Merging 2 primitive objects?

quickxoticaquickxotica Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi,

Is it possible to merge two primitive objects into a single object so that they can both be assigned as a single collision item to nearby clothing? I ask because we are limited to assigning only a single collision item, and I have created an seat that is made of several primitives and I would like to be able to get clothing to collide with more than one surface of it.

DS4Pro. Win 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

Comments

• TimmothTimmoth Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

I'm not an expert but I think not. You'd probably need something like Hexagon for that.
    You could try creating an invisible primitive around all the others and have that as the collision object?
    Of course the shape wouldn't match exactly though...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You could try parenting the two objects to a 'Null' (Create > New Null) and selecting the null object is the same as selecting both of the primitives. It is the same idea as Timmoth's suggestion, but easier to work with.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Actually Jimmy, creating a Null, by default, sets it at 0,0,0, but that's most likely not where the 2 primitives are, so if I were to try something like this with a Null, I'd create the Null, position it to near (or possibly surround) the primitives and THEN parent the primitives to the Null. Otherwise the Null could be sitting "down on the floor" so to speak, and the primitives could be slightly higher, over to the left or right, or further back, from where the Null is, and I'm not sure if that would produce the desired effect.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

Save the primative out as a OBJ, tell DS to weld them together. Then import it back into the scene.

There are several ways to do it:

- have just the desired items in your scene and do the export.

- Turn off in the scene tab everything but the desidred items and export

- Use the OBJ2PP2 exporter for DAZ Studio which will save out the OBJ, make a PP2 for it as well and automatically shut off all non relatd items in the scene during the operation. The latest version of the OBJ2PP2 exporter is here - http://www.mediafire.com/?3m5gbz5f8bjjgjm

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I should have said that the null would have to be moved from the default position, but i thought that was obvious. Thank you for pointing it out.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm with Mattymanx on this one. The PP2 exporter is the way to go for simple props.

• quickxoticaquickxotica Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will try to search & read-up on this exporter thingie since I have never done that before. If I succeed I will report back with great praise and thanks to you all! :-)

• rickylbodkinrickylbodkin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello all,

I am trying to get my .3ds files into DAZ.

I open the file in Bryce 7, then I transfer the helicopter to DAZ 4.5 with no problems. I downloaded the OBJ2PP2 Exporter.

Since I am new to DAZ I need to know how I put the different parts of the helicopter together so i can export the entire helicopter.

Right now it does export but I can only select one section of the object.

Thank you for your help in advance.

edited September 2012

On Win7 Just hold down Ctrl to Multi-select all the parts. While holding Ctrl select one after the other they should all stay selected.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited September 2012

I can do that, but the problem is that after I select all the parts and try to export to PP2 formate with the PP2 Exporter (OBJ2PP2 Exporter) is says "You must select an item in the scene first".

I can select one part of the helicopter and export it with no problem, but I want to export it all as one object (prop) so i can open it up in a scene later. I need to do this with airplanes, cars and multiple other objects, each seperatly so I can go and grab them for a scene when I need them.

Thanks,
    Rick

Post edited by rickylbodkin on
    edited September 2012

That is odd, I use PP2 Exporter just for that reason multi-select works. Maybe OBJ2PP2 is different. Let me look. Nope It's the one I use, I forgot a step. Export multi-selected as obj in daz Settings with Weld Selected. Reimport new Obj with Daz settings then use PP2 export.

edited December 1969

That would be great.

I know you can only export a figure (human or animal) to .cr2 format.

It seems like there would be a work around to do this for a complicated prop like a helicopter or other prop.

Thank you for looking into the subject and I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
    Rick

edited September 2012

Using File> Export> you get a Drop down list of the different save formats. Just pick Wavefront Object. Then set as DAZ at 100% and save. Then Import new Object, It will all be 1 object named what you saved it as.

Tip: The First Item you select in the Multi select steps will be the new Origin of the final object.

edited December 1969

Thank you that works but the problem now is that the Helicopter is all one object and now I can not animate it anymore.