Genesis Supersuit

BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Supersuit for Genesis has been released. There is a thread in the Commons with some initial images and videos. It looks very cool! Has anyone tried the Supersuit in the Carrara 8.5 beta. I'm assuming that I'd have to manually build textures for it like I do with Genesis right now. It sort of defeats the purpose of having all the material presets, but it's still workable. Just thought I'd check before buying.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited May 2012

nah, no smart content in C8.5, I was even having issues in DS4.5!!!
    but it exported to iClone from DS ok as a non-standard character which is what I got it for!
    not likely to use it in Carrara except as a bodysuit
    under products you get the different opacity and bump settings
    (btw in this image I just used different proceedural shaders to show the different bits, don't worry, it does not load like this, all those domains have morphs in parameters so suit alone still a handy item but for Carrara don't bother with the bundle)

Untitled.jpg
    800 x 447 - 102K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

and I discovered why, DS4 32 bit no longer finds Genesis after installing DS4.5 64 bit!!!!
    so will get back to you on it when I sort it out!

edited December 1969

I now get the visibility and seams options selecting it since reimporting all my metadata in studio but not the shaders as you guessed.
    my studio still not right though,
    DS4.5 seems to have messed it up for DS4 and I need the 32bit for lipsync and as it turns out the older version for GenX
    was thinking of reinstalling the previous build again for 64bit too except this one has .duf format which is supposed to work with Carrara8.5 beta but I cannot get saved presets to work or rather even be seen!
    also disapointed that the supersuit presets mostly need shadermixer and studio lighting to work so export to iClone not so great which is the main reason I got it, basically have to redo textures there too though some come over which is still better than in Carrara.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy. Just as I suspected. I think I'll buy the base suit so I can mess around with it and wait until they get everything working before I buy any of the add-ons.

edited December 1969

there is this by 3dage on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXx5_Y44a4
    dunno what shaders he used though?
    the suit itself is pretty cool how the seams morph into the body to create seperate clothing items, that at least works in Carrara.
    so the suit alone is worth it,
    someone needs to do some Carrara shader presets for it!!!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

There are an enormous number of shader areas - it will take a while to set up a particular shader scheme.

edited December 1969

and 3Dage used the Epsilon outfit for his video, he said too, manually changing all the shading domains in the suit a nightmare.
    but I am going to try stuff using proceedurals!
    if it turns out I might even stick it on Carraracafe as a freebie universal shader!
    knowing me, it may not suit all tastes!

edited December 1969

interesting fact
    you cannot drag shaders onto the suit if it is fitted to Genesis!

edited December 1969

I bought the Supersuit and found the same thing as Wendy. It loads and the morphs are available, but none of the presets. Phil nailed it. Trying to build materials with the huge number of shading domains is onerous. It needs presets. At least for starting points.

So I tried it in DazStudio4 hoping that I could apply material presets and then export them to Carrara. The presets don't show up in Studio. Now I have to debug Studio, Argh! I'm using Studio 4.0.3.47. I think that's the most recent release version. Does the Supersuit require 4.5? Maybe I should start looking through the Studio Forums.

edited December 1969

Daz studio render of Paladin
    exported obj, savred top shader (multiple shading domains) to browser
    coppied top shader to Supersuit in Carrara on left obj on right
    not quite correct but maybe with work?

Doc4.png
    800 x 450 - 146K
    in_DS.png
    800 x 800 - 289K
    edited December 1969

consolidating shaders and dragging obj to suit body parts works better

Doc5.png
    800 x 450 - 112K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited May 2012

I bought the Supersuit and found the same thing as Wendy. It loads and the morphs are available, but none of the presets. Phil nailed it. Trying to build materials with the huge number of shading domains is onerous. It needs presets. At least for starting points.

So I tried it in DazStudio4 hoping that I could apply material presets and then export them to Carrara. The presets don't show up in Studio. Now I have to debug Studio, Argh! I'm using Studio 4.0.3.47. I think that's the most recent release version. Does the Supersuit require 4.5? Maybe I should start looking through the Studio Forums.

use DS 4.5 - save as .DUF - should load in C8

edit to add -
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601/

Post edited by bigh on
    edited December 1969

Wendy,

It looks like you're making progress, but it's a lot of work. I think I'm going to try Studio 4.5 like Bigh suggested. I let you know how it turns out.

edited December 1969

I did save a .duf before I unistalled DS4.5 64bit becuse it did not play nice with the DS4 32bit I need for my plugins.
    the shaping imports but not the textures.

I did some silly things browsing for the texture maps and using my own rather dumb shaping!
    overdid the displacement too!
    (Carrara displacement needs a multi channel or layered shader using an operator function to mimic Daz studio Max and Min channels and overall values displacement but I just stuck in the texture map and enabled subdivision so kinda OTT!)
    then there's the riddiculous glow I added on the seams!

palentino.gif
    347 x 500 - 5M
    edited December 1969

That looks very cool Wendy. I'm still having a lot of problems with the Suoersuit, even in DS4.5. I can't get any of the textures or presets to load. I may have to reload everything.

OK. I don't use DS very often. How do I export a DUF file? It doesn't seem like there is a specific menu item for it. I'm assuming it's hidden under a different name.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Wendy :)

Saving the textures as a DS4 Material pre-set (DUF) format from DS4.5 will import into the Carrara 8.5 beta,. but... there seems to be an issue here,.. on my system it instantly says "loading .... 100%" and it sits there doing nothing,.. (but task manager says that Carrara is still working) ...it takes 25 min's (on my system) to then change to Loading... 50% (from 100%) then, after a about 30 min's It'll actually finish loading the textures / shaders onto the Super-suit. :)
    Loading in the Shaping pre-set as "Duf" format, takes only a couple of seconds
    Loading other DUF Material pre-sets, like Genesis skin textures happen pretty quickly, so, as far as I can see, it's an issue with the Supersuit materials.
    Loading a saved DS4 Scene with Genesis, the Super suit, and shape and textures, takes only a couple of minutes,. but,. as far as I can see, the shaders are set up wrong on the suit,. (100% reflection) and with the amount of different shaders on the Supersuit it's probably going to take longer to adjust those manually, than it would to load in the Material preset, and have a coffee break while it's doing that.
    Once you have the shader loaded,. you can save it as a Carrara "Global" shader to your browser,. then it's an easy load from there into any other scene.

edited December 1969

I did save as character preset and a scene and it appeared in my Carrara browser fully dressed so no idea which worked!
    not the figure in my render btw, it was the Genesis baby in a different suit preset
    the morphs transfered over to Carrara but not the textures inc the Genesis figure.
    had already uninstalled DS4.5 when I discovered it.
    I cannot get the supersuit or the presets to load in smart content in studio.
    need to use content library Daz studio formats content, people, Genesis, wardrobe, Supersuit
    tried reseting and reimporting metadata , no luck
    but it works fine via the content library.

edited December 1969

Hi BrianP21361 :)

To create a DUF file, you'll need the latest version of Daz Studio.
    You should then be able to go to FILE / "Save As" Scene, / Material Preset, / Shape Preset,. Pose preset etc..
    All of these should be in the new DUF format.
    You can then open Carrara 8.5 (beta),. create a new Scene,. and then go to FILE / Import, and browse to your saved DUF files

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Wendy wrote :

I cannot get the supersuit or the presets to load in smart content in studio.
    need to use content library Daz studio formats content, people, Genesis, wardrobe, Supersuit

I have the same issue here,. It seems like there#s different levels of "smart" as far as content is concerned.
    :)
    edited December 1969

cross post!
    hi Andy, uninstalled DS4.5 already so too bad, DS4 works well enough to FBX to iClone as I intend doing with the SS prests
    accepted to beta test 3dx5pipeline version so interesting times ahead, will be looking at getting stuff out of iClone into Carrara and back
    so prob not spending too much time on Supersuit anyway.
    in Carrara I will prob do my own textures anyway and create new suits!
    been playing with the fun things you can do with seams etc, thinking 3D Paint and hair etc to create my own variations that can be saved as shader presets etc.
    I never really intended using the bundle presets in Carrara anyway.

edited December 1969

I Agree,. some of the features of this Suit are pretty nice, and it should be a very flexible / useful outfit.
    I got the Pro bundle just to have some Morphs / textures / shaders to play with, but I think it'll be fun making some different ones.
    It should be better / easier to work with, once they iron out some of the issues with DUF.

Andy :)

edited May 2012

3Dage,

Thanks for the help with Studio. I was able to import the Supersuit with a preset into Carrara using DUF. The results are kind of weird. Some parts of the textures come over, like color. Texture maps and bump maps are gone. The good news is that even though there are a ton of shading domains, many of them share a shader. It shouldn't be too hard to edit them to get something that looks decent.Any other tips?

The first image is from Studio. The second from Carrara.

Image removed by a moderator till resized...please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/510_98/

Carrara.png
    750 x 640 - 53K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

I've been doing more with the Supersuit inside Carrara. This one was built from scratch in Carrara. It took a few hours to get all the textures in the right places. Finding all the seems was very difficult and time consuming. The first image looks good. Then I tried to pose the figure. The second image shows Genesis posing, but not the Supersuit. Is this a problem with Genesis or the Supersuit. I tried the "fit to" command before and after posing, but no luck. Next I tried a pair of jeans made for V4 and conformed it to Genesis. That posed correctly. Any ideas.

Genesis_Jeans.png
    480 x 640 - 64K
    X-man_posed.png
    640 x 640 - 104K
    X-man.png
    640 x 640 - 62K
    edited December 1969

HI BrianP21361 :)

Nice combination.

Sorry for the delayed reply .. I still expect new posts to pop up to the first page. :(

If you've fitted the suit to genesis it should follow the pose or animation,
    I've tried posing genesis and adding animation, and both work as expected.

What poses are you using ?

edited December 1969

Thanks for the response 3DAge. I tried a variety of poses, Genesis:BasicMale, Genesis:BasicFemale, M4:General poses. I tried them all after placing the Supersuit on Genesis, Genesis:Basic Male and also Genesis:Basic Female. All with the same results, the figure poses, but not the clothes. Funny thing is if I use non-Genesis clothing everything works as expected. Any ideas?

Brian