DAZ Studio 4.5 release date

wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Does anyone know when DAZ studio 4.5 will be released? I ask, because i am not sure if it is better to wait for the release or install DAZ studio 4.0x again after my PC crashed...

Post edited by wizard1200 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,343
    edited December 1969

We're unsure when it will be released but I would imagine sometime soon.

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
    edited August 2012

Thank you for the fast answer. Does "soon" mean a few days or weeks?

Post edited by wizard1200 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited December 1969

I'm also wondering if it will be free like 4.0. Has that been announced? I'm afraid to update to the RC, which is not backwards compatible with 4.0, if it will cost too much money for the released version.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the fast answer. Does "soon" mean a few days or weeks?

It means daz soon so a few months is not out of the question.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

From my "Glossary for noobs" (now renamed "Glossary of Terms - for those new to Digital Art and DAZ 3D")
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

DAZ soon: 1- A general good natured attempt at relating an unspecified or incomprehensible time frame to human understanding. 2- An expression of a theory in quantum physics where time actually stops. 3- Equal to or greater than a Epoch. 4- Wishful thinking.

I'm not sure if any of the official dictionaries are picking that one up yet.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

From my "Glossary for noobs" (now renamed "Glossary of Terms - for those new to Digital Art and DAZ 3D")
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

DAZ soon: 1- A general good natured attempt at relating an unspecified or incomprehensible time frame to human understanding. 2- An expression of a theory in quantum physics where time actually stops. 3- Equal to or greater than a Epoch. 4- Wishful thinking.

I'm not sure if any of the official dictionaries are picking that one up yet.

Good definition
    #5 might be - at an unspecified time in some future timeline maybe

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, will it be possible to update DAZ studio 4.0x to DAZ studio 4.5 without a reinstall? In that case i could install 4.0x now and as "soon" as 4.5 is released i could simply update it.

edited December 1969

I'm unsure if you'll be able to have both installed. I know with the RC 4.5 it uninstalled 4.0

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, will it be possible to update DAZ studio 4.0x to DAZ studio 4.5 without a reinstall? In that case i could install 4.0x now and as "soon" as 4.5 is released i could simply update it.

The normal update process is that the installer for the new version asks to uninstall the old version, then installs itself, so technically there is a reinstall, but this only affects Studio itself and does not affect your content. Installing 4.0.3.47 now and 4.5 when it comes out will be fine, it's what everyone else will be doing too ;)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I'm also wondering if it will be free like 4.0. Has that been announced? I'm afraid to update to the RC, which is not backwards compatible with 4.0, if it will cost too much money for the released version.

Studio 4.0 wasn't originally free. If I remember right it was a few hundred at launch; and prelaunch. It was several weeks after launch; and after quite a few people had bought it, that DAZ made it free.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited August 2012

DS4 Standard was free. DAZ was going to charge for it as they were going to release a "DS4 Lite" or "Beginner" but never did. DS4S stayed free until DS4Pro became free.

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited August 2012

ManStan said:
    barbult said:

Studio 4.0 wasn't originally free. If I remember right it was a few hundred at launch; and prelaunch. It was several weeks after launch; and after quite a few people had bought it, that DAZ made it free.

It was more like 5+ months not weeks.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

adamr001 said:
    DS4 Standard was free. DAZ was going to charge for it as they were going to release a "DS4 Lite" or "Beginner" but never did. DS4S stayed free until DS4Pro became free.

I actually "purchased" DS4 in September 2011, and I only "buy" free versions of DS so Adam is completly correct with what he says.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My bad, studio4 pro cost hundreds and after people preordered it, and a few weeks after quite a few people paid full price for it, DAZ made it free; and why I will never pay for studio or any of it's plugins, you never know if after you have paid for DAZ will make it free.

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It sounds fair, that daz will upgrade all users that bought the ds4 pro with real money and didn't go for a refunds.
    give a free update to the final dazstudio 5 ProPro user
    and give the normal pro 4.5 version (standard version) for free to all who download the free version and some option to those people to update at special price.

that sounds fair for all people that lost money!

edited December 1969

It sounds fair, that daz will upgrade all users that bought the ds4 pro with real money and didn't go for a refunds.
    and give the normal pro 4.5 version (standard version) for free to all who download the free version and some option to those people to update at special price.

Couple issues with your line of reasoning.

I don't see them making up new features for a PROPRO version. And if they took away features from the PRO version so the PROPRO was somehow better why would free users upgrade to a more restricted version?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I notice there's a (currently not readable) announcement sitting at the top of the forum:

"Get DAZ Studio 4.5! See why you should switch to it today!"

Is that new? And if so I'd say 'soon' just got upgraded to 'incoming!'

edited December 1969

lol yeah I noticed that link wasn't working either.

edited December 1969

Homepage has been updated to show it off as well.

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101
    edited December 1969
  • Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

But if you lost money it will be of your own doing as daz told all that wanted it sorted out to contact them and thay would have arranged something on a per person basis, guess if your wounds still open you should have taken up the offer.

ok I did'nt pay as much as you did for Daz Studio 4 pro but I paid for Hexagon and Bryce 7 Pro But if the money helps development I dont mind.

Sal.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

CauriB said:

Is it the release candidate??????

edited December 1969

It is the release edition, not the candidate edition. :)

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    It is the release edition, not the candidate edition. :)

Doh!! I meant, is it the General Release? The one that is done, finished, fixed etc. and can be used out-of-the-box with no fuss... I'm hoping to migrate to DS4P in the near future from DS3A.

edited December 1969

Yup, that's what I meant. it's the general release.

edited December 1969

Nice nice nice!!!! Whoohooo!!!!

I'm gonna download.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think this thread is answered now. LIVE! Five by Five!

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One last question. Will we need a new serial # for this or will the Studio 4 Pro one we already have still work? Reason I ask, is I reset my Downloads for Studio 4 and the new 4.5 version is there, but I checked my Available Serial #'s and still only have the old one for Studio 4 Pro showing on my account.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

One last question. Will we need a new serial # for this or will the Studio 4 Pro one we already have still work? Reason I ask, is I reset my Downloads for Studio 4 and the new 4.5 version is there, but I checked my Available Serial #'s and still only have the old one for Studio 4 Pro showing on my account.

Quote from other thread
    "This version is available to all customers and will run either with or without a serial number - (You will be asked to enter a serial number each time you launch the application until you do so. You may also use your current DAZ Studio 4.x serial number. "
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Quote from other thread
    "This version is available to all customers and will run either with or without a serial number - (You will be asked to enter a serial number each time you launch the application until you do so. You may also use your current DAZ Studio 4.x serial number. "
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/ I know that was for the Beta/Release Candidates, but what about the final 4.5 release that is now available? I've been using RC3 and it worked fine with my 4.0 pro #. I just don't want to update to the final release to only find it won't start without a new serial #. So i would like an administrator-someone "in the know" to respond to my original question.