Questions/ Observations about the new Site

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

Mentioned this at The Commons but didn't get a response but I'm very security conscience and concerned about this error message every time I post to the forums. Any suggestions?

Might that be because this is not a https (port 443) but simply a http (port 80) connection?
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Mentioned this at The Commons but didn't get a response but I'm very security conscience and concerned about this error message every time I post to the forums. Any suggestions?

I have to admit I have never seen anything like that when I am posting to the forum, and as you can see I do make a few posts :roll:

Is this something that your AV software throws up ?

edited May 2012

Would that this was the worst of the problems to be sorted out :roll:

pumeco said:

@Moderators
    I think you just might be sadistic as well as evil if you expect us to be satisfied with the new smileys. I mean I'm not religious, but dear god, please change them to the older type. There's just something about them, they look really effeminate or something, and dare I say it, I'm sure that if they did the rounds on YouTube, people would be inclined to think they were a bit gay.

I'm literally having to force my hand to click on these, just to show you what I mean:

:-) :) %-P :red:

All you need is a mustache added to this one and you could claim campiest set of smileys on the internet:

:ahhh:

I just can't use those smileys, give me a break, I mean even the uber-cool Hoff would have trouble shaking-off any gossip that would surely accumulate if he were to use one of those smileys.

Please, don't do this, you can't expect blokes to use those!

After posting those smileys, I feel like I need to find a video to make me feel like a man again.
    Ah, here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vNsDhFaKUk

Post edited by Chohole on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Might that be because this is not a https (port 443) but simply a http (port 80) connection?

I get a similar security problem with the Chrome browser. When I visit the logon page, the HTTPS is highlighted in green meaning it's safe. But as soon as I've logged in I get a HTTPS that is orange with a warning. Whatever it is, I think it's got something to do with DAZ's certificate. I'm on a totally different browser and OS to Dan, but still something is getting detected as being insecure.

Doesn't mean it is, but the browser does warn about it.

edited December 1969

When you log in to this site, the HTTPS protocol is used. This is secure and the stuff sent over the network encrypted. As soon as you get into the forums, the protocol changes to HTTP. Everything sent over the network is as open. There are no certificates needed for HTTPS. It might be that your browser settings are such that you are warned when you leave a secured protocol and continue with an open one. I wouldn't get excited about that.

If you are in an online store and pass on your credit card number over HTTP, than get worried.

edited December 1969

I think you're right. I just logged in again to check, and indeed the HTTPS disappears and it reverts to standard HTTP from whatever page I click on after the page I got logged into. I forgot all about that, I used to use IE before and can't even see a setting in Chrome for it.

Anyway, I'm not worried about it, the only time I get concerned is if it turns red with a cross through it.

edited December 1969

Just for the records, I've just checked with Chrome. Before I log-in, I don't see the protocol in the address field. Then I log-in and get a green HTTPS protocol indication. After having entered my credentials and hit the button, I lose the HTTPS protocol and get none in the address field. Copying the address field to a simple text editor shows the full URI with the protocol and it is HTTP. By the way, we had this discussion before.

• NimosNimos Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Has anyone noticed that there's no longer a warning that you already purchased an item, and no easy way to sift thru your order history to check manually? Just these 2 bugs together are a genuine disaster. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

edited December 1969

Has anyone noticed that there's no longer a warning that you already purchased an item, and no easy way to sift thru your order history to check manually? Just these 2 bugs together are a genuine disaster. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This was one of the first things that was mentioned, when the store first went live.

edited December 1969

@Pam
    I forgot to mention this one in my previous post, it's the worst of the lot ---> :kiss:

@Horo
    I don't know what you mean, peasant, when did that happen?

Anyway, I think I must have something set different in my settings, because that effect you describe where it hides the protocol, is part of the design of Chrome (unless the site uses a security protocol). I'm not getting that though. The page I land on directly after logging in, still shows the HTTPS but has an orange security warning over it.

Then when I leave that page, I get what you get - a hidden HTTP.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited May 2012

Thanks for the info! I probably worry too much...

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • CNSamsonCNSamson Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

1. How will the new Galleries work and when does Daz expect to have the Galleries online?

I second this question, but I get the sense that they're a low priority right now. There does seem to be some form of gallery out there, but a user/password box keeps popping up for some reason:

http://gallery.daz3d.com/gallery/index.php/

edited December 1969

Hmm, can I ask where you found that link. please.

edited December 1969

@Pam
    During the period when the forum was locked, there was a link direct to it from the main menus if I recall.

edited May 2012

OK, it's no big deal, it's just that if you click Galleries" from the home page you get a different display, but can still see Galleries, well sort of see galleries. not current ones but you can see images.

That one is password protected because they're still testing it (yes, they atually do test before they go live)

edited May 2012

chohole said:
    (yes, they atually do test before they go live)

They really screwed-up on that one then (sorry no smiley, you know my feelings on those smilies).

Actually, I have something positive to say about this new forum. I just clicked on my own profile and then clicked on "View all posts by this member", and the way it categorised the search automatically was absolutely first class, really nice! Rather than just list in chronological order, it separated my posts into the threads I've been posting in, and I can even see at a glance how many posts I made in each thread because they get stacked under the title of each thread.

Yup, I think that's very nice (good design), which makes it all the more puzzling that we don't have such basics as being able to get back to the Bryce Index from the top and bottom of a thread. It's as if someone who understands this stuff went on holiday and let a novice take over for a while, and they forgot about that part.

So, I take back a bit of what I said, but the part about the missing essentials is still very relevant for comfortable use of the forum.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    oh FYI Those of you who don't like the new forum and the new forum interface, I do aoplogise, but it is the forum that came with the new store software. So we are sort of lumbered with it.

They had to do something becasue the old home brewed site was falling to pieces and was only functioning with the help of yards and yards of string and duct tape. :-)

Do you still have that famous club of yours? If so then maybe try giving the site a few whacks? Sometimes when things aren't working right a few well placed blows can bring it into submission. :-)

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    [It amazes me why they even need to sort out these problems after making it live. It should have been done before it went live, by testing on an identical offline clone of the original server. We have a saying here in the UK, when we see something ridiculous from America on the TV, and we say, "Only in America". I think we need a new one that goes something like, "Only DAZ".

I was just about to post a smiling smiley to show that I mean that in good humour, but as I said, the new smilies look crap so I absolutely refuse point blank to use them!

Well Daz is an American based company so the old saying still works just as well. :-)

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    I'm on a totally different browser and OS to Dan, but still something is getting detected as being insecure.

Maybe with all the criticisms the site has developed self esteem issues and has become insecure as a result? :-)

edited December 1969

Do you still have that famous club of yours? If so then maybe try giving the site a few whacks? Sometimes when things aren't working right a few well placed blows can bring it into submission. :-)

Haha - thanks for that remark, LordHardDriven. It reminded me of a small joke we had on the workshop door when I worked as radar maintenance engineer at our main airport fourty years ago. It showed a TV, a properly dressed gentleman with a briefcase marked "TV Repair" and a sloppy dressed guy with a butt in his mouth - the owner. The caption read: "Funny, when I give it a hefty kick, it usually works." There's great wisdom in your suggestion.
    edited December 1969

I do have it stored away

Choavianime.gif
    100 x 100 - 8K
    edited December 1969

lol@LordHardDriven

• Kuz@MichKuz@Mich Posts: 1
    edited May 2012

Добрый день!
    Когда же начнёт работать галерея Брайс? :)
    Спасибо!

Good day!
    When it starts to work Gallery Bryce? :)
    Thank you!

Post edited by Kuz@Mich on
    edited May 2012

The galleries will be added to the site at a later date. We have no indication yet when it will be.

edited December 1969

That means soon, DAZ soon!

edited December 1969

It will happen anon !

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited May 2012

Chohole,

Something odd is happening with the forums today. For example i received an email with the following link. When it click on the link it tells me that the Daz site is down for maintenance. Strange right. Here is the link:

Someone just posted in a thread you subscribed to at:
    DAZ Discussion Forum

The title of the thread is:
    Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

The post can be found at:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/10369/

The link related to a post made by Len in the Show your Renders thread. Sometimes the entire forum area reports as site down Just wanted tp let you all know.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited December 1969

Chohole, I also cannot enter the Commons, I get the same site down error.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The store and forums have been down on and off all day as various fixes are rolled in.

edited December 1969

The store and forums have been down on and off all day as various fixes are rolled in.

That makes sense to a certain extent. The problem is that currently the site is not down, but the link says it still is. As mentioned I cannot access the Commons but I can see that there have been new posts to the Commons so obviously others are able to access it. Seems something odd is happening with links themselves for whatever reason, not directly related to the actual state of the site.