matAnim - animate material UVs, Colors, Strengths, Displacements, Bumps

mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
edited April 2013 in Freebies

---------; download & manual ------ https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/matanim

an old script which worked well as long as you dealt with single-material objects

but yesterday i was trying to animate what you see below, and i realized there was a bug in matAnim

other things you can do with it are shown on the script's web page

Post edited by mCasual on

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,874
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    ---------; download & manual ------ https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/matanim

an old script which worked well as long as you dealt with single-material objects

but yesterday i was trying to animate what you see below, and i realized there was a bug in matAnim

other things you can do with it are shown on the script's web page

Sorry about digging up this old post, but I wanted to ask you something about the script.
    There are a way to make it "permanent"?
    I mean, everytime I need to animate a material I load the script, adjust the options and everything goes good.
    But I need to do it everytime I open the scene!
    I work on animations and often I use the same "stage" to save up some time... If the mat's animations is saved along the others it will be very good!

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited September 2014

was a duplicate post

bustin.gif
    240 x 153 - 189K
    edited September 2014

Sorry about digging up this old post, but I wanted to ask you something about the script.
    There are a way to make it "permanent"?
    I mean, everytime I need to animate a material I load the script, adjust the options and everything goes good.
    But I need to do it everytime I open the scene!
    I work on animations and often I use the same "stage" to save up some time... If the mat's animations is saved along the others it will be very good!

oh i didn’t know about that one

i’ll test it right now, in DS 4.6

yesterday/today i posted an update for mcjJet it also uses material animation

if you didn’t see it,——> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21263/P45/#673336

since i needed to give a friend a particle effect built with mcjJet

i wrote but did not publish a tool to save animated materials as a daz script

so, very soon ( like today ) i may post that tool in this forum

maybe i’ll make a separate version for matAnim’s animations

-------

fig 1 - animating the texture tiling vertical offset between 0 and 1 over 12 frames, linear interpolation -- the vertical texture tiling size is 1/12 or 0.86666667

fig 2 - the film strip built using virtualDub and imageMagic

virtualdub to extract the 12 images in the original nyan cat gif

and this batch file to assemble a film strip

c:\imagemagick\montage Nyan*.jpg -geometry 200x200+0+0  -tile 1x12 nyanstrip.jpg

----

oh, indeed the animation is lost on exit !

i'm almost certain this didn't happen for Daz Studio 1, 2, 3

thinking ....

nyandemo2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 179K
    nyanstrip12k.jpg
    100 x 1200 - 52K
    nyandemo.gif
    400 x 400 - 700K
    edited December 1969

..... mat's animations is saved along the others it will be very good!

when its ready i will post the script here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46023/

a script to save the MatAnim and mcjJet material animations as Daz Scripts ( similar to pose presets )

edited December 1969

Oh, thanks very much! :cheese:
    McjJet is't a life-saver too! The new options seem to be exactly what I need!

edited December 1969

hope it works well :)

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts4/mcjanimatsave

lets say it's vaguely in Beta testing

edited December 1969

Casual said:

hope it works well :)

lets say it's vaguely in Beta testing

It works way better than I expected! Thank very much!
    Great work as always! ;-)

• peter.eisenmannpeter.eisenmann Posts: 5
    edited February 2015

- i decided to send Casual a private message instead of posting here. Sorry for the inconvencience.

Post edited by peter.eisenmann on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606

It works!!! Yayyy!!!

I didn't know this script exists so after making some MatAnim anims I spent hours/days trying to save a material animation preset to no avail.
    Just to find the solution existed all along! Hahahahahahah 

laugh

Thanks sososososo muchhhh mCasual!

edited July 2016

someday maybe i'll make a script that adds properties ( ex: diffuse color )  to the node ... not the material ... but link it to the material's diffuse color property

if i'm lucky, the animated node property will be saved along with the scene, the link to the diffuse color property of the material as well

the idea of using matAnim to do animated spirals came after seeing the spirals by http://konczakowski.tumblr.com/

Mythmaker said:

It works!!! Yayyy!!!

I didn't know this script exists so after making some MatAnim anims I spent hours/days trying to save a material animation preset to no avail.

laugh

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    mCasual said:

someday maybe i'll make a script that adds properties ( ex: diffuse color )  to the node ... not the material ... but link it to the material's diffuse color property

if i'm lucky, the animated node property will be saved along with the scene, the link to the diffuse color property of the material as well

the idea of using matAnim to do animated spirals came after seeing the spirals by http://konczakowski.tumblr.com/

Mythmaker said:

It works!!! Yayyy!!!

laugh

Made me think of the 60's TV show Time Tunnel!   laugh

Dana

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited July 2016
    mCasual said:

I almost got hypnotized by this spiral twirling and then almost forgotten what I came here to say!! cool

After your scripts showing the potentials of mat anim, and the concepts and exciting possibilities beginning to sink in...

Like, it would be awesome ...if we could use Puppeteer to control material animation! Like, put a dot to pose a few things, say emissive + color + whatnot then make them "blink" or "jolt like stupid" with organic mouse movement, could be fun?

laugh

It's also frustrating to not see matanim's material keys sync-manifest on the Timeline. I just got more indepth with Keymate, so am fantasizing if possible to jack a MatAnim track into the "V" for Values of its TRSV mode. Better still Graphmate so we can play with the curve and dynamic interpolations. Technically is it even possible? IF so I go put in a ticket...

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • Hi friends. Isn't it possible to animate the base color? I have installed the script and it works as exspected. However I don't see the option to animate the base color.

Actually I don't see glossy color, emission color. I don't see any color value.

What's also strange is, that the script says " MatAnim for DS3" Have I maybe installed an older version? -> I have downloaded the  V7, 04_20130 script from the official website: https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/matanim

i will look into this

i'm almost sure that if you apply a DzDefault shader, this will work

i think the issue with Uber iRay and the new default shader tof 4.1x  use "Float colors" ... so i will have to modify my script to handle those

but the DzDefault shader is an old-school shader that should still work with my script

mine is in  Library\Shader Presets\DSDefault but maybe i inherited those from DS4.0

• Learning3DLearning3D Posts: 90
    edited March 2020
    mCasual said:

i will look into this

i think the issue with Uber iRay and the new default shader tof 4.1x  use "Float colors" ... so i will have to modify my script to handle those

but the DzDefault shader is an old-school shader that should still work with my script

mine is in  Library\Shader Presets\DSDefault but maybe i inherited those from DS4.0

Big thanks for the fast answer. Just send you a little something via PayPal for your effort. Your work is massively appreciated!

When I open the matanim script in an text editor the first lines say

"// DAZ Studio version 3.0  filetype DAZ Script //By mCasual/Jacques 7 octobre 2009"

But your website says "Apr 5, 2013, 4:54 PM"

Maybe there is an older file uploaded? Just trying to make this work somehow :))

EDIT:

Btw I was testing your script on a standard primitive cube, which has by default the "Iray Uber" shader applied.

Post edited by Learning3D on

the 2013 is indeed the last version and the one i have on my PC

the DS3/2009 title is just something i forgot to update in the code

if you dont have a DsDefault shader preset

if you have old Poser Props or old Daz Studio 3 props or figures, you could load it, then select one of the daz default surfaces, then do a File/Save/Shader Preset

so you'd have a shader preset you could apply to your cube 

-----

a moment ago i figured how to make the Uber base Color ( Diffuse Color ) channels appear in matAnim

but for now it was not enough to make them animatable

i should be able to post a new version this afternoon

note that i made a script not too long ago to save material animations since DS 4.1x stopped saving them with the scenes

mCasual said:

i will look into this

Big thanks for the fast answer. Just send you a little something via PayPal for your effort. Your work is massively appreciated!

"// DAZ Studio version 3.0  filetype DAZ Script //By mCasual/Jacques 7 octobre 2009"

Maybe there is an older file uploaded? Just trying to make this work somehow :))

EDIT:

Btw I was testing your script on a standard primitive cube, which has by default the "Iray Uber" shader applied.

mCasual said:

i will look into this

EDIT:

• Learning3DLearning3D Posts: 90
    edited March 2020

Awesome! Really great news to read that you are working on this. :))

Of course, money should and is not the primary motivation behind your work, since you are doing this for many years for yourself/ the community. I just wanted to say that if you manage to make this work in the current version of Daz. I'll love to donate a little bit more. Because your script will be a major help in my workflow :))

I hope it will be possible to animate the color without changing the shader or anything like that (I am using the standard Iray Uber shader that comes with basically everything? Daz related nowadays) because I am 2000 frames deep in animation and cannot change the shader of my subject now anymore. Take your time. I will progress my animation in the scenes where no color change is needed and come back to the color change scenes when you have the script updates.

THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS SO, SO much. There are many people here in the community who want the surface settings to be animatable. Sure many people will be very happy about this. Good luck Jacques!

EDIT: 

Also big thanks for the McJAniMatSave plugin. This will be the perfect companion for MatAnim :)

Post edited by Learning3D on
    edited March 2020

Good news, actually the change i made to matAnim did work, the only drawback is that the surfaces Tab displayed color works bizzarely

i mean,

1 - i made the Base Color ( the name is Diffuse color in the matAnimList ) animatable

2 - at frame 0 i changed base color to red

3 - at frame 150 i changed base color to blue

now if i look at the 3D Viewport, the color of my cylinder does change

but the displayed color in the Surfaces Tab widget does not update as frequently as usual

i rendered this 10 frames animation with iRay, everything seems okay

i will post the announcement after i upload the 2020 version of matAnim

Awesome! Really great news to read that you are working on this. :))

Of course, money should and is not the primary motivation behind your work, since you are doing this for many years for yourself/ the community. I just wanted to say that if you manage to make this work in the current version of Daz. I'll love to donate a little bit more. Because your script will be a major help in my workflow :))

I hope it will be possible to animate the color without changing the shader or anything like that (I am using the standard Iray Uber shader that comes with basically everything? Daz related nowadays) because I am 2000 frames deep in animation and cannot change the shader of my subject now anymore. Take your time. I will progress my animation in the scenes where no color change is needed and come back to the color change scenes when you have the script updates.

THAAAAAAAAAAAANKS SO, SO much. There are many people here in the community who want the surface settings to be animatable. Sure many people will be very happy about this. Good luck Jacques!

EDIT: 

Also big thanks for the McJAniMatSave plugin. This will be the perfect companion for MatAnim :)

tadara.jpg
    960 x 576 - 191K

A new version compatible with Daz Studio's modern shaders is now available

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/matanim

note that since DS4.1X doesnt save material animations ( until they now do ) you can use this script to save/recover material animations

• mCasual said:

A new version compatible with Daz Studio's modern shaders is now available

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/matanim

note that since DS4.1X doesnt save material animations ( until they now do ) you can use this script to save/recover material animations

You're amazing! Thank you :-)

• Works like a charm now. Huge thanks again mCasual! :)

• Got the script and it seemed to work fine on my first try, but then at the end of rendering the first .png in the series, I got an "error during rendering" message and Studio locked up. I started over, but no matter what I do, I can't get the script to even work in the viewport now...

edited August 2020

if you go in the Help menu you get to the log file

and the error message  is possibly preceded by error messages that can show you the culprit

maybe the shader was corrupted ( for example, illegal values for one of the parameters ) 

so you could locate the problematic surface and re-apply the shader,

personally, i'd apply a different shader, then re-apply the old shader .... to get rid of problematic parameter values

Got the script and it seemed to work fine on my first try, but then at the end of rendering the first .png in the series, I got an "error during rendering" message and Studio locked up. I started over, but no matter what I do, I can't get the script to even work in the viewport now...

problematic.jpg
    794 x 416 - 84K
  • Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited August 2020

WARNING: QWidget::repaint: Recursive repaint detected. A search for others who've experienced the same issue produced one thread where the OP found that a render sub-d level higher than 1 caused it, but I have nothing in my scene that is above 1. 

EDIT: I have an idea what *may* be the problem. I used a custom .png opacity map that is stored on my one drive. Moved it into the folder with the shader. Will report back if that caused the error.

mCasual said:

if you go in the Help menu you get to the log file

and the error message  is possibly preceded by error messages that can show you the culprit

maybe the shader was corrupted ( for example, illegal values for one of the parameters ) 

so you could locate the problematic surface and re-apply the shader,

personally, i'd apply a different shader, then re-apply the old shader .... to get rid of problematic parameter values

Got the script and it seemed to work fine on my first try, but then at the end of rendering the first .png in the series, I got an "error during rendering" message and Studio locked up. I started over, but no matter what I do, I can't get the script to even work in the viewport now...

Post edited by Melissa Conway on
    edited August 2020

widgets are elements of the user interface, like buttons, thumbnails, popup dialogs etc

usually a widget gets repainted when somthing covers the widget, then it gets uncovered

now why repainting a widget would cause it to be repainted recursively i dont know

just a very wild guess .... maybe you use one of them floating iRay spot-render panels, and it interferes with the render

or or or ... you used the first version of my mcjObjBasedAnim script and iray is stuck in a mode where it renders to the 3DViewport instead of a new floating window ... something i corrected in version 3

or the problem widget in question ... is the Color slider of the property of the shader you animated ... in that case maybe it's preferable if the Surfaces Tab is not visible during the renders

WARNING: QWidget::repaint: Recursive repaint detected.

• Thanks so much for stopping by to offer ideas for me to investigate for a potential fix (even though it's mostly gobbledygook to me LOL). Not sure if you saw the edit I dropped into my previous post, but as it turns out, having my custom .png opacity map stored in one drive was the culprit (I hope. Still rendering, but it's looking good thus far). Your script is much appreciated!

M.

mCasual said:

widgets are elements of the user interface, like buttons, thumbnails, popup dialogs etc

usually a widget gets repainted when somthing covers the widget, then it gets uncovered

now why repainting a widget would cause it to be repainted recursively i dont know

just a very wild guess .... maybe you use one of them floating iRay spot-render panels, and it interferes with the render

or or or ... you used the first version of my mcjObjBasedAnim script and iray is stuck in a mode where it renders to the 3DViewport instead of a new floating window ... something i corrected in version 3

or the problem widget in question ... is the Color slider of the property of the shader you animated ... in that case maybe it's preferable if the Surfaces Tab is not visible during the renders

welcome

there's also my very old texanim v3.02 script which lets you animate texture images 

i plan on updating it soon with a "live" version

note that many of my scripts work better on old DsDefault materials as opposed to newer Uber/iRay materials

texanim from ... lets see ... 2019 oh my oh my https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI8ASIrk76Q&feature=emb_title

Thanks so much for stopping by to offer ideas for me to investigate for a potential fix (even though it's mostly gobbledygook to me LOL). Not sure if you saw the edit I dropped into my previous post, but as it turns out, having my custom .png opacity map stored in one drive was the culprit (I hope. Still rendering, but it's looking good thus far). Your script is much appreciated!

M.

mCasual said:

mCasual said:

This sounds really interesting! laugh

May I ask what "live" means? Perhaps it's the ability to save the animated materials in the scene file itself? smiley

in the case of matAnim it's already live, if you change the timeline's current frame, the materials properties change

but for texAnim, the swapping of texture images ( numbered image files ) only happens at render time and the rendering is controlled by texAnim 

so, for a live version, each time you change the frame, the script comes to life and swaps the textures, for example, at frame 10 it applies myWaterBumpMap0010.jpg to a water plane surface's bump map

and now you can use the normal render method to render your animation

like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIK0M_DnTno

mCasual said:

mCasual said:

mCasual said:

Imago said:
    mCasual said:

This sounds really interesting! laugh

May I ask what "live" means? Perhaps it's the ability to save the animated materials in the scene file itself? smiley

• Useful for TV animations or Theater loops. Thanks again