Carrara Academy for Light of Heaven

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Jacob, are you only running 1 version, the new 8.5? I've got (I think) 8.1, 2 or 3 8.5 betas, and the new 8.5. I only want the new 8.5.

Then I'll start asking you where do i put this and this and this and that.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Yes, I'm only running C8.5. I recommend uninstallingf the betas and deletingf their vcrap. Start fresh.

edited December 1969

Thassa whut I wanna do, Jako.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    New strategy.

I give up.

I'm going to delete everything Carrara from my computer. When it's clean, I'll try downloading and installing Carrara again, no betas allowed. This time I will not let Carrara detect runtimes.

How are you going about doing this? Are you using DIM?
    Everything else aside, I prefer DIM when it comes to anything Genesis related stuff, because the DIM can uninstall prior to reinstalling - which some Genesis fixes require - without getting the dreaded I/O Error messages.

My DAZ 3D Install Manager 101 Video Tutorial is a screen capture of myself reinstalling everything via DIM - and might have something useful for you.

If you're not using DIM, or have any other questions about anything - anything... Anne... we're here to help. I haven't been here much lately - but I'll try and chek back here for any questions you might have, and LightofHeaven appears to be on call as well... we need to get you Carraraizing ASAP!!!

Okay, I think I'm rid of Carrara 7 now. Gonna get a cup of coffee and watch your video.

edited December 1969

Do a Disk Cleanup to clear your recycle binhh. just in case.

edited December 1969

Dart, your enthusiasm in the video gave me the giggles. It was very enjoyable to watch and I learned a couple of new things. DIM is the greatest and I really don't understand any reluctance to use it.

Jacob, I will be doing a disk clean and defrag before reinstalling. Thanks for the reminder.

edited December 1969

Let us know when your homework is done. :P

edited December 1969

Is there a way to "unlock" a model in C8.5 so you can edit parts?

edited December 1969

I wish I could help you, Jako, but I don't even know what you are talking about. I got sidetracked after deleting Carrara and never have reinstalled it. One of these days I will.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to "unlock" a model in C8.5 so you can edit parts?

The easiest way is to use Fenric's Posing Pack 3 which has an Unlock Figure command:
    http://www.daz3d.com/posing-pack-3

edited December 1969

Wait, does that work in C8.5 Pro? Last time I installed a C8 plugin in 8.5 it didn't work.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I have several of his plug-ins installed and they work fine. Go to his site and make sure you have the latest version. As I understand, V 8 plug-ins work on 8.0, 8.1, and 8.5.

ncamp

edited December 1969

So...I'm wondering about animating lightning flashes...

I imagine f would need to use the Noise tweener to make a light flash t random intervailsc and use the Osculate tweener to gmake it repeat? But it looks liuke i can only do one tweener.

ideas?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

So...I'm wondering about animating lightning flashes...

I imagine f would need to use the Noise tweener to make a light flash t random intervailsc and use the Osculate tweener to gmake it repeat? But it looks liuke i can only do one tweener.

ideas?

Not really. You would use the oscillate tweener for a regularly flashing light, such as on a radio tower or the running lights on a plane. The noise tweener would flash the light at irregular intervals. You can set it to use a linear, cubic or No Interval option as illustrated by my screen shots.

The T-scale refers to time scale. Use the slider to adjust the frequency of the "noise". Play around with the other settings to see what it does to the graph.

Picture_4.png
    253 x 439 - 19K
    Picture_3.png
    251 x 406 - 19K
    Picture_2.png
    241 x 348 - 18K
    Picture_1.png
    253 x 478 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Would Strobe work too?
    http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=12

I haven't seen it used tro get a better idea of wht it can do.

edited December 1969

Would Strobe work too?
    http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=12

I haven't seen it used tro get a better idea of wht it can do.

I don't know strobe. My question is, are you trying for random flashes of lightning or regular flashes of light? Strobe to me implies a regular and rapid off and on cycle. This is not the effect of lightning light. In nature, many times lightning will pulse a few times along the path to the ground. This is not particularly visible to the human except as a slight flicker which is usually not visible due to the glare for nearby bolts, but may be visible in more distant bolts.

If you're trying to mimic a high speed camera that records at many hundreds or thousands of frames a second, then a strobe or oscillating tweener may be what the Dr. ordered. If you're trying to mimic what the human eye or a normal video camera would capture, then the noise tweener would be better. If it's only supposed to flash a couple times, then it may be just as easy to hand keyframe the off and on yourself or use the discreet tweener.

edited August 2014

I don't happen to have a lightning test, but I did use bulb lights with noise tweeners in these videos to create a flickering firelight. The one with the torch also uses an animated light gel as an experiment. The tweeners were very easy to set up. At the beginning of the timeline I set the brightness to 100% for the light, and at the end of the timeline I set it at something like 40% or 50% brightness. Then I just changed the tweener to Noise and set the time scale and selected Cubic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3txufuzLc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVypgQorn6M

These two videos are examples of the repeating effect you would get with the Oscillate tweener. The first one is a helicopter with a red running light flashing on the back of the helicopter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqkRvyKYDgo

The next one is an old RKO inspired production tag with flashing bolts signifying radio waves or something. In this case I used the oscillate tweener to toggle the bolts' visibility on and off. Like the Noise tweener it is super easy to use. The beginning of the timeline I have the bolts visible. At the end, they're invisible. The oscillating tweener turns them off and on for me based on how many cycle I set. The chopper's light was set up the same way, except I animated the glow channel in the shader.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qgGcraH8s

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll mess with the noise tweener then. Randm is what I want.

edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll mess with the noise tweener then. Randm is what I want.

I think you'll be happier with it.

edited December 1969

Yeah, if I can figure out the lighting

edited December 1969

What is supposed to be lit? Clouds? A flash of light through a window?

edited December 1969

Right now, an indoor scene with a storm going on outside. So yeah, flashes through windows.

I wouldn't mind learning for outdoors too.

edited December 1969

My suggestion would be a distant light pointing in through the window. You may also want a faint and hazy cloud outside so that there is an "atmosphere" for the light to reflect on, which would give a sense of depth.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a long render, so I can't really test any settings right now. Plus it's close to my bedtime. It's too late for beauty sleep, but I can at least keep my eyes from getting redder and more evil. ;-)

edited December 1969

Uuuuummmm...I think I'm doing something wrong.

I have the light on at the start and off at the end with the noise tweener set. Watching my test scene render, it doesn't seem to be working. It stays oon and turgns off only t the end.

edited December 1969

Can you post a screen shot?

edited December 1969

Yes i can

snip1.JPG
    1920 x 1040 - 227K
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm....

I just did an experiment with the noise tweener. I set up a distant light that was at 0% brightness at the beginning and 200% at the end. I used the noise tweener. I lowered the time scale and didn't like the line, so I experimented with lowering the seed value. I went to 500, and tried that. It worked, but to get the on cycle short enough, I had to really lower the time scale, and I didn't like the effect.

I have another idea, but it may have to wait a couple days.

edited December 1969

I look forward to it.

edited December 1969

Any leads, EP?

edited August 2014

Sorry. Been super busy analyzing a video that was part of an open records request (local cops allegedly roughed up an 82 year old physically and mentally handicapped man) and then today I had to replace my sister in-law's toilet. I'm super tired...

Edited to correct horrible writing. ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on