send backwards

vivienrkvivienrk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello, I have trees and a mountain but I see that the mountain is in front of parts of the trees. I would like to send the mountain behind the trees. Is that possible?
Thanks!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2014

Select the mountain and use Edit from the top line of icons and the reposition buttons to move it (4th Icon along on the edit screen)

or , of course, you can do the same with the trees and move them as well.

Select buttons are on the bottom line of icons

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited August 2014

Vivianrk..
    It sounds like you're new to Bryce... Although I have been playing with it for a few years, I am still learning. I found that watching the many available video tutorials was invaluable to me.. check out the many Bryce tutorials in this very forum. Good luck and have fun.
    Steve

Post edited by mtnmen on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Vivianrk: Welcome to the forum. To help see how far you move the mountains you can change your view by using the keypad. #1 is the camera view; #2 is the overhead view and you can use the '+' and '-' keys to zoom in and out; #3 is the right view; #4 is the left view; #0 is the director view. Also, there's a drop down to the right of the preview pain which also lets you choose your view.

• vivienrkvivienrk Posts: 0
    edited August 2014

Thanks for all your help but I am very new to Bryce so I am still floundering. I have highlighted the mountain and pressed 'E' but where is the option to place it behind other objects?

Thank you for the welcomes :)

Post edited by vivienrk on
    edited December 1969

Use this widget from the top line of icons

Bryce_edit_and_move.jpg
    862 x 140 - 121K
    edited December 1969

You may also benefit from browsing through some tutorials

From this one (for absolute beginners) http://www.pxleyes.com/tutorial/bryce/1218/Absolute-Beginners-Guide-to-Bryce.html

or this one, which is a series and reccomended http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/BryceTuts/BrycePages/Bryce1Start.html

Don't worry about the fact that many tutorials are for Earlier versions, The basic operations haven't varied too much since Bryce 5, but many new features have been added.

There is a whole list of tutorials listed here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/323/#41654

edited December 1969

Thanks for that. Yes I have been resizing and moving and turning objects. But my problem is that I have trees located in the workspace and when I add a mountain, I want it to be in the background of the trees. Like in Word, on inserting a picture, one can designate to put the pic 'behind text' or ' in front of text. In other words I want the trees to be overlapping the mountain so that the mountain sits visibly behind the trees.

PS I will look into those tutes later, thanks.

edited December 1969

Working in 3D is not the same as working in 2D, you have a 3 dimensional space to fill, so you need to move things around differently, no such thing as layering as you get in images.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103
    edited December 1969

@vivienrk - a mountain is a terrain and as such an object like a tree. It can be resized and moved. If you use the Perspective camera instead of the Directors camera and set it as shown below, you can select any object and move it Z = forward/back, X = left/right and Y up/down. Bryce is a 3D program and your objects are in a room, not on a plane. Word - or any 2D image or construction program - is a plane without depth. Here it makes sense to send an object back, i.e. behind any object in the foreground. In a 3D program, such nomenclature doesn't make any sense because if you move the camera, what is back can be right and what was front left depending on how you move and rotate the camera. In this context, what is front and what is back is relative to the camera - the observer - and therefore there are no controls with such labels. As long as you look at the wireframe, you haven't a depth clue and your trees and montain appear to be at the same plane. Either render or look from above or a side and you'll see they are at different locations.

CamPos.gif
    804 x 402 - 39K
    CamEdit.jpg
    292 x 461 - 28K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo - I understand more now. So it is up to the camera position. So if I set it at the rear and create a mountain, then this object will be in the rear?
    Thanks also for your images. I don't have the Perspective camera option, only Current, Director and Camera view, so when I open up the Camera and 2 D projection popup the object name is Director.

PS sorry to be so long in getting back to this

edited December 1969

@vivienrk - you're welcome. You do have the Perspective camera. In the first image above, there is a hand below the green save dots, left of the terrain with the green frame. You have a directors stool there. Just click on it to change the camera.

Imagine a room where you put your objects in. You standing at a place (near the door, for example) and look at it. When you move around in the room (the camera is your eye), the perspective changes and you see how the objects are distributed in this room.

Again in the first image, there is a grey down-arrow where I put a red left arrow. Above is another such grey down arrow. If you click on it, a menu pops up that lets you look from top, bottom, left, right, front and back on your scene without moving the camera.

edited December 1969

Is that the Perspective Toggle you mentioned?

edited December 1969

Yay - I've done it. I toggled to areal view and placed the object behind the other objects, then toggled back to the normal view, and the object is in the rear.
    Thank you all so much especially Horo for supporting me :)

edited December 1969

You are more than welcome, vivienrk. Glad to hear that you figured it out. There are many symbols you can click on to get menus or options. I've always considered Bryce as some sort of an adventure game. Click on everything and get surprised.

edited December 1969

Addendum: I actually am using Bryce as a backdrop for 3D JWildfire which Andreas is just launching. The flame is created in JW, then exported to Fiji and followed with using a 3D software to create an environment. I chose Bryce Pro as I had it already downloaded a few months back. I had a play with it at that time but now I can really get in and 'learn' it. I have so enjoyed this learning curve and I just want to say that I am very grateful that I can get assistance here if I need it. So thanks again Horo for the patience and instruction!

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    You are more than welcome, vivienrk. Glad to hear that you figured it out. There are many symbols you can click on to get menus or options. I've always considered Bryce as some sort of an adventure game. Click on everything and get surprised.

Not only that, don't just click, Try Alt-click and such. (I learned this from a David Brinnen video.) For example, hold ALT, then click on the Create Tree icon. You'll see a list of tree files not available from just clicking on the Create Tree without the ALT.

HAVE FUN!

edited December 1969

That is super fun - thank you!!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 1969

vivienrk said:
    Addendum: I actually am using Bryce as a backdrop for 3D JWildfire which Andreas is just launching. The flame is created in JW, then exported to Fiji and followed with using a 3D software to create an environment. I chose Bryce Pro as I had it already downloaded a few months back. I had a play with it at that time but now I can really get in and 'learn' it. I have so enjoyed this learning curve and I just want to say that I am very grateful that I can get assistance here if I need it. So thanks again Horo for the patience and instruction!

Bryce is fun and you have an interesting idea to use Bryce for the environment. I'm not good at landscapes, and had more success with stills, abstracts and fractals, You can see some of my Jwildfire fractals rendered in Bryce here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39084/P555

edited December 1969

That's interesting. I don't quite understand what you did with the flame in Bryce and in what format it was imported. The going procedure atm is creating and rendering a flame in JW and then use the in-house 3D mesh generator to generate the slices. These are imported into Fiji which produces an object file. I then chose Meshlab to invert the faces and apply a smoothing effect. This resultant object is then imported into Bryce or another 3D software to apply colour and a backdrop.

Here are links to the 3D JW flames I have completed thus far:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+vivienrk/posts/UuDVARFBpSp?pid=6044382723592358754&oid=105162653578455441389
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+vivienrk/posts/UuDVARFBpSp?pid=6042525303510840098&oid=105162653578455441389

and my first attempt in Bryce ;)
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+vivienrk/posts/UuDVARFBpSp?pid=6041361402944293746&oid=105162653578455441389

edited December 1969

Wow, your examples are great but that’s too much work going from one program to another.

I applied the png image after rendering the Fractal in JWildfire; as a heightmap to a terrain but I found that using the lattice is easier. I increased the resolution to 1024. Then I applied the same image as a picture in the material lab and changed some of the settings. I rotated the object 90 degrees on the x-axis and about 38 on the Y. used the black sky from the sky lab and added a radial light as the lighting was a bit dark.

Here’s another using a preset sky with the ground plane reflection sent to 35

I hope the screenshots make sense. If you need more info let me know.

Have Fun

jwfireex.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K
    matlab2.jpg
    859 x 633 - 66K
    matlab1.jpg
    859 x 633 - 74K
    terraineditor.jpg
    1267 x 858 - 201K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for that - help - another learning curve but I'm off to have a go :)

edited December 1969

In Bryce I went file/open image but then how do you get it to appear in the terrain editor like in your first screen shot pls?

edited December 1969

I've done it - now to find time to have a play. Thanks heaps Mermaid :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@vivienrk: Those are beautiful images.

@mermaid: That's a sharp object and scene.

edited December 1969

Thanks *GussNemo* :)

edited August 2014

You welcome Vivienrk, it will be cool to see your results. :)

Thanks Guss I prefer the one with the black background that I posted in the Show us your renders thread.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Attached is my latest 3D fractal rendered in Bryce. From the assistance I was given I placed the candle in the holder and centered the flame also in the candle in aerial view. So cool!

Candle_de_la_lune_2000.jpg
    2000 x 1051 - 512K
    edited December 1969

Wow Vivienrk it is awesome. Thanks for sharing

edited December 1969

Thank you - you're welcome :)

edited December 1969

@vivienrk - very nicely done.