Fur on a dog

verushkaverushka Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What to do to have a fur on my German shepherd to look like a fur? Can somebody tell me step by step how to do it in my DAZ 3?

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

You will probably not get good results until you upgrade to at least DS4
    AM has blog on his methods at http://look-at-my-hair.blogspot.it/

• verushkaverushka Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Medzin, thanks for reply. I do have DAZ4 and DAZ3. In DAZ4 they have some shaders named Furify but I dont know how to apply it. That plug-in LAHM

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Get carrara, it has dynamic hair ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I don't use the fur shaders that often, but if you already had the "Furify" set it is fairly straightforward.

Use surface selection tool to select area of fur and then drag one of the shaders onto it (just use any one that has look close to it)
    Then bring up the "Shader Mixer" tab and do "import from scene", go to the "Image" brick and substitute the texture you want to use for the one that is already there.

Save this shader under a new name and also press "Apply" so updates will happen.

Any tweaks you can do in shader mixer or to a limited extent in surfaces tab.

Keep in mind that effect does not show until rendered

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Just remember if you use furify in DS4 you won't be able to open the scene later due to that glitch around an unused node. If you are in DS3 then you are fine.

edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    I don't use the fur shaders that often, but if you already had the "Furify" set it is fairly straightforward.

Use surface selection tool to select area of fur and then drag one of the shaders onto it (just use any one that has look close to it)
    Then bring up the "Shader Mixer" tab and do "import from scene", go to the "Image" brick and substitute the texture you want to use for the one that is already there.

Save this shader under a new name and also press "Apply" so updates will happen.

Thanks. I opened my DS3, went to surfaces, selected the coat of my Millenium Dog and NOW - where I drag the shader - the replacement map or difuse color or what? And where I find the Shader Mixer tab to 'import from scene? You see, what I mean by step by step? I am just using DAZ for illustrations and don't know anything about the making of the models.

edited December 1969

Just remember if you use furify in DS4 you won't be able to open the scene later due to that glitch re ound an unused node. If you are in DS3 then you are fine.

Thanks for the tip. I am using DS3 anyway as i am getting lost in DS4, and all the files I made in it encountering ERROR when I try to reopen it.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,946
    edited December 1969

verushka said:
    Medzin said:

Thanks. I opened my DS3, went to surfaces, selected the coat of my Millenium Dog and NOW - where I drag the shader - the replacement map or difuse color or what? And where I find the Shader Mixer tab to 'import from scene? You see, what I mean by step by step? I am just using DAZ for illustrations and don't know anything about the making of the models.
    I find it easier to just click on the fur in Surface tab,then double click on the Furify shader you picked,sometimes the texture on the dog will just go plan white,but the shader effect will show when you render ,IF you want to keep the original texture,then after clicking the shader go back to Surface tab ,scroll down ,you will find the shader texture,take it out then go to the difused channel and put the original texture map back in.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Furify has its problems in DS3A I had problems with it crashing DS3 and I thought oh I will give them another try in DS 4.5 and after applying Daz Studio stops responding so I guess Ill give up on them.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I don't know how my millenium cat shader (which furify was based on) works in DS4.5 as I haven't tried it.

The easiest solution would be to create a displacement map for your dog (white is longer than grey areas)

Then import my cat shader into shader mixer, replace the image map for the diffuse with your dog texture(diffuse) and replace the displacement map image with the one for your dog.

After that play with the length(displacement) settings and the point settings until it looks how you want it.

Hope this is of use...

Pen