Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I am flowing this in some, shall I say, premature anticipation. I see a really nice render on the first post, that has my hopes up, along with some others later on in the thread.

On the topic of 'Non Mammal' fluffy stuff, lol.
    There is so much that has been discovered in the past few years, including the most exciting bit for CG, color. browns, blues, reds, etc. So my thought is finding some way to make some of the 3d figures in my slowly-growing collection, reflect the actual colors in the fossils, as best I can. At least from Sinosauropteryx, threw Archaeopteryx, to name two possibilities.
    http://www.amnh.org/science/specials/dinobird.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx
    (you need not understand the text, it's the pictures I'm referring to, in the above links)

I'm not thinking that LAMH can recreate the flight feathers (especially considering there already on the 3d figure), the down, or primitive-strands is something I would like to try.

This may be a little to ambitious for someone that is still coming to grips with the basic surface tab settings in Daz Studio.

Can this LAMH at least somehow create the cool side-burns on the bottom of the chin, I've seen on some documentaries?
    (Dinosaur Revolution Episode 3, opening skit.)

In the almost 2 years that LAMH has been available it has been extensively used for dinosaur renders. Using the instancing feature you can attach any type of prop to your objects, be they feathers, leaves, tentacles, flowers, moss, whatever.

Take a quick trip to www.furrythings.com to see many examples of LAMH in use for dinosaurs and other things. LAMH is the most flexible system that exists for adding distributed items to models in any environment. And it is growing features all of the time.

All LAMH customers are allowed to join hte All Customers Beta Program to get early access to new features.

Kendall

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

I am flowing this in some, shall I say, premature anticipation. I see a really nice render on the first post, that has my hopes up, along with some others later on in the thread.

On the topic of 'Non Mammal' fluffy stuff, lol.
    There is so much that has been discovered in the past few years, including the most exciting bit for CG, color. browns, blues, reds, etc. So my thought is finding some way to make some of the 3d figures in my slowly-growing collection, reflect the actual colors in the fossils, as best I can. At least from Sinosauropteryx, threw Archaeopteryx, to name two possibilities.
    http://www.amnh.org/science/specials/dinobird.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx
    (you need not understand the text, it's the pictures I'm referring to, in the above links)

I'm not thinking that LAMH can recreate the flight feathers (especially considering there already on the 3d figure), the down, or primitive-strands is something I would like to try.

This may be a little to ambitious for someone that is still coming to grips with the basic surface tab settings in Daz Studio.

Can this LAMH at least somehow create the cool side-burns on the bottom of the chin, I've seen on some documentaries?
    (Dinosaur Revolution Episode 3, opening skit.)

Hello, as also Kendall said there are a number of paleoartists that use LAMH for their creations, such as for example lmx3d and mnartist.
    Here below the gallery links:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=lmx3d
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=mnartist

The examples produced by these to guys (I attached some of their renders too), are exported as LAMH FiberHair and used in Vue or Cinema4D; but of course, since FiberHair produce a textured .OBJ (and that's cool because you can even retain color information), you may render the furred model in any 3D application, being .OBJ the most common exchange format.

As from recent studies indicate, protofeathers were very common on most dinosaur species, and so it's very easy to produce such feathers which look basically like hairs, having a pronounced rachis and minimal barb and antfeather parts.
    Should you really need to use a bird-like feather, you could still use LAMH to replace hair on a specific shave group with one or more feather props, being instanced and mixed.
    So the possibilities offered are vast.
    If you have more questions or need clarifications I'll be happy to comply.

mn1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 454K
    lmx1.jpg
    1200 x 1350 - 162K
    lmx2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 487K
    lmx3.jpg
    1400 x 788 - 407K
    lmx4.jpg
    1400 x 788 - 420K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Has anyone done good look feathers yet as I keep watching but haven't seen any. That is one thing that will tempt me to leave Garibaldi and go with LAMH.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Has anyone done good look feathers yet as I keep watching but haven't seen any. That is one thing that will tempt me to leave Garibaldi and go with LAMH.

Upcoming versions of LAMH will include *native* feathers as well as other things. As for "good look" feathers right now, that is a matter of finding a "good look" feather prop to use as an instance.

Kendall

edited December 1969

LOL OK Good looking (hey I had a bad night) Well that is good news thanks Kendal.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL OK Good looking (hey I had a bad night) Well that is good news thanks Kendal.

Seriously, if you can provide me with a feather that you consider good looking, then I'll create an example for you.

Feathers are a very subjective thing, and what looks "good" to one person looks like crap to another.

Kendall

edited August 2014

Yeah no problem I am not talking down as Garibaldi can do that no problem. This is what I am referring to.

I know Ken (songbird) has been working with Alessandro on making feathers so I was expecting something to come from it. :)

feathersSingle.png
    294 x 172 - 44K
    feathers.png
    275 x 183 - 88K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yeah no problem I am not talking down as Garibaldi can do that no problem. This is what I am referring to.

I know Ken (songbird) has been working with Alessandro on making feathers so I was expecting something to come from it. :)

I was vague. What I meant was that if you can provide a feather object that you find acceptable, then I'll create the image.

For obvious reasons, I cannot expose exactly what LAMH is going to do in the next versions. Suffice it to say that the number of LAMH supporting PA's is climbing and the extent of the upcoming projects is going to astound.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Ok that best thing for me to do is wait for the next realise and go from there. I don't have a feather object I was looking to do feathers (as per those pics) on Ken Birds.

This is what I got using Garibaldi http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/25058/ just for the body (downy) but I would have loved to do the wings too.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Great image, Pete.

Kendall:

If I model an OBJ mesh feather prop, I can attach it as instances to create wings. Can multiple instances of different feather props (different sizes/shapes) be used at the same time on a base wing?

Can Normals or Displacement maps be used on the feather props, or do the props need to be detail modeled meshes?

Lastly, should one even bother to build such props as you guys are going to include it in the next version release?

You would probably release the new version before I was able to get around to modeling it anyways...

edited December 1969

Look at my Hair is actually misnamed. LAMH is more a powerful distributed population system than a simple hair/fur plugin.

DaremoK3 said:

Kendall:

If I model an OBJ mesh feather prop, I can attach it as instances to create wings. Can multiple instances of different feather props (different sizes/shapes) be used at the same time on a base wing?

Yes. LAMH can put multiple items in the same area using a number of methods. In fact, LAMH can even be used to populate a landscape/crowd scene similar to "Send in the Clones" either using randomly allocated LAMH lists, or more purposefully laid out methods. I have personally populated a skydome figure's landscape with trees and grasses using LAMH.

DaremoK3 said:

Can Normals or Displacement maps be used on the feather props, or do the props need to be detail modeled meshes?

As long as it is a prop that DS can render, you can use it. At some point in the future, LAMH will allow populating Figures as well as props (but not as instances, that's a DS limitation).

Lastly, should one even bother to build such props as you guys are going to include it in the next version release?

You would probably release the new version before I was able to get around to modeling it anyways...

That is up to you. We are actively coding on LAMH, as in every day. However, these things take time.

Kendall

flower_ball.jpeg
    799 x 780 - 772K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 thank you

Kendall yeah that is another draw for getting LAMH

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Feathers are a very subjective thing, and what looks "good" to one person looks like crap to another.

Something else to keep in mind; what looks good as a single feather might not look as good instanced all over a critter, and vice versa. The pics on this page do look really good, though.
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much Alessandro_AM, those renders are spectacular. And thanks for a direction to start looking into.

I just upgraded my CPU, and am now having difficulties with Amazon Unbox DRM and my Jurassic CSI episodes, Naghhhh! lol.
    That's besides the point. Much to ketch up on here as I see many more posts by others.

Cool pics of the feathers there, My doubts was replacing existing figure polygons with LAMH replacement feathers. The down covering elsewhere seams more feasible.

Replacing the flight feathers of ArcheopteryxDR is probably a No-Go, Giving the little fella different colored covering elsewhere seams like an easier task.

Putting Chin-sideburns (simple strand feathers) on UtahraptorDR also seams feasible.
    http://www.daz3d.com/utahraptordr

Utahraptor_DinosaurRevolution001_Small1.jpg
    640 x 359 - 63K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Seriously, if you can provide me with a feather that you consider good looking, then I'll create an example for you.

Kendall I'll just give a direct link to a post in my thread, with a really outstanding picture of my intentions for color and feathers.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/646099/
    Credit goes to BBC, and the cool series “Planet Dinosaur.
    Microraptor & Sinornithosaurus.

I want to get them into Daz Studio, eventually. It would be really nice for a beginner to not have to become a PA overnight to achieve this (Way beyond my skills), lol.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,880
    edited December 1969

Is there a list somewhere of what products in the DAZ store have LAMH presets included? Perhaps also a list of freebies, other than on furrythings :)

edited December 1969

Is there a list somewhere of what products in the DAZ store have LAMH presets included? Perhaps also a list of freebies, other than on furrythings :)

hello, I think that this should be a pretty updated list of it: http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lamh

• arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited October 2014

Getting some errors since this update:

These messages come up as 3 popup windows when I start Daz Studio:

checkAuth: Couldn't open configuration file

writeAuth: Couldn't open configuration file for writing.

A critical error has occurred: Cannot access the cfg file after writeAuth.

I've confirmed its the LAMH free player in that when I uninstall the player, the error goes away.

OSX 10.9.5 64-bit.
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Macbook Pro.

Post edited by arcady on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

The DIM has a new update. Is there any information about what changed? The readme hasn't been updated.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    The DIM has a new update. Is there any information about what changed? The readme hasn't been updated.

It has now:

2014-10-01 - 1.5.12.0
    faster transform updates
    multipreset addon (you can now merge several presets on the same model)
    faster render times
    autofit compliance
    fixed some stability issues and a lot more

edited December 1969

arcady said:

I've confirmed its the LAMH free player in that when I uninstall the player, the error goes away.

OSX 10.9.5 64-bit.

I think the issue is that you probably have both products installed at the same time, while it should be that or you have the Player, or the Full version installed. The DAZ DIM should take care of that now, i.e. allow only one of those at a time.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro,

Has there been an update to LAMH full or is it only the free player that has been Updated.??

Cheers,

S.K.

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro,

Has there been an update to LAMH full or is it only the free player that has been Updated.??

Cheers,

S.K.

Only the Player now, but the full version is coming very soon as well, with several fixes and some new features.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro,

Cheers,

S.K.

Only the Player now, but the full version is coming very soon as well, with several fixes and some new features.

Excellent.!!! :)

S.K.

edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro,

Cheers,

S.K.

The DIM shows an update for both.

Capture.PNG
    341 x 303 - 14K
  • arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

arcady said:

OSX 10.9.5 64-bit.

I think the issue is that you probably have both products installed at the same time, while it should be that or you have the Player, or the Full version installed. The DAZ DIM should take care of that now, i.e. allow only one of those at a time.

I don't own the full version. I've only got the player installed.

The problem persists after multiple uninstalls / installs. Since the update anytime I install the player - the error occurs on launch of Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Hi Alessandro,

Cheers,

S.K.

It's probably the full version package being 'refreshed', but I assure you the full version is still at 1.5.01.

edited December 1969

arcady said:
    arcady said:

OSX 10.9.5 64-bit.

The problem persists after multiple uninstalls / installs. Since the update anytime I install the player - the error occurs on launch of Daz Studio.

Please email your DS and LAMH log files at "[email protected]" and I'll see what's wrong... thanks

edited December 1969

arcady said:
    arcady said:

OSX 10.9.5 64-bit.

Ok, I think to know what happens: the Player creates, if it's not there already, a folder named lookatmyhairAM in your /Users/[username]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/ path.
    On our OSX test systems it works fine: the checkout warning pops up, but then the player starts and next times that you run it there are no warnings anymore (because the missing folder is created automatically the first time that it runs).

On your system, it seems that the folder can't be created or written, for some reasons. If you contact me via email, we can sort this out easily.
    Cheers.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Hi Alessandro,

Cheers,

S.K.

It's probably the full version package being 'refreshed', but I assure you the full version is still at 1.5.01.
    OK, then that explains why the player readme was updated but the full version readme wasn't. Now that this full version "update" shows in my DIM, I wonder how I will know when the real update occurs?