BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Late Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ TREES ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@adbc: Did you remember to put that water material in your library? Don't forget, it's a real keeper. As Jay said, you hit the nail on the head with this one.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

@zuridy - welcome to these forums. Nice start, sky colours are great.

@adbc - ah yes, the water on the third looks indeed best. Do as GussNemo suggests. It's easier to get it from the library than finding the source file to copy things.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,095
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney : thanks, it happened just by (a lucky)accident
    @GussNemo : thanks for your comment and for reminding me to save it.
    @horo : thank you for your comment.

edited December 1969

@adbc: Things happening by accident is good. Especially if it's what you were after. The trick is to remember how you achieved the results or remember to save it to a library for future use. I've found once something has accidentally been created, and I save it, I can go back and study how it was achieved.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

My third entry... The Hangman's Tree
    Every Old West town had one...
    The tree is Lisa's Botanicals Creepy Trees II
    Now that this is done I can just sit back and really check out and enjoy all the wonderful entries thus far in the challenge ...
    Good luck to everyone
    Steve

The_Hangmans_Tree!.jpg
    960 x 720 - 439K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

spooky

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Been on holidays, so out of reach. However, I did get to work on a contribution myself. I saw a load of very different and highly interesting submissions already. I tried to go in a different direction, i.e. towards more graphic, illustrating.
    I made all of this myself in Bryce. The trees are a combination of metaballs, all very simple. Decided to go forsome nice colour contrast (at least, I like it) and nice lines that will make this 3D render ('super settings') appear to be a 2D work. Don't ask me why; I just decided I like it.
    The tree'leaves' have both reflection and transparency, which changes the way they look in relation to where they are.

I would appreciate some feedback, of course.

Anyway, it is my first entry and it is called 'Trees are precious'.

Hope all of you keep coming with those wonderful renders!

precioustrees.jpg
    695 x 695 - 404K
    edited December 1969

@Hansmar... I quite like your image... It immediately reminded me of a cartoon book I had as a child... I haven't thought of it in years...
    I loved that book.
    Thanks for tapping into my memories.
    Steve

Henry_in_Lollipop_Land.jpg
    260 x 328 - 31K
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    Hi,

@Hansmar - that is very striking. It reminds me that art should not mirror reality, so much as parody reality.

edited December 1969

@Steve: You've created a scene with a very morbid atmosphere. Real nice work.

@hansmar: What an interesting, and very imaginative, scene you've created. Great choice of colors. Love the clouds.

edited December 1969

@Steve - spooky indeed, I agree with chohole.

@hansmar - I love that scene. It's out of the ordinary. Very nice colours, too.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited August 2014

I can't remember where I left it mummy.

This is definitely my last attempt at trees, and my last entry for the challenge.

Still not happy with it but it took sooooo long to get to this.

Tree_Bike.jpg
    700 x 900 - 828K
    Post edited by StuartB on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987
    edited December 1969

Lovely interesting entries by everyone.

Hansmar the 2D look to a 3D render is different and interesting. Love your choice of colors.

edited December 1969

@Stuart: As usual, a very nice image. Looks as though it's been raining.

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - that's a very nice tree (and nice story, too). Don't stop now with trees, you've got the hang of them in no time. "... definitely my last attempt at trees ..." what a sad remark. Keep it up, I say.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much GussNemo and Horo.

edited December 1969

@mtnmen. Thanks for this comparison. I did realise it looked like a childrens book illustration. Don't know that particular book (but then, I don't really know any English children's books). Somehow, I tend to be 'accused' (pun intended) of creating children book's renders more often. I guess I should change carreers!

@CTippetts. Thanks! Not sure whether art should necessarily parody reality. But indeed, I do agree that reality of realistic look are not per se necessary or help to create art. It is allo about vision and choices, emotions and stories, I think.

@GussNemo, Horo, mermaid010: Thanks very much. Glad you like my approach. I tried to approach it like the amateur painter that I also am. I hope that was visible.

@StuartB4: Don't stop with trees! You're really doing a good job. And I like the fact that there is a story behind your render. Maybe you should also try a tool like Ngplant. I played for it for a couple of hours and already see nice trees in the making (do follow one or two tutorials first, because without you will probably take a long time to find out how it works). Ngplant is versatile and free. I hope to show an Ngplant tree in this challenge next week.

edited December 1969

@Hansmar... Since you got me thinking about Henry In Lollypop Land, I am recalling (over 50 years ago) some of that cartoon book... and it might have been my introduction to surreal thinking and imagery... As he was walking in a forest, I think, the trees started morphing into various flavors of lollypops... I remember being especially fond of the Lime Lollypop tree.. for some reason... Your image so struck my memories... of the trees transforming from one reality into another... Really fun image.
    Steve

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Everyone has some really beautiful renders....I am almost late as usual...final render......The Forrest.......Trish

The_Forrest.jpg
    1754 x 1169 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@bullit35744... "The Forest" is lovely... A beautiful render with lots of earthy textures... You can almost smell the forest floor...
    Steve

edited December 1969

@Trish - looking great.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes another great addition to the great images we are getting.

Keep the renders coming still some days to go.

As my son always says when he sees my renders "Need more trees" :coolsmile:

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Thank you Steve,Horo and Pam I am working on one more maybe I will finish it.....with luck

edited December 1969

@Trish: That image looks even better enlarged. It then has a really fine water color painting feel to it, and appears to be an extremely old forest. It's a nice piece of art.

edited August 2014

@Trish: Wonderful! Great treetrunks and ivy.

I played around for about 3 hours with ngplant (http://ngplant.sourceforge.net/) and created a number of trees (the three big ones in the scene). Played a bit with leaf textures (partly translucent) for an hour or so. Then played with part of an older render, took out almost everything and added trees, some backgroundmaterial from JAC and Jessi and James from Poser.
    Then the issue of light, point of view, etc. And rendering for around 16 hours.... Decided that it was not yet good enough, so changed settings (point of view, atmosphere) and rerendered.

I am not fully happy, but for the amount of time I spent on the scene: not too bad.

Submission name: Relaxing in the shadow of the tree.

treecontest2.jpg
    695 x 695 - 628K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: That looks nice.

edited December 1969

@hansmar - very nice trees. I've tried ngPlants when Rashad had mentioned it - and run straight back to Arbaro.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo: Thanks

@Horo: I tried Arbaro too, but find that I get results faster with ngplant. It is quite versatile and not too difficult, once you get the hang of it.

edited August 2014

@hansmar ... I agree ...nice looking trees... I again tried playing with ngplant... I don't get how to get it... and I don't have Arbaro to run to... Perhaps you might find time to do a short intro to Ngplant tutorial... for us who just don't get it... Just a thought.
    Steve

Post edited by mtnmen on
    edited December 1969

@Steve: You're not alone, I could also use directions.