To unroll a paper...

DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

A member asked a interresting question on Carrarators: how to deploy a paper roll (in animation).
Here the link towards the solution that I found but, do you know a better and perhaps an easier than mine ?
I need to do that for my film in progress.
Thank you in advance.

http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=155.msg829#msg829

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

What about using bones?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I' m not specialized enough with the bones only to have a paper well rounded.
    To say the truth, I didn't try too much…

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I was just trying it, and I think your spline method looked better. Bones may be able to do something as well, but it would take a lot of them on a high density mesh to get smooth angles on the joints.

edited December 1969

The true problem with the splines in Carrara is that not only the selected points are turning, but the entirety of the spline.
    Do you think that one needs two or three parallel “skeletons” to influence all the width of the paper ?
    I will test the bones tomorrow.
    Thanks !

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I took this idea from an old William Vaughan Lightwave3D video on rolling and unrolling. My apologies in advance as the video is poor quality...Not thinking well today as I have a fever and didn't set the resolution.

Can see the video here ( I reversed it in premiere pro)

1. Go to modeler room - use a grid (16 lines for nice deformation)
    2. Use the deformation Bend matter back in the assemble room, go to the end of your play time enter 1440 (4 times it will roll around (4x1360)
    3. Set the limits lower end to 98, leave the higher end at 100
    4. Z axis if the grid is positioned like mine flat on the floor.
    5. Now you need to fix with a morph so the plane doesn't roll into one er plane, that is, it looks like it is rolling on itself rather than looking like a plane rolling up.
    6. Doesn't have to be much of a morph, just tilted in the model room in the same axis (Z) as the plane is rolling. That will give you the effect of a rolling paper or carpet.

Again I apologize for the video quality, my mind is funky today with fever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QenAwNdnJ8

edited December 1969

He, that seems very interesting and precise.
    I will try to study that also tomorrow but I'm not sure to arrive there.
    I keep you informed for the results (if I don't have a headache myself…:-S).
    I wish you a speedy recovery and thank you !

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

Design Acrobat, that works perfect! Instead of reversing it, you can just start with a large Bend Angle and keyframe the lower Limit (I'm sure it's the fever...)

I had an immediate problem with texture stretching which left me stumped. I eventually used a Rectangular Layer in the shader room and applied it to a shading domain and that stopped the Bend Modifier from squishing the text (don't know if that is the correct way to solve that problem...). Here are the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0HlqtA7pI&feature=youtu.be

DUDU_00001, I have attached some pictures, hope it helps. Just create a box with segments. Create a simple morph for it (see it rotated at a slight angle?). When you apply the Bend Modifier, the paper will roll into itself as Design Acrobat said, but applying the morph will prevent this.

morph_50.jpg
    477 x 355 - 27K
    morph_0.jpg
    472 x 348 - 23K
    shader.jpg
    263 x 467 - 28K
    morph.jpg
    457 x 202 - 7K
    paper_model.jpg
    464 x 309 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Great Job Desert Dude!

Design Acrobat, that works perfect! Instead of reversing it, you can just start with a large Bend Angle and keyframe the lower Limit (I’m sure it’s the fever…)

Yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited August 2014

Maybe I should revisit this using C8.5 softbody
    http://youtu.be/VNjopQ5zlpQ

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Excellent,
    No time to open my computer before this evening, but while waiting, can you say a little more about the morphing ?
    Thank you !

edited August 2014

Excellent,
    No time to open my computer before this evening, but while waiting, can you say a little more about the morphing ?
    Thank you !

Morphing is just the moving or rotating of vertices. You might here additional terminology used with DAZ or Poser models, but that's basically all it does - moves - rotates vertices

Be in the Model room and in our case, have the flat box ready to go and ALL the vertices highlight - because we are going to be moving the entire box with by rotating it slightly (tilt) to get the effect of an offset 'rollup' like a carpet or paper roll.

1, Create Morph Area - Give it a name always :)
    2. Create Morph target and Edit it
    3. Move the vertices . - In our case we move all of the object on a rotation or tilt.
    4. Click validate

You're done

I made another morph target that curls up the end just to show one can have one or many morph targets per object

One can also save morph targets for the same model, so you don' t have to keep re-inventing the wheel (but must be identical model)

You are probably thinking one could use morphs to open and close doors/windows or move lids etc and you would be right. Morphing is more than just making lips pucker and eyes blink on DAZ and Poser dolls.
    Note: the pics are out of order, but they are there matching the description in the instructions.

create_morph_area.jpg
    236 x 182 - 14K
    create_morph.jpg
    253 x 267 - 20K
    morph.jpg
    228 x 72 - 6K
    tilt_box.jpg
    743 x 430 - 40K
    curl_up.jpg
    822 x 386 - 48K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited December 1969

Hmmm… Big problem!
    I have deformations with axes X and Y (a beautiful spiral), but in all the cases, nothing doesn't happen with axis Z and it is this one which should work.
    I tested on other types of deformations and axis Z doesn't have any effect.
    I created a grid of 16 as suggested, which could be the problem ?
    Thanks for your explanation about morph target !

edited December 1969

Hi DUDU_00001,

I have attached a few more pictures. In my example I was unrolling the object down the Y axis. The "tilt" morph needs to run in the same direction. Then, in the Bend and Twist controls set the Axis to Y. Hope that helps and sorry for any confusion.

box_axis2.jpg
    576 x 340 - 15K
    box_axis1.jpg
    578 x 336 - 27K
    bend.jpg
    235 x 240 - 10K
    edited December 1969

OK, solved!
    I had entered 1440 “twist angle” and not “bend angle”…
    It should be said that I have a French version, sorry.
    Now, that works with wonder, I will be able to interest me in the morph target.
    Super sympathetic both !

edited December 1969

Hello friends!
    Here the final result while following your ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcpbJweegbA&feature=em-upload_owner

I can say that it is exactly what I sought.
    I believe that we doesn't know enough the modifiers of Carrara.
    If one of you could write a small tuto on Carrarators, they would be super !
    Still thank you !

edited December 1969

DUDU_0001, looks fantastic, glad you got it work!

I was just finishing a quick tutorial in PDF form when I saw your success. Would you like me to send it to you?

edited December 1969

DUDU_0001, looks fantastic, glad you got it work!

I was just finishing a quick tutorial in PDF form when I saw your success. Would you like me to send it to you?

With pleasure!
    But you can also publish it on Carrarators, here the thread: http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=155.0

and my e-mail: [email protected]

Thank you in advance! :-)

edited August 2014

DUDU_00001, I posted the pages up on Carrarators. I hope it is clear - it's not very pretty...

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

DUDU_00001, I posted the pages up on Carrarators. I hope it is clear - it's not very pretty...

Thanks so much for that, looks pretty clear to me , I'll be back with questions if it isn't :) seriously appreciate that