NightClub Row

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
edited August 2014 in Carrara Discussion

PLEASE NOTE.

This is just a temp lighting rig. I am waiting for the OCTANE plug in to come out before doing a proper job on this. I thought you might like to see a crowded people scene.

Most of the work here came from Episode 8, (2 years work). This scene took 3 days with the bulk of the effort going into making the shops. Also the nightclub at the end of the row (deliberately hid for now) took about a day on top of that.

Those people clothed with colours only. That's the only way you'll get a large scene like this to place nice in the editor (to save on the shader loading and editor time) IMHO.

Full scene pic shown first, then my fav pic.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2014

I absolutely love your scenes for your movie...your endless patience and attention to detail is amazing!

Have to admit...I thought "Nightclub Row" was going to be a row... a punch-up with bodies everywhere and lots of litter, broken bottles and vomit. Council must have come along and tidied it all up already.... JUST KIDDING! It's really cool! Thanks for sharing more of your meticulous work.

xx :) SIlene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    I absolutely love your scenes for your movie...your endless patience and attention to detail is amazing!

Have to admit...I thought "Nightclub Row" was going to be a row... a punch-up with bodies everywhere and lots of litter, broken bottles and vomit. Council must have come along and tidied it all up already.... JUST KIDDING! It's really cool! Thanks for sharing more of your meticulous work.

xx :) SIlene

Many thanks Silene.

Don't give up on that "toubled" vision of the night scene. I promise action when I get to animate it!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

SIlene

Yeah... I feel the same!
    Well said, Silene!
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dartan. I'm going for the Iconic Indoor Sci Fi Shopping area next.

Now that's one I've been looking forward to share for ages. :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Awesome as always

• WizzardWizzard Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Very well done Scifi, The clusters of people add a bit to the scene. Can hardley wait for the full render mate 8 )
    Cheers

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I always love the layout, production values and lighting in your scenes, SciFiFunk. But I wonder: what are all those people doing in the middle of the street? Just hanging out? Maybe plotting the next revolution?

edited December 1969

Thanks guys.

Re: what are the people doing. They are hanging out. Cars left that area long ago.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Very cool and nicely populated!

edited December 1969

Many thanks Phil :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Looks a bit like Oxford's Cowley Road on a Friday night... (but fewer police cars!) ;)

I never cease to be amazed with your scenes. 3 days to make the shops - that'd take me a month!!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dartan. I'm going for the Iconic Indoor Sci Fi Shopping area next.

Now that's one I've been looking forward to share for ages. :)

Cool! :ahhh:
    Can't wait!

Yeah, I really like your work, Steve. Always have. From your episodes to the tutorials on how you've pulled them out of your hat!

Speaking of episodes, if any of you have not checked out Steve's Sci Fi Funk animated episodes, I strongly suggest watching through them all from start to finish, even if it takes several visits to get it done. Quite fun! I always find myself wanting to see the next one. So Steve... just keep making these things... at least for the rest of MY life, anyways!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Very impressive work, the render is really impressive, but getting all those people in the scene ..... awesome. Can't wait to see what you do once you get your hands on Octane 2!

edited August 2014

Tim_A said:
    Looks a bit like Oxford's Cowley Road on a Friday night... (but fewer police cars!) ;)

I never cease to be amazed with your scenes. 3 days to make the shops - that'd take me a month!!!

re: Cowley Road. ha ha. Yes. Actually the groups of gangs is based on my real life visit to Dagenham in London, that is literally what the high street (I think it's called the Heathway) looks like (in terms of people), except they are not standing in the road due to the volume of traffic.

re: 3 days, that's 8 hour days full time plus I built it / extended it from the episode 8 set - which took 2 years (ahem).

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited December 1969

So Steve... just keep making these things... at least for the rest of MY life, anyways!

I am on a set building blitz right now. Next year I plan to release a lot of episodes and try my luck on kickstarter or other crowd funding ideas, it's building up to be an exciting year.

DUSTRIDER = re: Octane 2 - (singing) "Why are we waiting, why-y are we waiting" - he he.

I'm building the sets now so that I can just get into playing with Octane when it arrives. Been learning a lot about it via DAZ but the whole thing is so crashy it's been driving me mad. Hence another reason to go back to the set building.

edited December 1969

Have you considered releasing some of the sets as products?

I have a feeling it won't be too long to wait now...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Yeah... that's a great idea! Interesting sets are always in demand.

Just curious, what is your CPU setup... must be powerful or do you have several going at once?

xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I can't really, it's a mixture of kit bashing plus my own models.

In the future I could just start from scratch and build some similar ones with my own textures. I'm not sure how it all works selling wise.

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

Just curious, what is your CPU setup... must be powerful or do you have several going at once?

xx :) Silene

It's just a bog standard i7 machine, with 8GB of memory. I've spent out on the power supply (850W) and the graphics cards (about £750 combined), but they are not used by carrara.

The "secret" if you like is to kit bash and remove anything not seen. Most of the commercial models (which are wonderful and I'm grateful for them - even if my bank bal has suffered), are not built for combining into big scenes - so you have to strip bits out.

Then I made my own figures which I describe in detail in my tutorials - that's a life saver for those large populated scenes.

edited December 1969

I don't think I've shared this image with you all.

The level 21 lobby.

lobby_large_comp_00000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Awesome work sir, you're a great inspiration.

edited December 1969

Awesome work sir, you're a great inspiration.

Many thanks DADA. Working on the "Entertainment Complex" now.

edited December 1969

Man, that looks crowded! I noticed some duplication of figures, and can recommend Sparrowhawke's Instance Randomizer (free!) to add different colors to items of clothing to help avoid any obvious duplication. Set up a gradient of potential colors and then use the Randomizer to pick a color from that range, different for each instance.

Octane has recently introduced a similar feature in its shader set, so you will be able to use this approach when you move to Octane too!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Octane has recently introduced a similar feature in its shader set, so you will be able to use this approach when you move to Octane too!

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, will do.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, will do.

It is called Random Color in Octane - but you can apply it to any channel, not just the diffuse color. It works in a very similar way to Sparrowhawke's Instance Randomizer in its "Value" mode. If you want something like the Boolean mode in Sparrowhawke's plugin, you can do this using "Random Color" to pick from a gradient which is divided into pure black and pure white regions, so the result is "On" or "Off", useful for applying to the Opacity channel to turn objects (or parts of objects) on or off randomly for each instance. So for example, if you had a figure with a hat, you could set it up so that some instances had the hat, and on some it was invisible, and where it is visible, have it in different colors on each instance. It all helps avoid any obvious repetition.

edited December 1969

PhilW - many thanks - I've screen printed that so I don't forget it when the time comes.