Problem Installing Renderosity products

rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have avoided buying Renderosity products that are compatable with DAZ Studio because I can never figure where to unzip the files to. I have in the past, resorted to manually storing the files in the DAZ Studio file hierachy, but it has been a while since I have done this. I recently bought some Renderosity products and was not successful in installing them.

Does anyone have an tutorial they can recommend that shows how to install Renderosity product in DAZ Studio with some troubleshooting techniques? There are so many Renderosity products that are of interest to me that I am afraid to purchase because they do not install using the DAZ Install Manager and are zipped files instead of .exe files.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Thats a question best asked on Rendo. The easiest way is to unzip to a dummy folder and move the files yourself.

• rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310
    edited December 1969

I was afraid of that. On the other hand, I have done it before, successfully. That last time out, I was not successful. The DAZ Content Manager did not recognize it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Content Manager? It won't appear in Smart Content or in lists that are driven by the Content Management Service, unless you categorise it, but it should appear in the Content Library under Poser formats or DAZ Studio Formats, as appropriate>Folder you installed to. Remember that you don't want any Content or My Library folder that may be in the zip.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

Nowadays Windows Explorer treats a zip file like any other folder, so you shouldn't have to "unzip" it as such. Just select the zip and then drag-and-drop the folders onto their equivalents in your DAZ/Poser file hierarchy: Runtime onto Runtime, Data onto Data, Props onto Props etc.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

rnollman said:
    I have avoided buying Renderosity products that are compatable with DAZ Studio because I can never figure where to unzip the files to. I have in the past, resorted to manually storing the files in the DAZ Studio file hierachy, but it has been a while since I have done this. I recently bought some Renderosity products and was not successful in installing them.

Does anyone have an tutorial they can recommend that shows how to install Renderosity product in DAZ Studio with some troubleshooting techniques? There are so many Renderosity products that are of interest to me that I am afraid to purchase because they do not install using the DAZ Install Manager and are zipped files instead of .exe files.

Locate your DAZ Studio product library folders. In Windows 7 they get installed to Documents/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library if you installed to default location. Otherwise only you know where you told it to install things.

Within those you should see folders called data, People, Runtime, etc. If you don't, you are not in the right place. You can also misidentify this folder if you've accidentally installed something with a data folder to the wrong place before.

Now unzip your Renderosity files to another location. Ideally you should have a second folder separate from your DS Install Manager Downloads called Renderosity Downloads (or Hivewire Downloads, or whatever).

The Renderosity folders may start from My Library or Content, depending on their age, or may start straight from data, People, etc. If the product is Poser only, or Poser formats with DS mats, it will be in Runtime.

From the unzipped folders, go to the level of data, Runtime, etc., select all of those folders, and Cut or Copy.

Go inside your My DAZ3D Library or equivalent, so you are looking at that SAME folder level. Again, seeing the lowercase data and uppercase Runtime is a good guide.

Paste. Choose yes to merge.

Restart DS if it's open.

Now your content should work.

• rnollmanrnollman Posts: 310
    edited December 1969

Thanks to all for your help!

I will try that tonight and post my results.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

rnollman said:

You can always create a new runtimes just for Renderosity stuff. Just map it in Studio. Aside from shaders and duf files which should be in Daz folders. You can always keep your Renderosity purchases in a seperate runtime and you can further divide them by Daz compatible and Poser only; which I do. Most merchants at Renderosity let you know if their product is Daz compatible & if not don't buy. I just stay away from dynamic clothing and anything using poser shaders or materials to color products otherwise you can tweak them to work in studio.