Apply visual style shaders?

edited May 2012 in New Users

How do I apply visual style shaders? Id like to apply them to genesis or H4 A4. I tried drag and drop and when I went to render it was stuck on optimizing for 2 hours. I also tried to double click, but then it said I had to select something in the scene. I selected genesis, but then the visual shaders were no longer an option.

Post edited by thatbumzzz_788e56ddf1 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192
    edited December 1969

Select the area you want to apply the shader to with the Surface selection tool. To apply a Shader preset you need to select the item, and on the item the surfaces you want to take the shader - the Surface Selection tool does both, though you can also select items as usual and then surfaces from the list in the Surfaces pane.

• edited December 1969

Select the area you want to apply the shader to with the Surface selection tool. To apply a Shader preset you need to select the item, and on the item the surfaces you want to take the shader - the Surface Selection tool does both, though you can also select items as usual and then surfaces from the list in the Surfaces pane.

Thanks Richard! A couple more Daz 4 noob questions if you dont mind and one more about the shaders.
    Do you know how they get color on the eyebrows in the promos using the visual style shaders? I bought the Anime eyes for A4 H4 here in the Daz store but it doesnt seem to apply to genesis.

As for Daz 4, if a genesis outfit isnt completely covering a part - for instance I took the default shirt, dialed in genesis woman and v5 and enlarged the breasts but there was alot of poke through on the underside, how can I fix this? I used to use auto fit in Daz 3but its not an option now. When I converted a piece of clothing to genesis from V4, it morphed fantastically but the open morphs on the buttons were no longer there, is this unavoidable?

edited December 1969

I'm not sure how the eyebrows were done - may have used something like the Geensis Eyebrow set, or it may be an image map or even props.

If there isn't a smoothing Modifier applied, or if there is but there's no Collision target set, you can set the clothing to smooth and collide with Genesis - that helps a lot in many cases. However, I have seen that when there is a smoothing modifier and the xmoothing iterations are set high - it ends up trying to smooth the breasts out of the clothing, and the collision detection can't compensate. If there's a Mesh Smoothing group in Parameters for the clothing go to it and check the Smmothing Iterations - if it's over 6 or so it may need to be lowered.

The Release Candidate for DS4.5 does preserve morphs when using Auto Fit.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

You will need to reapply the texture maps manually

• xaero76xaero76 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How come this doesnt work for me ?

I dont have a clue about this side of things and im trying to figure it out... I cant seem to find the help i need anywhere, been looking all day and all the documentation says is:-

To use a Visual Style preset that you’ve downloaded, simply select the surface you wish to apply it to, apply an official preset first (such as Visual Style Base), and then apply the preset you downloaded. The preset requires that the shader already be applied before it can be used, hence why we apply an official preset first.

it does not explain it the basics, and is confusing....

The error log says:- Failed to load script file!

This is what im trying to figure out:- http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/visual-style-shaders

im trying to use the Presets that come with it

and the PDF Document pretty much starts right off as if you know what the hell you are doing... and I have no clue what to do with the Visual Style Base that it talks about, there is nothing that tells me how to use it

edited December 1969

Did you apply the base preset first, as in the section you quoted? What version of DS are you using - if, as I suspect, the files are binary they won't work in versions of DS older than the one that created them.

edited December 1969

How do I apply the base preset ? ive tried and all I get is an Error

I use Daz 3D Pro, so if the product is out of date for the Pro version, I may have to get a refund for this

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited June 2012

DAZ Studio Pro 4.0? Make sure you have the figure selected before applying a shape.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

To find which exact version you are using go to help>About DAZ Studio and look in the top-left corner. The current version is 4.0.3.47, if you have an older version you may need to update. Check the readme for applying the base shader - the technique will be the same as for applying one of the presets, so you select the surfaces you want, apply the base preset, then apply the special effect preset you want.

edited December 1969

I am using Daz 3D 4 Pro, 4.0.3.9... using the 64Bit Pro, think that would have anything to do with it ?

tho, I thought it was the updated version, will see if i can find the updated version and try again

but otherwise I was doing what you said here to apply the base shader and base presets, but it just kept telling me there was a script error in the log file

so will hunt for the updated version and try that

edited December 1969

Yes, I'm pretty sure you need the update -asuming you bought your copy through the store, which I think must be the case for that version, you can just reset your order from your Itemised Order History.

edited December 1969

yep reset and downloaded the updates, and seems to be working now !

No errors popping up and I can see the presets loading ok, just have to play with it now and see what I can do with it now

Thank you for all the Help Richard !

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Just gonna quickly say a couple of things:

1) The quote part of the documentation about "The preset requires that the shader already be applied before it can be used, hence why we apply an official preset first." only applies to Visual Style presets downloaded separately made by other users (none currently exist). All presets included in the product itself can be used straight off the bat.

2) To use eyebrows, there are three main methods:

First of all, Hitomi comes with a pair of 3D conforming eyebrows for toon renders. These can be shaped and have their own shaders applied to them. These are the ones I commonly use.

However, if you're using SnowSultan's Anime Eye Textures on Genesis, you will need to do some manual adjustment. They were created for Aiko4, who originally had a separate Eyebrow layer which Genesis no longer has. If you're using any version of Daz Studio 4 before version 4.5, you'll need to use the Layered Image Editor to combine the eyebrows you want with the face textures you want. If you're using version 4.5, you can create a Geometry Shell and use the eyebrow presets on that (essentially emulating Aiko4's now missing Eyebrow layer).

If you're using a texture that has eyebrows painted on, such as Jason or Jasmine, simply reapply the textures manually after applying the shader.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

1) The quote part of the documentation about "The preset requires that the shader already be applied before it can be used, hence why we apply an official preset first." only applies to Visual Style presets downloaded separately made by other users (none currently exist). All presets included in the product itself can be used straight off the bat.

First of all, Hitomi comes with a pair of 3D conforming eyebrows for toon renders. These can be shaped and have their own shaders applied to them. These are the ones I commonly use.

However, if you're using SnowSultan's Anime Eye Textures on Genesis, you will need to do some manual adjustment. They were created for Aiko4, who originally had a separate Eyebrow layer which Genesis no longer has. If you're using any version of Daz Studio 4 before version 4.5, you'll need to use the Layered Image Editor to combine the eyebrows you want with the face textures you want. If you're using version 4.5, you can create a Geometry Shell and use the eyebrow presets on that (essentially emulating Aiko4's now missing Eyebrow layer).

If you're using a texture that has eyebrows painted on, such as Jason or Jasmine, simply reapply the textures manually after applying the shader.

You say A4 has a seperate eyebrow layer (never noticed). Is that true with V4 and M4? (not home right now).  If I apply VSS to V4 or M4 do I reapply their face textures?  If so, does it change the smoothness of the VSS skin?  

For G1, I have the add on eyebrows, but they are not toon.  They are better than nothing.  I have those Anime eye textures for H4/A4, but couldn't get them to work on V4 or M4.  I really like M4 and V4 and I have so much free stuff for them.  If I could get the eyebrows to work for them with VSS, I would be very happy. 

I don't understand how to make or use a geoshell.  I'll have to look that up.

• tkdrobert said:

You say A4 has a seperate eyebrow layer (never noticed). Is that true with V4 and M4? (not home right now).  If I apply VSS to V4 or M4 do I reapply their face textures?  If so, does it change the smoothness of the VSS skin?  

Yes, A4 is V4

tkdrobert said:

For G1, I have the add on eyebrows, but they are not toon.  They are better than nothing.  I have those Anime eye textures for H4/A4, but couldn't get them to work on V4 or M4.  I really like M4 and V4 and I have so much free stuff for them.  If I could get the eyebrows to work for them with VSS, I would be very happy. 

I don't understand how to make or use a geoshell.  I'll have to look that up.

edited September 2017

I'm doing something wrong, because I can't get the brows to apply to V4 nor A4. 

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • tkdrobert said:

I'm doing something wrong, because I can't get the brows to apply to V4 nor A4. 

Can you walk us through what you're doing?

I've tried a bunch of stuff.  I tried applying VSS to all surfaces, then applying anime eyes and brows.  I can get the eyes and eyelashes to apply just fine but not the brows.  I've tried applying VSS to skin only but that still get rid of the brows.  I've tried clicking on the eyebrows only in the surfaces tab and applying brows, but that doesn't work.

• tkdrobert said:

I've tried a bunch of stuff.  I tried applying VSS to all surfaces, then applying anime eyes and brows.  I can get the eyes and eyelashes to apply just fine but not the brows.  I've tried applying VSS to skin only but that still get rid of the brows.  I've tried clicking on the eyebrows only in the surfaces tab and applying brows, but that doesn't work.

I just want to clarify, are you using V4/M4, or are you using Genesis? Because if you're using Genesis there isn't a built in eye-brow layer to apply the textures to. Your best bet may be to use the Layered Image Editor to manually apply the brow textures onto the face texture (or use a geometry shell, though you'll still need to apply the textures manually).

tkdrobert said:

I just want to clarify, are you using V4/M4, or are you using Genesis? Because if you're using Genesis there isn't a built in eye-brow layer to apply the textures to. Your best bet may be to use the Layered Image Editor to manually apply the brow textures onto the face texture (or use a geometry shell, though you'll still need to apply the textures manually).

I'm using M4/V4.

I almost got the brows to show up on H4/M4 by adding the brow map to both defuse settings on the face (VSS), but it was only an outline.  Messing with the eyebow settings didn't do anything.  It's weird.  Even using the defaut skin that came with the eyebrows is not working.  Only 1 face map for Hiro works, but the brows are scewed when using a realistic face.  I like the skin that comes with the eyes, I don't like Hiro's default materials map.  Guess I might have to draw the brows.  It's probably something simple I'm missing,  Should I post screenshots?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

There's a separate bodypart and surface for eyebrows on V4/M4. It's hidden by default, though, so you might have to set it to visible in the parameters or scene tab and not just apply a texture to the brow surface.

Most characters had the eyebrows painted on the face texture rather than using the eyebrow part.

Leana said:

There's a separate bodypart and surface for eyebrows on V4/M4. It's hidden by default, though, so you might have to set it to visible in the parameters or scene tab and not just apply a texture to the brow surface.

Most characters had the eyebrows painted on the face texture rather than using the eyebrow part.

OK, I'll check the parameters tab.  I did play with the opacity in the surface tab, but I didn't look in the parameters tab.  I also didn't check under the head for a brow setting in the scene tab.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited September 2017

Yeah, the brows are an outline because the idea is that you use the diffuse colour to colour the white part, then an opacity map blends the eyebrows into the face.

EDIT: I'm unsure why the MAT poses aren't working for you though...Are you using the Poser or Daz Studio versions of the MAT poses? Anime Eyes comes with both if I remember correctly, with the Daz Studio versions being found in the Daz Studio runtime under People/Aiko 4/Animeyes DS.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on

Eye brows were turned off under the scene tab.  DOH!!  Thank you everyone for your help.  It's much appreciated.

They work, but they really don't look good on M4.  They are either too high or too low on the face.

It looks ok but not right.

Capture.PNG
    332 x 320 - 81K

The brows look much better on V4. 

• Those eyebrows are special. They're painted directly onto the face texture, much lower than the actual eyebrow geometry is, to try and recreate a very specific anime style. This only works on Hiro 4's specific shape.

The ones that are "too high" are the ones that use the actual eyebrow geometry, and are in the correct position. For those, all I can suggest is playing around with the eyebrow morphs to alter the shape of them to more your liking.

• Can we get some kind of walkthrough on how that alchemy chasm was done? I am feeling pretty hopeless after purchasing this set, I was really excited and that quickly faded when I realized how difficult it was....I'm a background artist for a visual novel app, but I need my backgrounds to look more visual novel like...ugh....this is probably beyond my skill level...