Best Way to back up everything?

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, are there instructions on the best wayt o back up daz stuff so the scene files will work? . I want to make sure I am performing a proper backup of not just the installers but my runtime so if my machine should crash then I can restore my work... (if possible).

thanks,

S

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,665
    edited December 1969

Back up all of your content directories - the vital one is the first listed in the Content Directory Manager for DAZ Studio formats as that holds the native geometry files, needed for the scene to open (in 4.0 - 4.5 is a bit more flexible, as long as the original files are present).

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

When you mean content directories, you are referring to everything within the daz 3d folder, such as the content manageent service, content manager, studio folder etc?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,665
    edited December 1969

Well, I meant everything in the various folders you have selected as content directories. Backing up the database is a little trickier, Adamr001 has a tutorial on that. Other settings are in the registry or in the DS AppData folder, but I'm not sue how portable things like custom actions would be.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

To backup the CMS database, you first need to stop the CMS Service, then you can copy the entire databases folder (you need all 5 or 6 files) to another location. Don't forget to restart the CMS.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I wrote a quick batch script for this purposes...

Here's a code sample of mine. You'd need to change the path to the CMS databases folder to what yours is for it to work.

pause
    net stop "DAZ Content Management Service"
    xcopy /y "E:\DAZ\Content Management Service\databases\*.*" "E:\DAZ\Content Management Service\databases\backup\"
    net start "DAZ Content Management Service"
    pause

This code also forces you to press the any key for it to start and gives you a chance to view any error messages (again by forcing you to press any key) before it closes.

Take out the two "pause" lines if you don't want the prompts.

This works only on Windows-based PCs. Haven't figured out how to do it in OSX yet sorry.