Request for DAZ to make the PW Shaders a $1.99 item

Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
edited July 2012 in Product Suggestions

I have and love PW and use them a lot. I do not see much support for the PW and think it might be because of their price.
I've never regretted the purchase, I just wish more people had them and created new presets for them.
I think lowering them to $1.99 might help a lot of people to get them and try them out.
You all do not know what you are missing.

Post edited by Type 0 Negative on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    edited December 1969

Nice render. Which PW product did you use? Do you have a link to the store item?

• deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hello Type 0 Negative,

this PW packages at the DAZ Store are setups for the built-in shader builder or presets for the shader mixer?
    Or is this an additional plug-in?

I read the texts and the additional information, but still I'm not sure about the how and even the what.
    Thanks in advance, I'm curious.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

PoseWorks shaders were a PA item created before the arrival of ShaderBuilder and ShaderMixer. It is my understanding that they were probably created via a script (I could be wrong...; ). )

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited December 1969

I would like the pwSketch product to work in Studio 4 or 4.5.

I was just about to buy it one day when I saw "This product does not work in DAZ Studio 4."

It looks as if It could do what I need, make a sketch of a 3D scene for a book illustration, but It doesn't work in 4.0.

edited December 1969

Haslor said:

I was just about to buy it one day when I saw "This product does not work in DAZ Studio 4."

It looks as if It could do what I need, make a sketch of a 3D scene for a book illustration, but It doesn't work in 4.0.

IIRC they released a version for DS4 but it may not work in 4.5...I haven't tried myself so I can't say.
  • Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited August 2012

barbult said:
    Nice render. Which PW product did you use? Do you have a link to the store item?

That is a preset that I made for PW, I've got a few others too that I'm proud of however packing them for sale or free is kind of pointless; because the PW shader are kind of old and forgotten. Presets that I or anyone else creates will not work unless you have the PW shaders purchased here from DAZ and installed on your computer.
    In short all they do is open up a bunch of new options in the surfaces tab; you apply PW, go to the surface tab and mess around.
    I'm just trying to encourage DAZ to revamp these old expensive forgotten underused underrated shaders.
    and deloquencia, Pendraia is correct, these are standalones that predate the ShaderBuilder and ShaderMixer.

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Haslor said:

IIRC they released a version for DS4 but it may not work in 4.5...I haven't tried myself so I can't say.

No, they never updated pwSketch for DS4......something about licensing issues getting in the way, which is unfortunate cause I'd REALLY like to see pwSketch updated....

edited December 1969

Another example render, PW applied to the woman's skin and hair textures, adding Subsurface Scatter on skin, and Rim Glow for the hair.
    I took a tiled image and used it to make the shader used for her clothes, named it, Dragon Leather.
    I scratch made shaders, Topaz Blue on the statue, Red Wax on the candles, Black Volcanic Glass on the statues bass, Marble on the candle stick.

PW_Surfaces.jpg
    1081 x 1313 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Personally, I never used PW sketch, I have it and can use it in DS3 but would rather use other methods for making things look like sketches. There are several 2D art programs with several different draw style filters ( I dont know them all, where to find them, or how to use them, there are just too many ) it could possibley be a good idea to open a thread in art studio and see if people can put their heads together and point them all out. I used Postworkshop for this image. I've got a good feeling there are less expensive programs that do this, Gimp might? I really do not know so another thread with the sketch look over a render might be useful for several of us. Sincerely I wish you the best of luck,

PW_Sketch.jpg
    1081 x 1313 - 450K
    edited December 1969

Cyonix said:
    Pendraia said:
    Haslor said:

No, they never updated pwSketch for DS4......something about licensing issues getting in the way, which is unfortunate cause I'd REALLY like to see pwSketch updated....I didn't buy pw sketch all of the sets I bought were updated...it's a shame they couldn't do that one as well.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

There's a new shader coming (see commercial section; manga shader thread), which apparently will include sketch-type shader.

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited August 2012

Decided to start a Starting Sketch Shader Thread, with this post because it is really off topic o this thread.

Post edited by Haslor on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

... packing them for sale or free is kind of pointless..

Packing them for free is never pointless because there are people who have pw shaders who would appreciate them. Packing them for sale might be since the amount of people who might buy them might not justify the effort if it was for the purposes of recouping costs of putting them together. If they were free I'd definitely pick them up, if sold it would depend on cost and I would have to play w pw more before buying myself (I got the shaders but got distracted by other things and haven't played with them yet.)

Either way, I appreciate seeing the results you've gotten from them. It has encouraged me to move experimenting with them up on my priority list :)

edited December 2012

EDIT
    I came back to apologize for derailing my own thread. I never should have posted thoughts about making a shader set in this thread. Originally, I only was trying to suggest a way to bring these shaders back to life, renew them get people interested in them and start using them again. Best of luck to you all, If anyone can suggest other ways of bringing them back to life or you would like to support the idea of lowering their price show your support by posting to this thread.
    I sincerely hope that I am not doing wrong by suggesting a price drop.
    Another possibility is for DAZ to sell the PW Surface base shader for 1.99 then sell the presets that come with it for the price it is currently listed at? Sorry I didn’t think of that before. At any rate, I will not post to this thread anymore fearing it might seem I am thread bumping and get it locked down.
    Best wishes to all,

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12984/
    above is the link for my project shader presets
    If I can ever manage to get them in a store, I will sell them for the lowest price allowed,
    I'm not sure but I think at Rendero lowest price allowed is $4.99 and at DAZ it is $1.99

edited November 2012

It all depends on the final result as far as sales, but it's a no loose situation on your part as doing a project like that will teach anyone a lot, so depending on your perspective it could definitely be worth the time :)

Edit: I just scrolled back up and looked at your shaders (again, since it'd been a while) and it doesn't appear like you would have any problems with quality, I would definitely buy them and I'm a roll your own kind of person unless they stand out ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

...There are several 2D art programs with several different draw style filters ( I dont know them all, where to find them, or how to use them, there are just too many ..Gimp might?

Gimp does some, Photoshop does more, many others like you mentioned.. but the gorilla on the block has to be Corel Painter (Painter being the key here as they were already the gorilla in this area before Corel bought them.)

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking about making and packing up and submitting to DAZ
    8 wax presets; blue, red, yellow, orange, green, purple, black, white
    8 special stone presets; blue, red, yellow, orange, green, purple, black, white
    2 skin presets; default V4, default M4
    5 hair presets; yellow, brown, red, black, white
    asking price undecided but thinking something like?? Platinum Club $1.99 -and- Regular price $7.99
    This seem fair? Do you all think it is worth my time?

Always being crunched by deadlines, I use shaders a lot. I simply don't have time to learn how to create them myself. I have spent a lot of money on them and use several free shaders, too. I can see me buying these if they are usable in DS3 as well as the newer versions.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

Always being crunched by deadlines, I use shaders a lot. I simply don't have time to learn how to create them myself. I have spent a lot of money on them and use several free shaders, too. I can see me buying these if they are usable in DS3 as well as the newer versions.

If the presets are made in DS3, then they will be compatible with DS3 and forwards but NOT DS2. My presets that I have for free were made in DS2 and thus are compatible for all versiosns of DS2, DS3 and DS4.