Finding my DS3 content in DS4 -- Yes, it's me again.

TorbyTorby Posts: 250
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I've managed to load and render some of my old DS3 scenes. Now trying to find my DS3 clothes. For instance, I have a pair of overalls that some kind soul rigged for K4 for me. The first image is where they are on my hard drive, in the old Studio 3 content.

So now I'm hunting around in DS4 for them.

Oh! I think this is the key... I had to add the DS3 folders under Poser formats in the content directory manager. Second Image. Now I find folders that look much like my DS3 content did under "Poser Formats," so I can add my overalls.

Well, almost. As you can see, DS4 didn't quite put them on my K4 Trotwood the way DS3 did. Something dreadful seems to have happened to his straps.

Suggestions?

P.S. Wow, you can really attach 9MB of files?

Comments

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a suggestion, maybe you should use the original clothing without the rigging and see if it conforms using the transfer tool like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7abESLvn0yg

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

While content seems to be accessible, I notice your folder view has the content at
    documents/My Content/DAZ 3D/Studio3/content

While the poser content folder is given as
    documents/DAZ 3D/Studio3/content

which is odd. Do you have two copies of the DAZ 3D/Studio3/content folders under both documents and documents/My Content? And given you had to add these to DS4, don't you have a DS4 poser content folder as well?

Second question, when you talk about K4, do you mean K4, or Genesis with the child morphs applied? The rear of the model is so twisted it looks almost as though it's a Gen 4 CR2 that's been manually manipulated to fit around the extra abdomen 2 bone in Genesis. Are the overalls fitted to the figure?

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

A. No, only 1 copy, but I may have mistakenly unzipped stuff to the wrong places. It says c:\users\tom\documents\DAZ 3d\Studio 3\Content... Other content seems to load normally, like I was playing with the "Dusty Attic" just after I posted.

B. I have Genesis and the morph packs, but don't quite know it enough to reproduce my character, so I'm trying my K4 from DS 3. Also don't have things like clothes for gen yet. I have the base character wearing his jeans, a polo shirt, shoes and one shoe untied in a .daz file from DS 3. When I want him in a scene, I merge the daz file into the scene. Why? Just 'cause I don't know any better. I did check "Fit to" as that was the first thing I suspected. Let's check, yes, only one abdomen bone. Perhaps I just have the boy twisted? Sometimes I've accidentally done that and gotten something twisted around 1400 degrees or so. Nope, all those are normal values.

Interesting video. I now know a little more about clothes, but I have no idea how to get the original clothing. Perhaps it's one of the files in the folder?

edited August 2012

Oh, you mean "Documents\My Documents\DAZ 3d\Studio 3\content... Let's see... Yes, that's kindof a confusing thing about win7. The folder also exists here:

You see, "Documents\MyDocuments" is some kind of pointer to c:\users\tom\documents.

(Well, I DID make a screen shot of the other folder)

HereItIs.jpg
    855 x 303 - 55K
    Post edited by Torby on
    edited December 1969

I had in mind to quick render a picture of him reading a book along these lines. I find I don't know anything about DS for the second time :roll:

BoyReading.jpg
    800 x 532 - 77K
    edited December 1969

I don't have Windows 7, so I'm unclear if the difference in folder names is an issue or not. Hopefully some Win 7 owner can cast their eye over it.

Something you might try is to delete the scene, load K4 from content library, select K4, load the overalls from content library, select the overalls and check under parameters that 'their fit to' value shows as K4, if it is 'none' or anything else, set it to K4 and see if the twisting is there. This is basically just to do the whole process in DS4 to check there aren't any issues flowing through from the saved DS3 scene.

Something else you might try, is to enable smoothing on the clothes: with overalls selected, click on the little square box in the top right corner of your content library tab, scroll down to 'edit' and then click on 'apply smoothing modifier'. It might make no difference, or it might make some.

edited August 2012

Oh, good thinking: 1 Generic, unaltered entirely stock K4 with overalls!

So, how might I get Trot's settings to a new K4 in DS4 (or even a new genesis.) I think I built him using "Shape of a child," then dialing until I got the character I wanted. Am I remembering somewhere there was a way to copy the settings from one figure to another? I suppose I could start with a nice big photo of him and start dialing morphs...

Wonder what happens if I try to put these K4 overalls on a genesis kid. Let's be daring...

StockK4.jpg
    733 x 617 - 74K
    Post edited by Torby on
    edited December 1969

hehe, I get a gray alien with a denim patch on his back. It does tell me there's an autofit plugin that will solve the problem. I think my play budget for August is used up.

GenesisOveralls.jpg
    733 x 617 - 71K
    edited December 1969

How very odd. I guess Trot must have outgrown his bibs. Those were his favorite pants.

Other clothes go on him fine.

I even tried saving him as a character preset, then applying that to a new K4. He came with no hair or clothes. It's the first I've tried Character Presets. Then, when I put the overalls on him, the straps go haywire.

So, I started again with a K4, put the overalls on him, and all looks fine, then I applied the Trotwood preset I'd saved and.. The straps went out of control.

Maybe something is wrong with the pose? So I called up the original Trotwood daz, set his pose to default and saved the character preset again. Still, the straps go wonky whenever that character is applied to another K4.

Confused. Perhaps he can't wear his bibs until I learn more about clothes and DS 4. (I would like a more worn texture.)

edited December 1969

how might I get Trot’s settings to a new K4 in DS4 (or even a new genesis.) I think I built him using “Shape of a child,” then dialing until I got the character I wanted.

You should be able to use the character without an issue. If you have him saved as a scene, load him that way and delete everything. Then load the overalls. It really shouldn't need you to transfer the morphs to a new version of K4, there shouldn't be a difference between DS3 and DS4. Looking at Shape of A Child, I see that it uses magnets to fit clothing. Have you been using the magnets?

Basically clothes won't fit a non-standard shape unless they have either the appropriate morph built in, or an appropriate magnet applied. The problem is that the Shape of a Child morphs aren't something most K4 clothing will include, therefore you need to use the magnets to fit anything to him.

(Genesis is an exception to this as autofit automatically follows the body shape, but this only applies to Genesis).

If you did want to transfer him to Genesis, you would probably need to do it using Generation X, the process would be to load him, save him as a character file, then load him into Gen X and transfer him that way. Once that is done, you'll find an entry for him in the morphs for any new Genesis figure you load (you do need to load the texture separately, just as for K4)

It does tell me there’s an autofit plugin that will solve the problem.

Autofit is free: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/daz-studio-4-auto-fit-tool/ and should handle your Generation 4 clothing without an issue.

edited December 1969

Cool. Just "got" autofit.
    Cool. Getting Autofit.

You should be able to use the character without an issue. If you have him saved as a scene, load him that way and delete everything. Then load the overalls. It really shouldn’t need you to transfer the morphs to a new version of K4, there shouldn’t be a difference between DS3 and DS4. Looking at Shape of A Child, I see that it uses magnets to fit clothing. Have you been using the magnets?

That's how I've dealt with him with DS 3. I have a saved scene of him wearing the default outfit for school. For an out-of-school scene, I'd just load the scene, or merge it into the scene, delete his clothes (sounds pretty bad, eh?) and add the overalls.

Since switching to DS 4, this pair of overalls goes wacky whenever I add them to this K4. Others load fine.

Cool. So Generation X can make a Genesis character of my K4 character, complete with skin? Since trot is often shirtless, he really does need his nipples. Yes, I do have the Genesis morph bundle, and they'll make skin colored nipples, but I don't have any skins for Genesis.