Help: Bryce 7 Pro crashes on launch {Side by side error] Windows Error

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

Roygee said:
    *snipped*

A related question - there are three .exe files that came with the main .exe - do I need to run them as well, or did the installer do that automatically?

You should have 2 content files, the default content and the bonus content, which you should use plus a file for Bryce Lightning, which you only need if you are going to set up a render farm

BTW on installing the content files, check this PDF from Horo before you start. http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

Personally I would not let the DIM install bryce content, but run it to a temp folder and then check this PDF.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited October 2013

I see why you recommended Horo's write-up :) Pretty complex stuff, but thanks to him, its all under control.

Couple more questions, if I may - I see in my downloads I have some Bryce 5 content packs - are they worth getting? Secondly, why do you recommend not using DIM to install - is it all too complex for DIM to handle?

I'm guessing the Bryce 5 content files will be .exe's, so no way I would know what is in them before installing. So, if I don't use DIM, I 'm assuming I'll have to execute to a temp file, see what's there and then copy into the correct folders?

EDIT: By the way, I did respond and thank you, but see that post has vanished - so, thank you :)

Post edited by Roygee on
    edited October 2013

I say do it manually as the Bryce content set up can be complex, and I personally trust my brain more than I trust DIM to get it right, but I have to admit that is just me.

If you never had Bryce 5 then the content packs are worth getting, particularly at the price. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Aaah, OK - I just can't help experimenting, so will let DIM do it, then open in a temp folder and check to see whether DIM got it right.:)

I'm fortunate in that I'm doing a completely new install of everything on a brand new machine, so easy to see whether there are any mess-ups.

Cheers:)

edited December 1969

Ah right. I did that just about a year ago.

edited December 1969

Just to let you know that DIM installed everything where it should be - guess it's improved over the last year

Thanks for the help:)

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This problem is still alive and well in May 2014. I am getting the same 'side by side' error as OP. Read the thread. Downloaded vcredist_x86.exe and could not install with the following message -

Please resolve the following:

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

I've also uninstalled the two 2005 C++'s as recommended.

So I now have one 2008, 2 x 2010 and 2 x 2012 redistrubatables installed and apparently none of them have the required .dll.

Bryce has 'side by side' issues. Poor dear.

Why don't they include the damn thing in the Bryce installation package.

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ok, fixed it. As recommended by Analog-X64

There is more than one version of vcredist_x86.exe out there. The first one I got was 4,955KB and refused to install. The link from Analog produced a version half the size, identical name, 2,644KB and that indeed installed and Bryce started as if there had never been a problem in the first place.

• mylemonbluemylemonblue Posts: 4
    edited July 2014

Thank you chohole for sticking with this all this time.

Post edited by mylemonblue on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited September 2014

Ok, fixed it. As recommended by Analog-X64

There is more than one version of vcredist_x86.exe out there. The first one I got was 4,955KB and refused to install. The link from Analog produced a version half the size, identical name, 2,644KB and that indeed installed and Bryce started as if there had never been a problem in the first place.

Thank ewangrant1 for your update. With this information I could finally run Bryce 7.1 on my new Computer.

BTW nice avatar

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • catgo_9dc0cba07dcatgo_9dc0cba07d Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I was going to order the newest Bryce ( I have 5.5) but there are way too many hoops to jump through to get it to work. I'm just not up to that. I guess I'll just keep playing with good old 5.5!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

catgo said:
    I was going to order the newest Bryce ( I have 5.5) but there are way too many hoops to jump through to get it to work. I'm just not up to that. I guess I'll just keep playing with good old 5.5!

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the issues are the same whether you use 5.5 or 7.

edited December 1969

catgo said:

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the issues are the same whether you use 5.5 or 7.

Yes they are. I had to install the file when I first got my 64bit PC, and Bryce 5 was the first version of Bryce I installed.

edited December 1969

That's interesting. I've been running 5.5 on my 64 bit machine for several years and have had no problems with it. I didn't download anything extra. I had a backup copy on CD and just loaded on my new computer a few years ago.

edited December 1969

Was that on Windows 7? Which is what this thread is about.

edited November 2014

Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium

Post edited by catgo_9dc0cba07d on
    edited December 1969

So what problems are you experiencing with Bryce 7 that you didn't have with Bryce 5?

edited December 1969

Hmmmm, I posted earlier and it isn't showing up. Anyway, I don't yet have Bryce 7, and was hesitant about getting it based on this thread. I am happy however, to know that if I do get it, and there are problems, that there are people here willing to help.

• martinflashmartinflash Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

I got brand new 64 bit computer with Win 7 64 bit. I got today Bryce 7 Pro. Before installed files vcredist_x64.EXE and vcredist_x86.EXE but install does not work. I do three install attempts on attached video, after 3rd install completes somehow but the Bryce never starts and is not present in start menu. No icon, only uninstaller is present.
    What to do? Help.

http://youtu.be/DKhQ1mEUCGY

edited November 2014

How did you install Bryce, and did you install all the files. there are 4 in total, but you don't need to install Lightning unless you want to set up a render farm.

The main program is Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe

These 2 are the content files.

BryceProContent_7.0.0.19_Win.exe
    BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe

Normally you would install Bryce 7 first, and then run the vcredist_x86.EXE if you get the side by side error.

Bryce_7-2.jpg
    694 x 368 - 94K
    bryce_7-1.jpg
    694 x 368 - 91K
    edited December 1969

I do something wrong, my files are only around 20 MB!

I have bought Bryce Pro 7. Do I have to instal Bryce 7 first, where is the download link ?
    I have only the links on attached photo.

bryce.jpg
    1048 x 704 - 344K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,025
    edited December 1969

Those are the Addon content for Bryce. You need to download and install the program files as shown in chohole's first image.

edited December 1969

Check my screen shots You want the one Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe which is shown in the first screen shot

edited November 2014

OK. I found the problem. I had to install from the PRODUCT LIBRARY Bryce 7 first and the Pro after. I can not believe I was so blocked. Sometimes it happens. Thanks for Help.

Post edited by martinflash on
  • TemairTemair Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

I had to reformat my computer and have never had a problem installing Bryce before but had to do the fix in the first post of this thread but at least it is working and thank you

• renecyberdocrenecyberdoc Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

this hint worked for me perfectly thank you very much!!!!!

Leave Bryce alone.

Uninstall all versions of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" ALL of them. Leave the 2008 and 2010 alone.

Only uninstall the 2005 versions.

You dont have to reboot at this point.

Download and install this version from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=26347

and the side by side error should be gone.

• Thanx,

for this quick & easy fix

smiley

• Vydayot pri konvertirovanii ob'yektov

Chto delat'?
  • BurrManBurrMan Posts: 20

Uninstall all versions of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" ALL of them. Leave the 2008 and 2010 alone.

Only uninstall the 2005 versions.

Download and install this version from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=26347

I dont think you want to "uninstall all 2005 redistributables".... Various programs install their own, and you may be breaking something else. I have 5 (x86 versions on my system. You just want to install the mfc update version. Then windows update will keep it patched. Here's mine which was last patched in June of 2016.

2005 mfc updates.jpg
    1025 x 360 - 82K
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

THANKS Cholhe

This is probably this first time in about 12 years that I Ioaded Bryce onto my computer.

The file you suggested worked and I got to play around a bit.