Frustrating Crashes

kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Thought I would re-work one of my old images in B7pro, origional was done in 2004. Anyway what I did was moved a sampan more into the fore ground added some baskets now every time I try to save CRASH!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr. File size is 40.2Mb.

Cheers
GG

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

I have frequent crashes with bryce 7 and my files are not so big. I keep saving as I work. I'm on windows 7 64bit.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@kiwi_gg - file size doesn't tell you anything about the size of the scene because it is compressed. This has the advantage of saving (cheap) disk space but the disadvantage that the compression/decompression is done in memory.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A question Horo. Is this compression something that was introduced in Br7 or has it always been there ?

I ask because I have BR5 files with a size of eg 493gb Would dread to think how big the scene file would be if that is a compressed size.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

File compression came with Bryce 6.0. Bryce 5.0 has them definitely uncompressed. By the way, you can try it: zip the file. If you gain a lot, the file is uncompressed. If you gain only a few percents, it is already compressed.

edited December 1969

OK, thanks Horo. I didn't bother putting 6 on this PC, and as you know I don't think it will even try to work with 7, much as I want to play with the big boys and use B7.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that info horo, I did'nt know about the file compression being introduced with B6. I Have had a sleep on the crash problem and I think it may be the texture on the baskets thats doing it so I'll check it out some time today.

Cheers
    GG

edited December 1969

It could well be the textures. Bryce uses uncompressed textures, and so many textures nowadays are made physically big (in pixel size) and high res, so when they are uncompressed by Bryce they have quite enormous kb sizes. Basically think of a jpg being turned back into a tiff or bmp.

Horo did do a chart with te comparitive sizes once, but of course it is somewhere in the old Bryce forum.