Question/Help with Snow

thanosmthanosm Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in Art Studio

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting in these forums and I've been away from my favorite hobby of 3D rendering for quite some time and I wanted to get back to it. In the past I kind of steered clear of snow scenes since I never liked the way snow turned out in a render, so I figured what better way to get back in to the swing of things than to give myself a project and try to tackle something I used to avoid.

My question to the community is, what do you all do to get a more realistic looking snow in your scenes? I'm pretty much going on theassumption it will require postwork in Photoshop, but I was wondering what you all start from and if there are any insider tricks and tips for making better snow.

This is the image I'm working on, however as Imentioned, I'm not happy with the snow in it. Special thanks to Uzilite and Lourdes for the amazing body armor and domino trenchcoat.

Have a great day everyone and thanks in advance for any tips you all can toss my way :)

Post edited by thanosm on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What app are you using. Bryce, Carrara, Daz Studio or Poser ? (shown in alphabetical order)

• thanosmthanosm Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, I guess that would be helpful to know huh? :) I was using Bryce for this one.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

Well to my mind Bryce is one of the easiest to do good snow in. We had a whole thread of snow pics in the old forum, last winter.

snow_how_to.png
    642 x 482 - 392K
    Aaarrgh_!!!.jpg
    960 x 720 - 428K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I think one of the most challenging aspects of getting snow to look right is in attempting to reproduce it's light reflecting/scattering qualities.
    Here's a few of my attempts (both done in Bryce).

Polar-Bear-Igloo6.jpg
    424 x 600 - 74K
    Snow-Tree-d.jpg
    500 x 714 - 67K