Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• Mr TedMr Ted Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Sorry I haven't responded to this till now, saw it a few days ago but you know how it is working late and all that. But I can't find the file that starts with User, let alone preferences or anything of the sort.

Used to be so easy, but since I got the new MBP already running 10.8.?, now running 10.8.5, nothing is in the spot I used to be able to find it! I couldn't even copy and paste the path in the link into spotlight to try to find it that way.:red:

Got any more advice?

Thanks!

Ted

Yes in 10.7 10.8 they hid the user library directory. There is a simple way to show it all the time without changing the directory attributes but I can't find it. We did it on my wifes. But here is a quick and easy way. HOld down option (alt if using a non-apple keyboard) while you go to the GO menu in finder, it will show additional folders. You can select Library from there. Once that folder is open then you can go into preferences:DAZ 3D:Carrara etc. I believe thats what you would do. I don't have Carrara currently installed on the Mac here to test if this is the exact place.

Also what Addict said :)

Okay, I just found the time (and nerve) to attempt this. I get to the preferences document and scroll through it a number if times and I can't find anything that says intf or font at all. Where would it be? There's a spot where it skips a few spaces and then starts over, could it have actually just gotten deleted somehow? Would it work if I were to type the suggested text in? And where if I did?

Thnaks again!

• edited November 2014

Carrara is a great piece of software and the upgrade cost of less than $100 is completely justified in my point of view if you look deeper; not to mention the beta public build that's now available to most users, which is paving the way for some great bug fixes, optimizations and improved features. I simply don't get the, "in to today's economy it's not worth the price" when you can't read the patch notes and understand why it may or may not be viable for you. We're talking about powerful 3D software here. Not a plugin for Blender or the likes.

Addendum: I'm not trying to be a jerk to anyone. I'm simply sharing my opinion and POV on the subject. Happy Creating!

Post edited by Dirty South Designs on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

is there a way to turn off the skeleton layer view of genesis?

it isn't necessary to see that, is it?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I do believe Fenric had a plugin to fix that. I don't think I can link to it directly as I think he sells it himself. There was a thread very recently that talked about it. If I can find it, I will link to the thread here.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

I posted your question here where it may get more traffic.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48708/P345/#734696

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Misty, I sent you a PM with the link to Fenric's, Change Bone Visibility plugin.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

thanks. :) vision clutter :P

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

Ever try to purchase (or for free) Carrara in the DAZ front page? Only see DS. In the past I had bad things with DS, and never will go back to it. Can not see any Carrara in the shop.

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That is for the Carrara stuff. How about the software itself. Try from page main page.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Robo2010 said:

That is for the Carrara stuff. How about the software itself. Try from page main page.

That link, under resources and software 4th icon along

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It won't show it for you if you already own it.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

We found no results for 'Carrara 8.5 pro upgrade' but you may find the following results relevant:

Doesn't appear to be an upgrade path for C8.1 owners?

• zgockzgock Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Geograft bug fixed on new release? or still buggy?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

zgock said:
    Geograft bug fixed on new release? or still buggy?

Sorry. Still one of the known issues.
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    We found no results for 'Carrara 8.5 pro upgrade' but you may find the following results relevant:

IIRC the store should automatically adjust the price for owners for owners of previous owners.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

Just installed 8.5.1.19.

Really liking the new adjustable font size. Also, my previous issue with pose controls/ head not appearing is now solved (wasn't a bug all along, just me being noob and didn't select head bone). So that's good...

Hotkeys and custom preferences ported over automatically. My Objects My Shaders My Clips also auto-loaded completely. Cool...

The only mysteries...

1. PostGres Valentina Conversion, seems to have installed according to DIM but shown as 803kb pre-installed then appeared as 0KB in the DIM 'installed' category. It did take about a minute to install. Probably not an issue?

2. Browser:Scene, Objects, Shaders etc are empty. Only My Presets are loaded in Browser. Do I need to uninstall previous version of Carrara for all Carrara shipped default files, presets and content to reappear in the respective Browser tabs?

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I had been holding off on installing Postgre since I was still using the last version of Carrara - so I just installed it now after installing the Carrarra update and I then installed the converter - how do I know if the converter worked? I was working on some other things and just left it to run so I have no idea how fast it ran, just that it finished. All my content shows up in both studio (although it is nowcompletely gone in the studio BETA) and Carrara the same as far as I can tell so I guess I don't have any issues?

If I open up Windows Task Manager postgres.exe doesn't appear under processes while just Carrara is open but if I open studio it shows up in the list seven times - is that correct?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    1. PostGres Valentina Conversion, seems to have installed according to DIM but shown as 803kb pre-installed then appeared as 0KB in the DIM 'installed' category. It did take about a minute to install. Probably not an issue?

The conversion utility doesn't actually install files - it does the conversion when the installer runs it (as long as the Valentina database isn't corrupt).

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I take it back - smart content is not working in Carrara since installing the update. Only items I have bought since changing from Valentina to postgres appear. It was all there the first time I checked after downloading the Carrara update but the next time I went into the program it was gone.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    2. Browser:Scene, Objects, Shaders etc are empty. Only My Presets are loaded in Browser. Do I need to uninstall previous version of Carrara for all Carrara shipped default files, presets and content to reappear in the respective Browser tabs?

Nope. Just re-install both of the Carrara Native Content packages into the new Carrara software directory. If that was the case, you'll likely also need to re-install any plug-ins and such to the new Carrara 8.5.1.19 path. Make sure to go into DIM and add the new directory location to your Carrara application paths.

This was probably done that way to allow folks to run both versions side-by-side without the need to uninstall. The reason that some stuff already came across is because they both (previous 8.5 and 8.5.1.19) share the same preferences file. So if you change preferences in one, it will change both, just so you know....

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

@Richard - thanks for explaining 'why 0kb'. Got it.

Nope. Just re-install both of the Carrara Native Content packages into the new Carrara software directory. If that was the case, you'll likely also need to re-install any plug-ins and such to the new Carrara 8.5.1.19 path.

Thanks for the tips. So I gather it's better to re-install native content packs than manually copy paste the content folders to the latest Carrara? How about "add folder" from within the latest Carrara Browser tab? Will that break things?
    Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

It's been a while since I upgraded, but I think when you add 8.5 to your cart it will show in your cart at the upgrade price...

edited December 1969

It’s been a while since I upgraded, but I think when you add 8.5 to your cart it will show in your cart at the upgrade price…

OK, so I took it all the away to checkout - look at this maths $285 - $199.50 = $0! OK, I'll take it at that price - but it won't let me place the order:)

Says the requested payment method is not available, without giving me the option of putting in credit card details.

BuyC.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 219K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited May 2015

Heh!
    I tried it and it shows up in my cart for a net price of $32.50, but then I already own it. I got the upgrade during March Madness last year and paid $27.68; I recall that the regular upgrade price might have been $85...

EDIT; it seems to be on sale for 40% off right now....

I'd send in a support ticket...

Post edited by WandW on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

How do you make this thing not install into the program files in Windows. Install manager keeps creating a folder for it under program files. I already have a Carrara 8.5 directory set, and DIM keeps adding another.

I deleted my old one and changed the directory path, but DIM reinstalls to Program Files.

ncamp

edited December 1969

I have no intention of buying until some serious improvements are made, just testing the system:)

From the queries I see here, looks like the whole thing is in a pretty messy state.

Maybe I'll just wait until Carrara reaches the Hexagon price of, what, $5 - shouldn't be too long...

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    I have no intention of buying until some serious improvements are made, just testing the system:)

From the queries I see here, looks like the whole thing is in a pretty messy state.

Maybe I'll just wait until Carrara reaches the Hexagon price of, what, $5 - shouldn't be too long...

I think I would try to get it for $0 if you can, at least it's worth a try! :) Throw in a one of the pc club $1.99 items to the cart and see if you can't get both Carrara 8.5 and some useful but inexpensive content item together for around 2 bucks... :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    How do you make this thing not install into the program files in Windows. Install manager keeps creating a folder for it under program files. I already have a Carrara 8.5 directory set, and DIM keeps adding another.

I deleted my old one and changed the directory path, but DIM reinstalls to Program Files.

ncamp

in the settings of the DiM select the installation tab and enter your preferred settings for 64 bit & 32 bit software

diminstal.jpg
    537 x 513 - 47K
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited May 2015

Stezza said:
    ncamp said:

ncamp

in the settings of the DiM select the installation tab and enter your preferred settings for 64 bit & 32 bit software

Thanks, but I know that. It ignored the existing Carrara 8.5 entry and added another under program files.

I deleted the first and repointed the second to C:\DAZ 3D and it added yet another Carrara 8.5 pointing to Program files.

Carrara_Install_Problem.png
    559 x 523 - 56K
    Post edited by ncamp on