Who is

RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
edited June 2012 in The Commons

I know there's still a lot of things to fit up around the main site and all, but I have to ask, is anyone else coming on to this site to find themselves already logged into accounts that's not theirs? For instance, every single time I come on here my page shows the name "xxx". I have no idea who this person is or why I'm automatically in this account when I visit the site. But can someone please enlighten me as to what the meaning of this is?

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited June 2012

Sadly a known bug. If you try and access "My Account" it will identify you properly. You won't be able to get to any of xxx's information.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited December 1969

So we cannot sign him up for the PC club and force him to get the super suit suite? I know he wants that but just has not gotten around to it yet.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

If every user did that, Miss Bad Wolf, then poor xxx would be broke within a New York minute, with enough stuff to download that would require him to spend the next six months just downloading!! :lol:

I don't think xxx would like that. And now he's become a sort of celebrity in this thread. Maybe he'll pop into the forums sometime...

edited June 2012

If every user did that, Miss Bad Wolf, then poor xxx would be broke within a New York minute, with enough stuff to download that would require him to spend the next six months just downloading!! :lol:

I don't think Jay would like that. And now he's become a sort of celebrity in this thread. Maybe he'll pop into the forums sometime...

But at least he will be a pc member until next century.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited May 2012

Okay, with all of this now I REALLY have to know who this guy is. Is he like one of the site managers or something?

Yeah, I know, as long as I've been around here I STILL don't know all the people that I probably should. :lol:

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

he is just some poor customer who does not read the forum, if I browse the shop unsigned in I get a different name everytime, some are pc members, some not.
    have not bothered noting them all but no names I know so far as usernames are different, you would only guess my own from Wendy and possibly my Surname's vague initial simillarity to my YouTube channel name.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited June 2012

lol! while you cannot share personal info on people under the TOS he has a public profile

if it IS the one and the same user!
    since you said you needed to know, otherwise start stalking the countless others by that name via Google and scaring the crap out of them
    meanwhile this guy might get some Google links for his work thx to this forum!!

edited May 2012

he is just some poor customer who does not read the forum, if I browse the shop unsigned in I get a different name everytime, some are pc members, some not.
    have not bothered noting them all but no names I know so far as usernames are different, you would only guess my own from Wendy and possibly my Surname's vague initial simillarity to my YouTube channel name.

Now that concerns me even more. I know that trying to conduct account action instantly logs you out of that person's account, but still, just knowing that at any given moment someone could randomly find themselves in my account is just SLIGHTLY concerning...

What if this occurred had the site been bugged more than it is now? What if the auto-log in assumed that you were actually me and let YOU go on about MY business? Also, from what I've been reading in the Itemized Order History, DAZ has resurfaced all of our past and current credit payment methods unto our imported accounts. So if someone were to begin accidentally stumbling upon stuff like that, it would definitely be well beyond alarming.

I know I'm overreacting a bit here, but this is something I've really learned to be actively concerned about since I was a victim of the great Playstation Network Hacking. Someone actually bought my information and made a purchase of over $300 on my card and it was a very strenuous process just to get compensated for it from my bank...

edited May 2022

Redacted

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

I have the same problem, its always the same persons name when I come to the site, but disappears once I relog in.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,992
    edited June 2012

"Who is xxx”?
    Well, my dear RCDeschene, He is me... he is you, he is my friend, he is my friend's sister, he is her hamster and my neighbor's son and his grandmother and that little yappy dog that won't stop barking every time time he sees a squirrel, he is the mailman and your doctor... he is the homeless guy who lives behind the bus station, he is the hero cop who never thinks of himself and he is that fat crazy lady who does not know when to stop tanning... he is a priest and a thief and probably even the guy who wrote V for Vendetta from whom I am loosely basing this long rambling answer...
    My friend RCDeschene, xxx is each and every one of us that has been lied to and cheated, who has longed for a day when they could know freedom and walk naked in the sunshine without getting chased by stray dogs... he is the little man with big dreams, who knows one day his moment will come... and in that moment he will stand up and say I am real and am me and will be counted... for no longer will I be lied to and told wear silly hats with fruit on them.
    xxx... is real.
    If you listen to your heart you can hear him...
    xxx will save us all.

Or he is one of the guys who set up the website for DAZ, in which case he should be hunted down and pummeled with Mackerel till he cries like 4 year old who just lost their puppy.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited June 2012

Oh hell this made me laugh so loud my son woke up, the last bit really finished me off.

edited June 2012

I hope you read that with a proper theatrical british accent... the first part as Hugo Weaving and the last as John Cleese... remember to stress "Mackerel" if using it in a play or eulogy.

Oh, and sorry about waking the offspring... just let him know somewhere out there in the dark of night xxx watches over us all... or is lying unconscious in the gutter smelling of mackerel.

edited June 2012

:lol:

That made me laugh! Imagine xxx seeing the title of this thread and goes, "Hmmm...." And when he clicks open and starts reading... :bug:

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited June 2012

Okay, you are instantly now on my list of favorite people in the DAZ community!
  • Spinach ChinSpinach Chin Posts: 89
    edited June 2012

I was logged into the DAZ site and at top it asked if I was xx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not xxx... Nor do I want some random person getting access to my info.

I will never buy anything from this site again if this is NOT corrected. My info BETTER NOT Be in someone ELSE's login.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am merging your post with another thread about this issue.

THere is no security risk, as has been said several times already, as soon as yyou try to do anything you will be promted to login with your own details.

• Spinach ChinSpinach Chin Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am merging your post with another thread about this issue.

THere is no security risk, as has been said several times already, as soon as yyou try to do anything you will be promted to login with your own details.

Still NOT very encouraging to login and see someone else listed..

First of all I will NEVER buy from this site until this issue is fixed. I was going to use my monthly voucher and this occurred.

It is BAD practice to use a site that CAN'T even properly log into the correct users account. I DON'T care how many times you reassure me as you did above. What else is happening behind the scenes? Can I even TRUST this site again?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2012

You are not , I repeat not logging in to anyone elses account, It is because you are not logged in that this happens. As soon as you try to do anything except possibly browse the forums you will find that you need to log in.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I thought you'd get a default guest-account when you're not logged in.

edited May 2012

Basically what Spinach Chin is expressing is what the main point of my concern is. As minor as the error may be, it's still an error that is quite alarming for some to see. It's a move that is highly unprofessional on DAZ's part, especially where they assured us that they've thoroughly tested all of this out before back when this site was still in development.

Despite all of my exaggeration in this discussion, I am not as personally upset by this as others clearly are like Spinach Chin here. He is absolutely correct that mistakes and flukes like this can be very disruptive of one's trust in the company's and businesses they invest in. The Playstation Network Hacking definitely scarred my opinion of Sony's online game marketing and it's just a shame to even envision such a similar situation with the producer/consumer relationship with DAZ.

edited May 2012

Plumber Bill, a private contractor has just repaired the lawn sprinkler system at the local Air Force base and is running a test via a low priority maintenance operations computer...

Bill (typing): Run week day watering schedule.

Computer: Launch sequence access granted.

Bill (nervous): A little help here..... please!

Airman Davis (getting up from desk): What's wrong?

Bill: Look!

Airman Davis (looking at screen): Oh... yeah, thats nothing... just leave an extra space between Run. (walks away)

Bill (unsure): Um... okay... thanks...

Davis (sitting back down at desk): Thats what I'm here for.

Bill (typing): Run weekday watering schedule.

Computer: Launch sequence entered. ICBM Target destination Serveromorsk Submarine base; Northern fleet- Russia.

Bill (not typing): AAAAAACK!

Davis (casually): Problem?

Bill (Shaking and bug eyed): I think I just launched a missile !!!

Davis( comes over and looks at screen again): No.... no there was no launch yet...

Bill: YET?!??

Davis: I mean "there was no launch"... just leave three spaces after Run... thats probably it...

Bill: YOU DO IT!!

(phone rings)

Davis: Don't worry, you do it- I have to take this....

Bill (Shaking and with deep bowel distress begins typing): Run week day watering schedule.

Computer: Missile bay Y137 Active- All systems GO- AMAC-TANGO-100101010001> Launch initiated... would you like to choose additional targets?
    Based on your previous choice LaunchNet would like to suggest Mogilev Oblast EWH- Belorussia SSR or Lakhta Air Base- Russia.
    Click yes to see more exciting choices.

Bill(Very loudly) AAAAAAAH!

Davis (slightly annoyed and on phone): Ahgh...Click NO!

Bill (possibly peeing in pants): THERE IS NO- NO!

Davis (covering phone): NO! Just No!

Bill (tears in eyes, pee in shoes): THERE IS ONLY YES!

Davis (covering phone): No- no?

Bill: YES!!

Davis (very annoyed and still holding phone): Yes or NO?

Bill (Pee soaked and frantic): YES! NO-NO!!

Davis: Did you type four spaces?

Bill:NO!!!!!!

Davis: (talking to person on phone) tell the guard Davis with a D... did you give soy sauce... Wait a moment... (holds phone again and says to Bill).... Then click Yes...

Bill (falling to floor) Thump-splish!

Davis: Damn... Gotta go (hangs up).... (Goes over to computer muttering to self... steps over damp Bill)... Oh, yeah... three spaces..... "Yes"...
    "Exit"... (Glances out window at sprinklers working diligently)... megh, what's the big deal... its just a stupid bug... they're gonna fix it soon...
    (pokes unresponsive Bill with toe)... is that PEE? (walks back to desk)... Man, I aint cleanin' that up... drama queen. (phone rings as Davis sits down at desk)... Maintenance,Davis speaki.... Oh, hey Mavis what's up? Did they give soy sauce?... Damn...

-camera pans around to left to a man standing by main door. He is wearing a simple black suit with a white shirt and black tie, he is standing holding a cigarette in his right hand-

Narrator: Submit for your approval Bill Watkins.... simple plumber and now pee soaked victim a of a fear so deep it could easily poke any one of us in the eyes at any time... a fear of the unknown... a fear that what they see before them on a simple computer screen, although just an ordinary bug might actually be real... yet to others this simple bug, this ethereal ghost in the machine is no more than a common annoyance that is to be expected as the cost of living in a fantastic future... a future only to be found in The Twilight Zone.

Key Spooky music and late 50s kids cigarette commercial.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Plumber Bill, a private contractor has just repaired the lawn sprinkler system at the local Air Force base and is running a test via a low priority maintenance operations computer...

That was pretty good, definitely got a good chuckle

edited December 1969

You know, I JUST envisioned that played out as a DAZ animation with a Michael character as Davis and Hiro as Bill. XD
    edited December 1969

Poor guy got his pants wet. That must be embarrassing.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited May 2012

I understand the issue, and that it is not a security issue as such but ... this is Commerical, Off The Shelf software, yes?

I have just logged in via the main page (I have learnt this the hard way). Why does it bother asking me if I am who I am if I am going to have to login any way, seems a trifle redundant. Anyway, I logged in, as me. Hover mouse over Store, then New Releases and right-click Open Link in New Tab (in Firefox). Shift mouse across and select Community> Forums.

I now have two tabs in Firefox open, both with me logged in. One showing the latest 15 new releases, the other the forum index page.

In the past I noticed that the latest new releases were not showing up (from reading newsletter and from forum posts waxing lyrical over a product). After a little head-scratching I found that if I 'forced' a reload of the page the new stuff would then show up (not even going to wonder why!). So, this time, as I often now do I opted to have 30 items per page shown. And lo, I now get asked if I am someone else. I have gone from being logged in to not. And I am still logged in enough to post, as me, in these forums - as witness this post? I thought the store and forums were linked?

And on checking it seems to act like a toggle, if I chnage back to 15 items per page (or to 60) I go back to really, really being me, and on next change I go back to being only maybe really me! ;)

Post edited by SimonJM on
    edited June 2012

SimonJM said:
    Why does it bother asking me if I am who I am if I am going to have to login any way?

It (or rather, DAZ) wants you to be sure you are yourself, or pehaps are you really "who you want to be"...
    From the moment we first start to develop our personalities at a very young age, we are constantly bombarded by the personalities and egos of other people, forcing upon us their own vision of what is right and wrong, what is fun and what is popular... we struggle through most of our lives trying to maintain a sense of self and individuality while still trying to fit into society as a whole.
    By asking "Not xxx?" you are forced to ask yourself "Am I who I really think I am?"...."who have I become?".. are you someone else? Are you happy with the person you have become? By allowing you to THEN log in as YOURSELF- DAZ has shown you there is still time to change the path you are on OR to except what and who you are...

The road to true enlightenment begins with this one simple question... "Not xxx?"

I love this thread... it is making this whole steaming cow patty of a site change... fun.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited June 2012

Was there not a film, "Being xxxovich"? ;)