Mixed up files

MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Still in the early learning stages so apologies in advance if this is hard to follow ! I've been on a bit of a buying spree recently which has been fun in itself, but I keep on running aground on the questions that ask which file or directory would you like to put them in when I haven't the faintest idea. Mainly because I still don't know where to start looking for help in FAQs and all the rest of the help topics as there are so many.

Is there a rule of thumb or something for this that I can stick to in the future as I'd like to sort all the ones I've bought into just one My Library and presumably just one Characters, but I'm sure this will be bound to cause problems when trying to apply them to in my case Victoria 4....

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,211
    edited December 1969

In general install everything to the My Library folder - most content comes as multiple files, and they need to be in the right relative location for DAZ Studio to find them. You can have multiple content directories if you like - say, My SF Content, My Historical Content or My Male Content My Female Content (nott hat they have to be variants on My Content at all - those were just examples) and install different types of content to different folders, as long as a) those folders aren't inside another content folder and b) you tell DAZ Studio wheer they are by opening the Content Library pane (Window>Panes(Tabs>Content Library), right clicking on Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats and from each menu picking the Add ... Directory option.

• MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help, unfortunately after I'd put everything into My Libraries as recommended something must have been wrong because everything froze. I've tried to delete it all several times so as to re-install a fresh programme before finally giving up as it kept on saying "Access denied". Naturally I can't get on with my new installation as it's obviously now saying the files I need are missing so is there any special removal tool that might get rid of the old corrupted one completely so as to start start again from the beginning ?

edited December 1969

Access denied can happens if Windows doesn't notice it's already moved a file. You may also see it if your files were in a protected location (such as Program Files) although then you should generally be asked for administrator approval. Where is the content that you are having trouble moving, and is it part of the base content or is it add-on content?

edited December 1969

Thanks, not sure of the latter so screen copy below also no admin involved just myself....

Old_Daz_3D_file.JPG
    909 x 428 - 49K
    edited December 1969

I also find linking the files/ my purchases on one's hard drive into the system below very hard to follow too as it can go off into so many different drections. For example why is it necessary to have both a Poser chain and a Daz one ? I would have thought something on the lines of an ordinary cross referencing flow chart system much easier, the ones that are found at the bottom of Word....

Or is it just me being the atypical non techie lol ? :-) :red:

Hard_system_to_follow.JPG
    843 x 528 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Mixing Poser and DS content can be done by using categories or Smart Content, or you can place DS content in with Poser content using my PrepDS files. But the Poser structure was very rigid, so it did make sense not to mimic it too closely.

I can't see where your content folders are - though it looks as if they are in your profile folder, which should be safe. If the databases folder holds the data for the CMS I suspect that's what's blocking access, as that is always on (unless you close it down). However, you do seem to have some non-content folders in there - are you sure you want to delete the whole thing anyway?

edited December 1969

I did see a mention somewhere of a tree structure which would be preferable to the parallel one if you could show me where thanks. In fact I've just managed to open a fresh programme by-passing this old file so I'll download the same purchases again and forget about the crashed one till I next get it serviced.
    Thanks as always for your help, I'll do my best to keep problems to a minimum ! :-)

edited August 2012

Could anyone show me where the vertical tree system of filing is located in preference to the long horizontal orange/grey ones across the top in the picture third post up from this post ?

Thanks

Post edited by Marcuse on
    edited December 1969

Right click on the tab of the Content Library pane and select View as tree from the menu.

edited December 1969

Thanks finally starting to make some forward rather than omnidirectional progress at last ! :-P However I'm not clear on Poser's function or role as I'd like for simplicity's sake to load all files and new purchases into Daz Studio ? Will this cause problems later on ?

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean - if you are asking whether you will be able to use Poser format content in Poser, without reinstalling, then yes you can point Poser to the same folders as you point DS to and both applications will use the content.

edited December 1969

Yes that's fine. Up till now I've only bought Daz and Renderosity products not knowing that you can also buy from Poser. As I understand it I need only use the Daz file until I buy anything from Poser....

Thanks