How to pimp up the basic package

Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am fairly new to DAZ Studio 4. I have downloaded the software and played around with it a bit. Now I thought to expand the possibilities slithgly. But I am a bit worried, wether the things I have in mind fit together. Maybe someone could give me an advice.

As I mentioned, I have the free DAZ Studio 4 with the genesis characters and a few clothes, which were within the package. I considered to buy the package "V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis" too expand the possibilities of changing the shape of the characters. If I would buy later further stuff like hair and clothes do I have to watch out that they fit for genesis characters or could I also buy hair and clothes for V4 and M4 characters?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Alex

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Most hair and clothes for V4 and M4 will fit on Genesis with the aid of either Autofit or the Transfer Utility. I tend to use the latter more so than the former. The only real exception is footwear, particularly V4 footwear. That doesn't always work.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, first off the V4 and M4 shapes are a good place to start with expainding your use of Genesis. I and many others can recommend other sets that can expaind the usefulness of Genesis.

Hair items work like this. If they are made for Genesis they will work on all (except a few extreme shapes) of your Genesis characters. The V4 and M4 hairs can be made to work but you will need to learn a few tricks to get the best results on Genesis.

Clothing is another item, you can use V4 and M4 and even other figures Clothing on Genesis once you have the Shapes. They sometimes work very well and sometimes they need work to get good results. Clothing made for Genesis will work as said before on almost all your Genesis characters that you make.

It all really depends on you. If you are willing to learn a little bit, V4 and M4 (and other) items can work very well with Genesis. If you would rather use items that work without extra steps then stick with Genesis only items.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

Thanks both of you a lot for your answers.

Most hair and clothes for V4 and M4 will fit on Genesis with the aid of either Autofit or the Transfer Utility. I tend to use the latter more so than the former.

Where can I get this utilities? Are they coming with DAZ Studio 4?

Alex

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, they are built into DS4. You have them, you just need to learn how they work.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131
    edited August 2012

I would recommend the Genesis head and body morphs packages (or bundle) over the M4 and V4 shapes for Genesis, if you have a limited budget. I have both, but I think the head and body morphs are more useful to me.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-body-morphs/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-head-morphs/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-morph-bundle/
    (Edited to add store links.)

Post edited by barbult on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I agree with barbult. And if you can afford the Evolutions bundle, for two to three bucks more you can get the Genesis Starter Bundle, which has the Evolutions morphs plus hair, clothing, and a troll: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-starter-bundle/

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131
    edited December 1969

I agree with barbult. And if you can afford the Evolutions bundle, for two to three bucks more you can get the Genesis Starter Bundle, which has the Evolutions morphs plus hair, clothing, and a troll: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-starter-bundle/

Oh yes, Scott is right. That is how I got my Evolution morphs - in the Genesis Starter Bundle. I'd forgotten. It is very much worth the extra few dollars for all the additional useful content. - especially if you are new to DAZ and don't have a big library of clothes and hair.
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Definitely agree with the others, Evolution Morphs is probably the most essential item to expand on Genesis.

Autofit will make Gen 4 clothes fit by default, there are add-on figure packs that will allow it to work for Gen 3 clothes.

You do need to check which figure an item is intended for, see the Additional Information tab on the item's page. Genesis is obvious enough, but any other figure should have a number, the generation, following it. 5th Generation is the same as Genesis, 4th Generation clothing and hair can work via Autofit, 4th Generation character textures can be used, 4th Generation character shapes can be transferred to Genesis using the separate tool Generation X. Generation 3 you can ignore for now - Autofit and Generation X can be made to work for Generation 3, but you need the add-on figure shapes packs. There are a handful of Gen 1 and 2 items still available, they can be ignored..