How to find all surfaces with same group ID?

Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello everyone! Is there a way (rather then going through all the surfaces one by one), to find all the surfaces that share the same group ID? A filter maybe?

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2014

There is a way. Right click the model> select surfaces with value > (choose) groupID

This is btw using the surface selection tool. Funny Ive seen it by accident, and only when you asked prompted me to try it lol I'm gonna use this allot now I think :cheese:

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    There is a way. Right click the model> select surfaces with value > (choose) groupID

This is btw using the surface selection tool. Funny Ive seen it by accident, and only when you asked prompted me to try it lol I'm gonna use this allot now I think :cheese:

Wow! Amazing how simple things can be! Thank you so much! :-)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

No probs, and yeah so simple I'm shocked I overlooked it for so long :lol:

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:
    No probs, and yeah so simple I'm shocked I overlooked it for so long :lol:

Very very useful once I have to Change the shading rate for SSS. :-)

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

so.......many......hours of my life.

I did not know this :shut:

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

SpyroRue said:

Well at least you know what a groupID is. I'm kinda lost here- when you right click the model, are the values given, then you select them and group them- aka the GroupID?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

The groupID is used to say "these surfaces are part of a single object", so that the SSS effect behaves correctly. If two surfaces belong to items that aren't connected then they should have different GroupID values so that the SSS algorithm doesn't try to scatter light through them as a unit.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard (and Spyro) So what Spyro is saying is the Group ID's are already in place and we just select all the ones which are the same. Got it. :)

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Ohhhhhh! fantastic!
    Does it mean that I can create a shader with a numeric ID and then use it for select surface with the same ID, or this is only a beauty thing reserved for SSS?

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Ohhhhhh! fantastic!
    Does it mean that I can create a shader with a numeric ID and then use it for select surface with the same ID, or this is only a beauty thing reserved for SSS?

It works! works! works! works!