AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Another Bryce scene. Sorry about the same objects!

I was going to put a light in the lighthouse, but I couldn't find anything that would help me do this, so I have left it as it is.

DOF_3a.jpg
    800 x 599 - 76K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

give me a few minutes, and I will do you a little tutorial on how to put a light in there.

edited December 1969

OK Here we go. Bear in mind that I did this in Bryce 5, so your controls may look slightly different. I built a quick and dirty lighthouse with prims.

lighthouse_demo_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 23K
    lighthouse_demo_3.jpg
    632 x 480 - 131K
    lighthouse_demo_main.jpg
    800 x 600 - 218K
    edited December 1969

In this one I reduced to intensity of the radial light and added a spotlight, set to visible and stretched.

lighthouse_demo_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 18K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Chohole, will see what I can do.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

version3 said:
    Sorry! Hows this.

As Jadrail mentioned, bringing the forward dof forward a little will help. Might want to move the rear dof forward also. As the bear is lengthwise to the camera, having the back start to fade into the background will integrate the bear more into the image. Depending on the focal length the camera is set to, this would be what would happen with an actual photo.
    edited December 1969

Had a play around with lights and here is my result.

DOF_4.jpg
    800 x 564 - 67K
    edited December 1969

Oh, very well done. I am impressed.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm so happy. This month as started with some really good help and some very good renders in just 4 short days. I was afraid people might be scared off by a technical challenge but I appear to have been very wrong. I am really going to enjoy the rest of this month until voting time rolls around. I can tell already that that part will be very hard this time.

• kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Looking really good so far. Maybe a bit more blur in the background, but that could be personal preference.

I think that I have gone as far as possible with keeping the foreground and background slightly out of focus.
    Further changing f/stop and/or the focal distance appears to cause the main object to become slightly blurred.

rs_20120806_dof_0002.jpg
    800 x 640 - 105K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited August 2012

For the Daz Studio users I would like to add to Jaderail's fine image (from Page 4) to advise where the point of sparness is which is displayed as Cross Hairs between the DOF panes see image below.

DOF_000_copy.jpg
    800 x 791 - 313K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for Updating that Szark. It is a very good tip. Even one I was not 100% on myself.

edited December 1969

Also if you are new to this these begineers contests then I urge you to read the back pages as there is some very helpful information there which should help.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Thank you for Updating that Szark. It is a very good tip. Even one I was not 100% on myself.
    Yeah no problem. I may not post much but I am keeping an eye on things. Just to give you an examples of how my days are at present, 10 PM and just turning on the computer. It is normally on before 10 AM arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • home and hearthome and heart Posts: 25
    edited August 2012

WOW! Another cool contest (sorry I missed last months). Lots of great tips and advise, thanks teachers.

Maybe not able to try again this month, due to health and family issues, but it is great to see these great renders. Keep up the good work, will pop in when I can
    Home and Heart

Post edited by home and heart on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Another one :)

tombraider_bew.jpg
    800 x 600 - 140K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Nice one sasje. That's really good.

• edited December 1969

Not sure if I am allowed to enter this contest as I used to use Daz2, though I was never much good at it.

I might call this one "There's supposed to be a Dragon in here"

dragon.jpg
    700 x 875 - 96K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Not sure if I am allowed to enter this contest as I used to use Daz2, though I was never much good at it.

As long as you consider yourself a beginner at doing this then you are fine.

• edited December 1969

As long as you consider yourself a beginner at doing this then you are fine.

OK then, I will join in. This looks like a fun place to learn and I am a 'hands on' learner, user manuals put me to sleep and never understand them until I try first.

edited December 1969

We do try and make it fun. We are very much into edutainment.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:

You might try switching the focus to the human character & have the dragon be blurred. I think it would give more impact.

• edited December 1969

You might try switching the focus to the human character & have the dragon be blurred. I think it would give more impact.

That's mighty good advice BWSman, as well as the impact I named the picture wit a quote from the human character and then made him blurry. Doh!! :ohh:

dragon02.jpg
    700 x 875 - 101K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

bluemoon:this looks better than the first one, good work
    Frank thank you :)

• edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    bluemoon:this looks better than the first one, good work
    Frank thank you :)

Thankyou Sasje

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Well, since we're a third of the way through the contest, I thought I'd better post something, even if it's still a very rough WIP. I'm struggling a bit with this one, though it's the composition more than the DOF. I may try a lower, tighter camera angle, even if it means moving some of the figures around to make them fit the scene. There are no lights yet, and the render settings are still at default/draft levels. Think I'll let this one sit for a couple of days and maybe start the other project I had in mind for this contest. I'd be happy to hear any thoughts on it.

By the way, I'm glad to see so much Bryce stuff this month. Free Bryce was actually what brought me here in the first place. I'd never even heard of DS but I was hooked on it immediately...and, after completing your basic "tree on an island" render when I first installed Bryce, I haven't even opened it since. I'm looking forward to giving it another try, and really learning to do landscapes. Probably not for this contest, though.

fashion1b-fstop5_6-fdist1150_6-flength65.jpg
    800 x 800 - 230K
  • edited December 1969

Made a few changes to the lights, eleven of them and tried uber environment for ambient light.

I would love some comments, plus or minus on what you think.

Dragon01.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 123K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Made a few changes to the lights, eleven of them and tried uber environment for ambient light.

I would love some comments, plus or minus on what you think.

Much better with the dramatic lighting.
    The only comment I'd make is that the man needs also to be lit more than the dragon, this will do two things;
    It will emphasise that there is some distance between the two subjects (justifying the depth of field).
    It will bring him into focus even more making the dragon appear more of a menacing threat.

So you don't lose the red on the left side of his face, maybe try a white light shining on the right side of him?
    Play with the balance of light a bit until he is just highlighted enough to make him jump out a bit.

edited December 1969

Yes I was just going to suggest that you look at some of the hints and tips about lighting which came up during the June New users contest.

• edited December 1969

TheSavage64 and chohole, thanks for the replies.

I might sleep on it and have another look in the morning, I have a bit of information overload after spending the day trying to figure out how to do what I have done so far. And yes, I enjoyed every minute (except when I crashed my computer because I had every light set for raytraced shadows).