V4 Characters to Genesis?

JQPJQP Posts: 510
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I think I started a thread about this before but the search here and I don't get along (in fact, everything about the new forum software and I don't get along, but I digress), so I can't find it.

I want to move from Gen4 to Genesis but one of the biggest things holding me back is not being able to use my Gen4 Character presets on Genesis. What's the easiest way to get them working on Genesis, or converting them to Genesis?

I know I can probably use GenX to turn a saved figure into a morph for Genesis but I'd almost rather enter the morphs by hand. I say almost, because from what I can tell DS makes stuff like this as painful as possible, since there's no way to copy morph settings and past them into a text file like I can in Poser. Though now that I think of it, I guess I could do it with poser. But I'd have to save out my Char presets as CR2s first, and I have like a zillion of them.

Isn't there some way to at least get these DSBs into a text editor in a readable format? That would at least let me set up a text editor next to DS and allow me to just load up Genesis and dial the characters in by hand instead of going back and forth between a loaded Gen4 and Genesis figures for each and every morph (Yeaaarrrrgh!).

A tool to convert DSBs from Gen4 to Genesis would be ideal but then so would world peace.

Comments

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

So you load your dialled character, save it as a CR2, load the CR2 into GenX, save it, it's into Genesis in a handful of clicks and your formerly dialled character is now available under a single dial.

I'm really not seeing why you say that's more work than physically editting a CR2.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    edited December 1969

It's awesome how this became the slowest forum on the web, plus it's the only one that doesn't do automatic login with cookies. Retro.

Thanks Silver, I'll check it out.

I’m really not seeing why you say that’s more work than physically editting a CR2.

Well, when you put it that way, :P. It would be nice to have them all as separate dials though, or at least, have the option.

• SafetymanSafetyman Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

There's another thread here somewhere that breaks down how to do it "the hard way", but it's really not that difficult. I don't know where the other thread is, so I'll paraphrase here. To the original thread poster -- I'd give you all the credit, but I can't find you!

1) Clear the scene, then load V4
    2) Inject desired character face/body morph
    3) Export as OBJ
    4) Clear scene (File>New)
    5) Load V4
    6) Convert to TriAx Weight Map (under Scene tab > Edit > Rigging)
    7) Building|Scripting tab > Morphloader Pro (icon) > select OBJ (created in #3)
    8) Dial in Character morph(which was created in prev step)
    9) Load Genesis
    10) Dial in Genesis corresponding shape (i.e. A3/v3/v4/a4/etc., this is a purchased item)
    11) Run Figure Transfer Utility (Scene > Assets > Transfer Utility)
    - source= V4 (use default), target = Genesis (Clone->matching figure). Show options, under morph targets, check source morphs...then un-check fit to source figure (you can pretty much uncheck everything else as well)
    12) When complete, Dial In the new Imported morph in Genesis (Parameters Tab, Morphloader section)
    13) Dial in any other needed morphs to make the character look right
    14) File -> Save As -> Support Asset -> DSF Morph File; making sure to check only the new morph and any other required morphs done in #13
    15) Reload Genesis and the Morphs should be there. Note that this will give you one dial to make the morph.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

Safetyman said:
    There's another thread here somewhere that breaks down how to do it "the hard way", but it's really not that difficult. I don't know where the other thread is, so I'll paraphrase here. To the original thread poster -- I'd give you all the credit, but I can't find you!

1) Clear the scene, then load V4
    2) Inject desired character face/body morph
    3) Export as OBJ
    4) Clear scene (File>New)
    5) Load V4
    6) Convert to TriAx Weight Map (under Scene tab > Edit > Rigging)
    7) Building|Scripting tab > Morphloader Pro (icon) > select OBJ (created in #3)
    8) Dial in Character morph(which was created in prev step)
    9) Load Genesis
    10) Dial in Genesis corresponding shape (i.e. A3/v3/v4/a4/etc., this is a purchased item)
    11) Run Figure Transfer Utility (Scene > Assets > Transfer Utility)
    - source= V4 (use default), target = Genesis (Clone->matching figure)......

Just a question: I thought that the Clone shape was only to be used for transferring clothing items, that there was something not right about it for transferring morph shapes to figures. Is that not the case?

By the by, if you use GenX to transfer the Pose/morphs, you can select "Create single controller", which creates one and only one dial for the character you're trying to transfer.

edited August 2012

My head's starting to hurt wondering about how all this works. So I guess I should just ask. :)

Okay, so, let's pretend for a sec that I knew how to make morph INJ poses for Genesis. I don't, but let's pretend. And I inject a morph into Genesis. Can I save the figure with the morph without creating a whole new Genesis to inject it into before hand? With G4, I can load a figure, inject a morph, and save it (at about 10 or 15mb or so, rough estimate, can't remember the exact number but for me it usually doesn't go over 20mb unless I start going crazy with hair and clothes) without altering the original figure I loaded. But so far with Genesis, it seems like anything I inject goes right into the original figure once I save. Or is that only for DSF files? Genesis is too big to go "forking" it for every character I want to make.

Then there's the small matter of not knowing how to make the INJ poses for Genesis...(edit: NM I found a thread about it here)

I love Genesis and auto-fit but the learning curve on this one is definitely steeper than I can recall, since I first started with V3 anyway.

Post edited by JQP on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

JQP said:
    It's awesome how this became the slowest forum on the web, plus it's the only one that doesn't do automatic login with cookies. Retro.

Thanks Silver, I'll check it out.

I’m really not seeing why you say that’s more work than physically editting a CR2.

Well, when you put it that way, :P. It would be nice to have them all as separate dials though, or at least, have the option.You can set it up as separate dials as well. Just choose "Selected Morphs With Properties" instead of "Create Single Morph".

edited December 1969

Okay, I think I figured out how to do what I want to do. As usual, Ralf was way ahead of me and I just had to catch up. I can select "Create Preset" from the drop-down and make a DSF instead of messing with the figure. I just tried it and the morphs are all wrong but hopefully I can figure out the right settings.

• SafetymanSafetyman Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

Just a question: I thought that the Clone shape was only to be used for transferring clothing items, that there was something not right about it for transferring morph shapes to figures. Is that not the case?

It's worked fine for me. Haven't had any problems with the morphs, other than I much prefer Genesis shapes to V4-based morphs.