How to export categories

Moon-CrewMoon-Crew Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've organized all my items into individual categories.
I did it by right clicking every item and choosing "Categorize...".

Now I've installed DAZ on another computer and I'd like to have the same categories there.
But I really don't wanna do all the work again.

Is there any chance to export my categories/structure to the other computer?
I couldn't find any command...

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I think you will need to wait for Adamr001 to see your post, I think he is the only one that can answer it for you.

I know that there is a folder called Content Management Service in the Program Files\DAZ 3D folder, which you should probably backup anyway, but whether it can be transferred to another computer without any extra work, I just don't know.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Adam's tutorial is here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179107
    To see the images you need to add "forumarchive.daz3d.com/" in front of the "postimages" text.

• Moon-CrewMoon-Crew Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks for the reply!
    But I still can't solve my problem.
    Recording to the tutorial, I have to find a folder called "Content Management Service".
    Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere...
    You should know that I'm using Mac OSX (10.7). Does this make a difference?

To see the images you need to add "forumarchive.daz3d.com/" in front of the "postimages" text.

Why don't you change/correct the links as an admin? ;)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

Because someone forgot to issue the Mods with the right Magic wand ?

Adam is actually working on replacing his tutorials, but do give him some time, it is not an easy task, and like all of us on the team he is a volunteer, and does have a RL job as well, a very stressful and demanding one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited August 2012

Re:Migrating Categories tutorials... If you're using DS4.x then the pictures in the migration tutorial weren't really necessary anyway. If you're using 3.x, I wasn't intending on redoing those tutorials as DS3 is more than a year out of date now.

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

Eh, give me a bit, I'll redo it :)

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Re:Migrating Categories tutorials...
    Are you refering to where you talk about "fix the categories"?
    The problem is there are no big yellow exclamation points!
    I made a regular install of DAZ. Then I've installed every single Item with the related installer (also added all the meta data).

So the migration I'm looking for is not such large as in you tutorial.
    Everything already works. All the content is available.
    I just want to copy the structure of my categories to the other computer so that i doesn't have to categorize everything again.
    That isn't such simple as I thought, is it?
    (I hoped that I just have to copy some file(s) where the structure is saved)

adamr001 said:
    If you're using DS4.x then the pictures in the migration tutorial weren't really necessary anyway. If you're using 3.x, I wasn't intending on redoing those tutorials as DS3 is more than a year out of date now.

I'm using DS 4 64bit on Mac OSX.

Eh, give me a bit, I'll redo it :)

What do you mean? What will you redo?

edited December 1969

That is covered by my tutorial. You have to copy the database from the old computer to the new just as if you were doing a complete migration. The yellow exclamation points only appear if the location of the content has changed. If you copied things over to an identical path, then you won't have to do that part of the tutorial.

Here's the redone tutorial:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/

edited August 2012

adamr001 said:
    That is covered by my tutorial. You have to copy the database from the old computer to the new just as if you were doing a complete migration.
    the problem is I can't find these files.
    in your tutorials you're talking about this
    * Path for Content Management Service
    * * E:\DAZ\Content Management Service
    * Path for CMS Databases
    * * E:\DAZ\Content Management Service\databases

But when I go into my Programs-Folder I can't find these folders... :(

Post edited by Moon-Crew on
    edited December 1969

The default location for the installation of the CMS database on OSX is: /Users/[YourUsername]/Documents/DAZ 3D/CMS/databases

As shown here: http://daz.tall-tales-racing.com/resources/tut/basics/B2B_OSX_DS4_install_files/image020.jpg

edited August 2012

is it possible to run daz without the CMS?
    I'm asking this because I can't find this folder:

unfortunately the installation has been a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't choose a custom path during the installation.
    even the mac search programm can't find a folder called 'CMS'

Do you have any idea of what to do?

*edit*

ok, I've found it :)
    it's 'Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/databases/' (excluded from the search?)

now I'll try copy the content of this folder to the other computer and tell you if it works...

edited December 1969

bad news: it didn't work :(

i copied and replaced all database files.
    then I did the same with the mentioned folders of the tutorial (plugins, resources, scripts, service, shaders).
    But I still can't see my individual categories.

Any idea what's the problem?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are you seeing any categories? Did you make sure the CMS service was stopped on both machines when you moved the database files?

edited August 2012

yes, I tried again and checked whether the CMS is stopped on both machines.
    then I copied again all files from my 'database' folder.

But I still can't see my categories on the other computer... there's still only the category 'default' :(

edited December 1969

Then either the database you copied isn't the right one or you're copying it to the wrong location on the new computer.

The easiest way to figure this out is to "re-install" DAZ Studio on each machine. Make sure and do a "custom" installation and to "Customize the CMS install" as well. During this process, when it gets to the CMS install portion it will fill in the data that shows you where your databases are located.

Just to be certain, you're going from OSX to OSX and not something like going from Windows to OSX right?