Are Signature Banners sort of back?... How do we do them now?

McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I see some folks have banner images again... they are not clickable, but there are links below or next to them.... how is this being done? If there is an info page I'd be grateful for a link...
Thanks in advance for any info or help!

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

just upload an image within the size limit and put a url below it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited August 2012

Hi! look at the upper right of any top post on a thread page in a Forum. See the "Your Control Panel"? Click it and all will be revealed.

It's called "Signature" but you probably knew that.

Post edited by TJohn on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Yes they're back, but this new forum software doesn't allow (or DAZ prefer it not to allow) for linking to off-site sigtags. That's why they have the "upload" option and not the off-site URL option the old forum had. I prefer the clickable sigtag too, but I tried, and it just comes out as text, so no-go.

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

The DAZ badges/banners aren't working either. Guessing even those html codes are blocked.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Test.

edited December 1969

The DAZ badges/banners aren't working either. Guessing even those html codes are blocked.

Oh right, I totally forgot about those. I know there are quite a few who used them in their signatures. Hmmmm, maybe DAZ'll change their minds about that, if it's even possible with this new forum software. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

Oh right, I totally forgot about those. I know there are quite a few who used them in their signatures. Hmmmm, maybe DAZ'll change their minds about that, if it's even possible with this new forum software. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Or maybe just post the badges as jpg's so we can upload them ourselves. :)

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Nice to see the forum is getting back to how it was! :)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I used to have a clickable banner, which I had learned how to make from a thread that was posted by Jamminwolf... Apparently once I did it, I deleted it from my memory... probably replaced that info with a Margarita mix recipe or something...

I hope clickable banners are possible... eventually with Magento, if not that would be a really crappy shortcoming for that software... it seems surprisingly limited/difficult in terms of forum features, given it is supposed to be so widely used and so many companies wish to have communities around their products...

One other question... How do I do a link like (for example) Miss B has... hers is a clickable link that says "Visit My Renderosity Gallery" (nice fractals by the way)...
    I'd like to have the link say "Visit McGyver's Freebie Gallery" and it link to my ShareCG gallery...

Yes... I'm that dumb, I still don't know how to do a link that is not an actual copy/paste address.

Anyway, thanks again in advance for any help on this subject.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

you need to have at the beginning putting the url in the space
    then type your text
    then
    at the end

SO then you get Type your text here

and if you click to quote that you will see exactly how I idd it

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

One of the things we are working on is the embedded images with links and embedded videos as well. We hope to have them working before too long.

edited August 2012

Thank you chohole!
    It works now! I'm bookmarking this so when I see something shiny and it distracts me, I'll be able to do this again without bothering people.

Good to know DAZ_bfurner ! Thanks!

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited December 1969

One other question... How do I do a link like (for example) Miss B has... hers is a clickable link that says "Visit My Renderosity Gallery" (nice fractals by the way)...
    I'd like to have the link say "Visit McGyver's Freebie Gallery" and it link to my ShareCG gallery...

I See Cho has given you directions on how to do a text link, and that you got it done successfully. ;-)

Oh, and glad you liked my fractals. Haven't done any recently, but when I get on a fractal binge, there's just no stopping me. :-)

edited December 1969

One of the things we are working on is the embedded images with links and embedded videos as well. We hope to have them working before too long.

Oh great! Thanks for the heads-up. :-)
    edited December 1969

looking forward to embeding videos as I do not do many still renders. The link thingy is cool Wendy appreciates it!
    (was wondering how I would use that unlisted upload test video with zero views ;-P

edited August 2012

I'm testing something...
    Hope it works...

It did.

SCG2012BannerImage-Rendo.jpg
    468 x 60 - 26K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Can't wait to have embedded vids again. Miss those allot!

edited August 2012

I'm testing something...
    Hope it works...

It did.

Great! Now test it in your signature and see if it works there too. ;-)

Hmmmm, I just clicked on the linked signature tag in the attached image of our post, and the only thing it did was popup a window with your signature tag in it. It didn't go to your ShareCG Gallery. I guess it's not really working as we'd like it to. :long:

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

it did for me on Android!
    might be browser dependent.

edited December 1969

always wanted to try a SPAM post, full of SPAM which is spiced ham. SPAM in a can, and spread my SPAM all over the plate with sauce and mustard.
    will I get reported for SPAMING?

edited December 1969

Actually, it is for my signature banner at Renderosity... now my banner there works again... before I was using an old (DAZ) gallery image link... when the site change occurred, I lost all my banners everywhere. I'm restoring them one at a time. Thanks to chohole's instructions I have a working signature link (no banner images there anymore) at SketchUcation, now.

edited December 1969

Oh, glad I did something useful.

edited December 1969

I stick my pictures on facebook now and embed them with a resize code I got somewhere (not here though yet as I cannot) because flickr capped me at 100 pics for free and photobucket stopped linking to full sized ones via the thumbs.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Oh, glad I did something useful.

I assume you are speaking to Lorvidcore and not the troll posting SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

It's really good to see the avatars and the banners coming back to the site! Thanks Daz! :-)

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Interesting thread, I'd like to try that - but what are the rules on Signature Banners? (or the links below them while banners that are links are not yet working?)

edited December 1969

What rules do you mean.

Banner image max size 480 x 80 kb size 80kb image type .gif .jpg or .png (same as forum images file types). This is shown on the "edit signature" screen in "your control panel" (top left of forum panel here)

Text and clickable URL links :- it also shows the total character allowed. I can't check how many that is as I have used some of mine up.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    What rules do you mean.

Banner image max size 480 x 80 kb size 80kb image type .gif .jpg or .png (same as forum images file types). This is shown on the "edit signature" screen in "your control panel" (top left of forum panel here)

Text and clickable URL links :- it also shows the total character allowed. I can't check how many that is as I have used some of mine up.

Right. That's all useful, thanks. I also wanted to know what can and can't be a link. Like I've seen people link to their freebies so:
    Can people link to their items for sale?
    To their own website?
    To a page on their website with a tutorial?
    To a page on their website with for sale items?
    To another forum?
    To another website's forum/s?
    To a gallery image here?
    To a gallery image elsewhere?

Stuff like that.

edited September 2013

Till someone of greater knowledge replies, my guess is based on what was allowed in the past... I've seen people with banner-links to their Zazzle catalog page (stuff is for sale there), personal galleries, personal websites (with stuff available for sale), other forums and websites and links to tutorials. I'd imagine it is still the same... I'd imagine only stuff that violates the TOS or is spam-like would be prohibited.
    PS if you are the same Franontheedge who made all those cool Bryce materials on ShareCG... Thanks!

SCG2012BannerImage-General.jpg
    467 x 60 - 25K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    What rules do you mean.

Right. That's all useful, thanks. I also wanted to know what can and can't be a link. Like I've seen people link to their freebies so:
    Can people link to their items for sale?
    To their own website?
    To a page on their website with a tutorial?
    To a page on their website with for sale items?
    To another forum?
    To another website's forum/s?
    To a gallery image here?
    To a gallery image elsewhere?

Stuff like that.

For obvious reasons Daz3d would rather that you didn't make links to other forums, or to other website's forums in your signature bar, as a permanent link, but have no objection to links like this within a post, as long as they are not to "Adult" sites. Links to a gallery image here won't work at the moment, but only because we don't have any working galleries at the moment. Links to a gallery image elsewhere are only allowed if that gallery has built in adult content filters which would prevent any under age forum members from being able to view undesirable images.