Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Thanks for that helpful fix, _PJF_ re: planetary bumpiness/shadow transition at the terminator. Will keep it as a reference for future spacey works.

Nice one, chohole - way better than the first attempt. Auhh, to live in such a mill. In my youth there was an old mill (it produced shovels and the like) nearby, and it was just paradise for friends and I - fishing, swimming, exploration...etc. Unlike yours, the water was below the level of the wheel's centre, so it rotated backwards, which then produced the hammer for shaping the shovels.

Jay

I have heard of, but never seen, a watermill like that. Is called breast shot. Most in Wales are either overshot, as mine is, due to the preponderance of mountains, and therefore waterfalls to drive them, or undershot, where the rivers run so fast they can drive the wheel just with the force of the running water.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    Procedural planets and nebulae.

Very good. And thank you for the info about the bump. That makes sense I think. Mostly because a bump level of over ten is getting close to the limit of what could relate to real geometry. This is kind of hard for me to find the right words to explain. Bump can be thought of as a surface effect and for that higher ranges of bump are fine. But... that's because a lot of the normals generated by the bump in extreme cases are not interacting with the light source because they are facing too far away (you end up with a really contrasty bump effect - which can be a good thing). So most of the time the unrealisticness (as far as the geometry it portrays) of the effect is not really obvious.

Not so with reflection for example.

With reflection, it is not the light source that matters but the observer. And when you use high levels of bump with that (>20 usually) you can get the odd situation where the bounced ray goes under the geometry surface to which the bumpy material is applied. (render option "refection correction" is an option fix for this issue by artificially limiting the bump simulated normal to 90 degrees to the geometry normal).

For "natural" or "real" surface bump on a planet is in the +-10 range. But to be clear, I'm not saying that all bump should be in that range all the time, because it is an effect, but in the case of a sphere, because of the interaction between the geometry normal and the simulated normal and this issue with the light grazing along the surface of it, to get those shadows without using an additional light as you proposed (thanks for the tip) then yes. Low levels are needed.

But... low levels can be a bit dull... And I like extremes!

Here's some more stuff I've been playing with while my internet has been broken.

Black_hole6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 139K
    Artifact10.jpg
    850 x 850 - 166K
    Artifact8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 179K
    Artifact6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 121K
    Artifact3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 104K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The animation tests are coming along.

Having to set multiple groups within the same object to move their point of origin so that they work correctly is a bit of a pain (I'm talking my book model here)... especially when in my usual fashion, I just knocked the model together with no thought or forward planning... But it's done now and it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxlafvVnF84

I've also increased the quality for the last few clips I've rendered and added a bot of sound... Just because I could. :cheese:
    Next job I think is to venture into the very scary Motion Lab (A place I've hardly ever explored and is probably very dusty in my copy of Bryce) to see if I can get better fluid motion of the components as they are a bit jerky at the moment.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen - Okay. You are using Hubble shots. Jigs up.

Just kidding, of course. So amazing, though. I'm sure you do these things in a matter of minutes, where it would take me days to come close. One thing I noted, that really does add a very nice touch, is the way you added a soft, reddish glow to many of the background stars, yet, only where appropriate.

@TheSavage64 - "Once upon a time..." I think I've read that one. Real nice work, though. Did you get that job, or is this the submission that will get you it? If you don't get it, I would love to see what competition knocks you out.

I came into Bryce in 2008, put it aside due to work, and didn't get back into it until 2010 while convalescing from an auto accident. That was when I got really enthused about it, and started realizing it's vast potential.Then, I got back on my feet, and started working again even harder and more hours. Took me out of Bryce time again. Now I've been recovering from another auto accident, and I don't think my addiction to Bryce is going to just go away this time.

The point is; I've only been back in this group a couple of months. Therefore, I missed out on a LOT. The question is: Has there been a group challenge for Bryce animation? Will there be? Of course, it's Mr. Savages work that made me ask this. I'm just kind of assuming there won't be, because it would have to be all external links, since the forum rejects video file uploads, but I don't know if that was the case in the past.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2014

CTippetts said:
    @David Brinnen - Okay. You are using Hubble shots. Jigs up.

Just kidding, of course. So amazing, though. I'm sure you do these things in a matter of minutes, where it would take me days to come close. One thing I noted, that really does add a very nice touch, is the way you added a soft, reddish glow to many of the background stars, yet, only where appropriate.

No it takes hours if not days to set up these textures. The sky settings are a simple thing though.

No clouds.

No IBL.

Just pump in the values shown. Most of the heavy lifting is done through colour perspective.

Image5.jpg
    669 x 606 - 133K
    Image1.jpg
    660 x 564 - 144K
    Image4.jpg
    706 x 275 - 86K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2014

@Horo: Thanks, and thank you for the information. The C-island really turned out nice.

@Dave: Thank you, and for the tip. Book image is beautiful and what you've done so far with the animation is absolutely wonderful. Especially the opening of the book.

@PJF: Love your planet scenes.

@C Tippetts: Thank you.

@Pam: Your reissued scene is really nice. I'll have to compare both when time permits.

@Sandy: Really nice work, on that finished scene. Additions are just the right touch.

@David: Nice results on the planets.

As to my posted clouds, some didn't care for the last two, but I have seen clouds such as those and even more colorful if the sun was just right. Still practicing with the tutorial, still coming up with different results.

Edit: Just adding a new image to this post instead of creating a new post. I'd like to have the cloud more dispersed, but can't seem to figure out how it's done. I follow the video but results are a lot different. As usual, any and all suggestions and/or comments welcomed.

volumetric_clouds_43.png
    1080 x 810 - 733K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Do you have the white set 255;255;255 ? Try setting it to 250;250;250 and then increase the blue element gradually if you don't like the white produced.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,115
    edited December 1969

@David - interesting shapes. The possible permutations are almost infinite.

@Jamie - all your clouds look great. Indeed, nature can produce cloud forms you wouldn't believe such could happen. More dispersed - doesn't it help to decrease Base Density a bit? Or scale the texture with the Transformation Tools.

Here is another try with the C-Island using a fisheye lens in front of the camera.

IsleC-FEb.jpg
    1200 x 480 - 106K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,995
    edited December 1969

As usual beautiful renders from everyone

Tim Bateman – awesome wip

Fishtales – beautiful “happy accident”

Horo- the C-island is nicely beautiful, I also could not find “the two ladies”, that’s because I need a new pair of them glasses.

Guss – all the cloud renders are looking nice especially the first and the last one you just posted.

Chohole – love the Water Mill – all your landscape renders are beautiful

Dave – the latest video is really cool, awesome animation. The Book model is beautiful

PJF and David – love all the space scenes

Sorry if I forget to mention anyone, there was a lot of tips to read; copied and pasted some of the info for later reference. Thanks everyone.

Here’s my latest playing with the Lens and Filters and working with David’s tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uZhEC8erc

I threw in another gif animation.

I find abstracts so addictive and now with the lens ……. I need more hours in the day. Although the only animation I can do is rotating the camera, I'm having lots of fun playing with the lens and animation.

glowcore2ani.gif
    400 x 400 - 4M
    glowcore2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 81K
    glowcore3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 117K
    glowcore.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 220K
    edited December 1969

Horo- another beautiful render of the C-island. The Lens are so cool to use.

edited December 1969

@Sandy: I'm not sure what setting are being used, I don't think it's actually "white" though. I figure if I keep playing with this I'll finally see what colors work best where.

@Horo: Thanks. Yeah, adjusting base density lowers or raises cloud density, amount showing on screen, and increasing or lowering texture settings also affects the look. Of all the C-island you've posted, I find your latest my favorite. Beautiful colors.

@mermaid: Thank you. Love the new lens images, especially the green ones. I can't watch the animated one too long since it gives me vertigo. You're getting nice results with those lenses.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Edit: Just adding a new image to this post instead of creating a new post. I'd like to have the cloud more dispersed, but can't seem to figure out how it's done. I follow the video but results are a lot different. As usual, any and all suggestions and/or comments welcomed.

I really need to try that ... been meaning to. I have to get one of those round tuit things.

However, one of the first things that struck me, (right after noticing how the dark undersides really add realism), is that the tops of some of these clouds seem way too flat, way too suddenly ... like you're using a Boolean object to negate them.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss sorry about the vertigo, you can image the stage I am in, this is just one of the many I have ;)

edited December 1969

@C Tippetts: Yeah, those flat tops seem to occur no matter what I do; I'm just following the tutorial as closely as possible. I don't know if there's a setting that can help alleviate that or not, I'll have to keep playing around.

@mermaid: So, I guess you're going around in circles?:)

Here's another volumetric cloud I just finished, after mucking around for awhile. Any and all comments and/or suggestions are gladly accepted.

volumetric_clouds_19.png
    1080 x 810 - 665K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. Those abstracts are great. The animation shows the potential of the artwork above.

@Jamie - thank you. Have you ever tried to change the thickness of the slab? Your last example has the underside and the top flattened. The forms themselves look great.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @C Tippetts: Yeah, those flat tops seem to occur no matter what I do; I'm just following the tutorial as closely as possible. I don't know if there's a setting that can help alleviate that or not, I'll have to keep playing around.

@mermaid: So, I guess you're going around in circles?:)

Here's another volumetric cloud I just finished, after mucking around for awhile. Any and all comments and/or suggestions are gladly accepted.

When David was first developing this recipe for clouds he purposefully turned them upside down. In nature the bottoms would be flat and the tops would be dynamic. But since most shots of clouds are taken from a low perspective David figured having dynamic undersides would be more feasible, putting the good stuff in view. What we really need is a way to make both the tops and the bottoms dynamic, but so far that ideal has eluded me. Perhaps David has some new methods since these were developed.

edited December 1969

Guss - I'm inspired by your efforts, you got much better results than I did when I tried David's tutorial.

Thanks Horo, I looking into animation because I want to do more with then the lens than just going in circles. ;) :)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Sometimes after battle, Vic and Drag like to take selfies :lol:

Jay
    (posed in DS, rendered in Bryce)

Selfie.jpg
    695 x 695 - 672K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: I may have tried thickening the slab, I can't remember after doing so many. I'm not happy how single clouds in my images are like pancakes. I have been toying with an idea of reorienting the slab to see what changes. Flipping the slab on its side then widen it and see what happens. It's just an idea at the moment, and one I may pursue after I'm able to use the controls much better.

@Rashad: It would also be good if somehow the bottoms could be "fluffed" as seen in real clouds. That would go a long way in helping to define the clouds.

@mermaid: Thank you for the confidence, you should see the ones that got away. I can't tell you how many times I watched the volumetric clouds part 1 video. But I watch a bit, then do that part, watch more, etc. When something doesn't quite work, I'll rewind the video to see what I missed, and have another go. I've done so many I now can almost set everything up without missing something. ALMOST!. I'm also starting to see how small changes can make huge changes. Once I'm over confident :lol: I'm going to start seeing if I can't place the clouds where I want and the shape I want. I might be 80 when that happens. ;-)

@Jay: Such a cute image.

edited August 2014

@Jay - great idea, nicely done.

An overview of one of the new islands (H). Again 3 similar terrains in different resolutions stacked.

IsleH-Overview.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 177K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

It took 2 days to put together another 7 seconds of the animation but it's starting to come together nicely (ish).

Not finished by any means but here's the latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ua8jlV7UU

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

It took 2 days to put together another 7 seconds of the animation but it's starting to come together nicely (ish).

Not finished by any means but here's the latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ua8jlV7UU

Wow. That's amazing! I love it!

edited August 2014

Thanks Rashad. I've still got to sort the lighting out because in the finished version I want the study room to be candle lit.
    I'm thinking a large candle melted on top of a skull sitting on the desk.
    Also the shelves will have more misc stuff on them instead of being solely populated with products... Books, jars and ornaments to create clutter.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Jay - that's so funny, thanks for brightening a blue Monday, a very nice render

Guss - I do the same as you do. Both David's and Horo's videos are awesome, and most of those found on Bryce-info too, but I get frustrated so easily that is why I leave it for a while before going back to it later. I find that the 5th or 6th time round, I understand the concepts better too. ;)

Horo - another stunning render

Dave - Wow - Awesome, I love it.

edited December 1969

@Horo - Another wonderful beauty. Is the "H" for Horo? Waiting to see the "W" island. (Hmmm ... "W" island. That reminds of the scene in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World just before Jimmy Durante "kicks the bucket".)

@TheSavage64 - I'm not sure a skull candle holder is going to fit in with your hardware supplies collector theme. Or, is it the hardware store theme that doesn't go? None the less, if you do use a candle on the same desk as the book, it would be cool if you could add a slight variation in your lighting as the book opening disturbs the air by the candle, then stabilizes again as you zoom in on the words. Candles don't always flicker, but it's hard to move anything around them without a flicker. You can do it. I know you can.

edited December 1969

I made a cloud. It's really a political statement about apathy. It's called "Until the Storm's Upon Us, it's All Just Distant Rain".

I left PLENTY of room for criticism. It's my first real try that came anywhere close to working. (Believe me, you don't want to see previous attempts. Let me just say groups of metaballs do nothing for clouds.)

TilTheStormsUponUsItsAllJustDistantRain_Small.jpg
    1320 x 692 - 429K
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:
    @TheSavage64 - I'm not sure a skull candle holder is going to fit in with your hardware supplies collector theme. Or, is it the hardware store theme that doesn't go? None the less, if you do use a candle on the same desk as the book, it would be cool if you could add a slight variation in your lighting as the book opening disturbs the air by the candle, then stabilizes again as you zoom in on the words. Candles don't always flicker, but it's hard to move anything around them without a flicker. You can do it. I know you can.

People usually come to me expecting "quirkyness"... The story is of the company and how it started.
    I'm portraying the founder as a wizard working on his potions and developing his magic glues and building chemicals... Yes, the skull fits perfectly. :-)

edited December 1969

Skull Candle model is ready :D

SkullCandle.jpg
    422 x 650 - 116K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2014

Cheers, Horor, Mermaid...and others I'm sure I missed.

Savage, yeah, vid coming along nicely...adding in any light instance (as I'm sure you'll well know) - with candle etc., - will set you back miles in animation render times. The effect is super, but times in such instances will have to be short (you might as well include some shimmer, too - movement of light this tiny way that tiny way...etc.,.) as it won't add that much to just a static light instance.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Skull Candle model is ready :D

Nice candle! Now that I understand the theme; yes. Go with it. Sorry I questioned you ... again.

This discussion has been closed.