if you wish to use it.

edited December 1969

I must have stopped reading the pdf too early. I stopped when it said to manually put all the subfolders into the correct runtime folder structure when you have decided where you want the files installed.
    Love esther

• edited December 1969

I use a fairly straightforward Applescript compiled into an application. Just drag and drop a folder, wait a few moments or minutes (depending on number and size of files) and it is copied into My Library.

on open droppedItems

display dialog "How to handle existing files?" buttons {"Overwrite", "Cancel", "Skip"} default button 3
     if (button returned of result) is "Overwrite" then
      set overwriteOption to "f"
     else
      set overwriteOption to "n"
     end if

repeat with thisItem in droppedItems
      if (folder of (info for thisItem without size)) is true then
       get quoted form of POSIX path of thisItem

try
        do shell script "cd " & result & "; /bin/cp -RP" & overwriteOption & " ./* ~/Documents/DAZ\\ 3D/Studio/My\\ Library/"
       on error errorMsg number errorNum
        display dialog "Error (" & errorNum & "):" & return & return & errorMsg buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
       end try
      end if
     end repeat

display dialog "Script finished." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon note
    end open

(Derived in part from a sample script I found online and lost the link to long ago.)

This assumes that your My Library folder is in the default location. If it isn't, adjust the path in the script accordingly.

A "exited with non-zero status" error message may occur sometimes. This is a non-critical error, probably indicating a duplicate file somewhere. I have never had a product fail to work after this error.

After use, the original folder may be safely deleted.

That's awesome - thanks for posting!

edited December 1969

Don't forget that this is only the first half of the system - there will also be an install manager that will take care of the merging for you, if you wish to use it.

That doesn't help at all until the install manager is actually released. It's been coming "soon" for how many months now?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

And if you split your content so you have over a dozen *different* libraries, and want to install things specifically into only one of them?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,731
    edited December 1969

As far as I know, from what has been said, the install manager will have options to pick the destination folder as the current installers do.