Carrara 9????

Read a few hints to Carrara 9... Could it be? I would love that, but according to manly stanly in his opinion DAZ will not release a Full bore version of Carrara 8.5 but will go straight to 9 and price it as a new PRODUCT!

If that in fact happens you mean if I have always bout the upgrades since I was in Diapers and now run 8.1 now, there will be NO UPGRADE price for people like me and will have to fork over $500-600 US?

How many QUID is that Wendy?

Post edited by Romancefantasy on

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I'd say that rumour has it that rumours are only rumours...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

prob more "Quid" than a PC! %-P
    (btw I would love to own a Mac as well as my PC but cannot afford one, so not knocking them)

• edited December 1969

One reason I ask it than I am working on a BUDGET for this massive investment for a NEW MACPRO with all updated Application SUITE such as the MASTER SUITE from ADOBE! OUCHE. Particle Illusion, ect ect ect.

I have not budgeted in another 500-600 for a full bore Carrara 8.5 or 9

This could cut deeply into my Crack Budget!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Do you really think that one man's opinion is anything more than that man's opinion ? Personal opinions frequently have no connection to any known facts.

• edited December 1969

Well good point plus it was manlystanly! LOL! What was I thinking

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

he HAS expressed that opinion but it was actually another Mani from the UK.
    we have manifold manlies!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Personal opinions frequently have no connection to any known facts.

True. But I'm sure you're also aware that facts don't really matter in these forums.

BTW, I noticed that your "Old post count" in your sig line was over 11,000 !!! Congratulations !!!

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

One reason I ask it than I am working on a BUDGET for this massive investment for a NEW MACPRO with all updated Application SUITE such as the MASTER SUITE from ADOBE! OUCHE. Particle Illusion, ect ect ect.

I have not budgeted in another 500-600 for a full bore Carrara 8.5 or 9

This could cut deeply into my Crack Budget!

Even if DAZ were to go straight to C9, the upgrade price would not be anywhere near that price for a C8->C9 upgrade.

Kendall

edited December 1969

BTW, I noticed that your "Old post count" in your sig line was over 11,000 !!! Congratulations !!!

Yes well I am female, nuff said. :coolsmirk: oh and of course I am also a mod, and a freebie provider, so I have an excuse. :coolgrin:
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Read a few hints to Carrara 9... Could it be? I would love that, but according to manly stanly in his opinion DAZ will not release a Full bore version of Carrara 8.5 but will go straight to 9 and price it as a new PRODUCT!

If that in fact happens you mean if I have always bout the upgrades since I was in Diapers and now run 8.1 now, there will be NO UPGRADE price for people like me and will have to fork over $500-600 US?

How many QUID is that Wendy?

Rich............. If you're getting your information from this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5182/ 90% of that discussion was a joke. The only part that's *true is DAZ buying Blender to implement it's intuitive UI across it's product line. Eventually working it's way into Carrara around version 9.

Now, since you're on a budget, I have a toll bridge I'd like to sell you in New York. It's pretty cheap because it's old and it can only take you to and from Brooklyn. :lol:

*Not true.

edited December 1969

Now, since you're on a budget, I have a toll bridge I'd like to sell you in New York. It's pretty cheap because it's old and it can only take you to and from Brooklyn. :lol:

*Not true.

oh Shucks, and I was going to try and sell him the original Severn crossing, cos we have a new one now.
  • edited December 1969

I dont know which is more troubling? Someone that posts 11,000 threads or someone that keep track of those 11,000 posts?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

"Complete speculation. Just don’t be surprised."
    ManleyStanley

Note: I am 11 for 14 on predictions of what DAZ will do. So I am not wrong as often as people would like.

My predictions for Carrara are if there is a C8.5 it will be a full price upgrade, I believe the nominal fee went out the window months ago. DAZ is aware no one will pay a full upgrade price for a .5 upgrade so will skip 8.5 and go to 9 to charge a full upgrade fee. More over do to cost over runs, and the present economy I expect the upgrade cost to be half again as much as last time, or put the upgrade cost of C9pro close to if not in excess of $300.

Sure it's all speculation, but would any one bet that I am far from wrong?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    "Complete speculation. Just don’t be surprised."
    ManleyStanley

Note: I am 11 for 14 on predictions of what DAZ will do. So I am not wrong as often as people would like.

My predictions for Carrara are if there is a C8.5 it will be a full price upgrade, I believe the nominal fee went out the window months ago. DAZ is aware no one will pay a full upgrade price for a .5 upgrade so will skip 8.5 and go to 9 to charge a full upgrade fee. More over do to cost over runs, and the present economy I expect the upgrade cost to be half again as much as last time, or put the upgrade cost of C9pro close to if not in excess of $300.

Sure it's all speculation, but would any one bet that I am far from wrong?

I will - 8.5 about $20 to upgrade !

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited August 2012

I think you are off on the price, ManStan. It won't be cheap, but it won't be $300. And if you're a PC member, it will be less as that's how they roll. I'm guessing $69.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • edited December 1969

I think you are off on the price, ManStan. It won't be cheap, but it won't be $300. And if you're a PC member, it will be less as that's how they roll. I'm guessing $69.

OKAY ILl pay the TOLL... NOW offer it before Dec 21 2012 so we could at least open a FILE before the end of the world PALEASE!

edited August 2012

I think double that will be much closer. I just don't see DAZ releasing a .5 update at $70 and losing money. I figured it would be $70, 6 months ago; had it then.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

I think double that will be much closer. I just don't see DAZ releasing a .5 update at $70 and losing money. I figured it would be $70, 6 months ago; had it then.

I hate to say it, but Stan's predictions DO tend to come to pass.
    I think this one might be right.

C'mon Daz, prove Stan wrong.
    We shall see...

edited December 1969

Including his oft spoken prediction that Daz would never change from installers to zips, but instead would have a steam type system ????

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    Including his oft spoken prediction that Daz would never change from installers to zips, but instead would have a steam type system ????

Yes, but that wasn't based on speculation, it was based on a DAZ rep saying as much on a different forum ;)

Post edited by ManStan on
  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited August 2012

He prolly said it to irritate you, ManStan, and the cranks over at Rendo. :)

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

Actually, it was listed as only one of many possible options under consideration. As usual, some latched onto the least wanted (and least likely) option as if it were declared as the "Only True Way."

Kendall

edited December 1969

No.
    But I am quite happy DAZ gave up on that notion; I hope. And very pleased DAZ is going to the no fuss, no muss zips.

edited December 1969

Actually, it was listed as only one of many possible options under consideration. As usual, some latched onto the least wanted (and least likely) option as if it were declared as the "Only True Way."

Kendall

That's not the way I remember it.

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

"One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4."

Dan Farr in an interview in February here:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

Of course it's obsolete, because of the "next mothh or two", but the 9 number isn't something Stan made up.

(Note that the interview was updated by DAZ some days later, but not on the C 9 "mistake")

edited December 1969

Frank__ said:
    "One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4."

Dan Farr in an interview in February here:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

Of course it's obsolete, because of the "next mothh or two", but the 9 number isn't something Stan made up.

(Note that the interview was updated by DAZ some days later, but not on the C 9 "mistake")

In all fairness, Dan was not quoted as saying "Carrara 9", the author of the article stated that. It could have been that Dan said "the next revision of Carrara" and the interviewer went 8+next=9 and printed that. I'll take what the DAZzers say over any forumite. So long as the DAZ_ people are calling it 8.5, and the revisions show 8.5 in the "About" then it is 8.5.

I'm not saying that 8.5 won't be eventually called C9, hell, I've seen Marketing Depts make the jump from Version 2.x to Version 7 (Sun Solaris) so we might even see this called Carrara 10, Carrara 2012, Carrara SuperDuper Pro Kendall, or whatever else the marketing folks come up with. One cannot go with versioning as meaning anything anymore. Once the marketers get the privilege of "numbering" the software, the meaning of versions/subversions/builds dies.

Kendall

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

In all fairness, Dan was not quoted as saying "Carrara 9", the author of the article stated that. It could have been that Dan said "the next revision of Carrara" and the interviewer went 8+next=9 and printed that. I'll take what the DAZzers say over any forumite. So long as the DAZ_ people are calling it 8.5, and the revisions show 8.5 in the "About" then it is 8.5.

I won't going into an in-fight with you about what Dan Farr said and what the interviewer made up of it. I wasn't there, I don't care. But DAZ obviously re-read the interview and wanted it to be corrected on the part of disappointed users who paid for Studio 4 Pro. That's comprehensible, because it's simply more important than some decision of a prog update called 8.5 or 9.0. They corrected the perception their decision could make to the outside, which is important for any business. And I'm all for it.

But Dan Farr, second in command, afaik, put the "bad" 9.0 word into the public. And we still have no voice of DAZ how much the 8.5 upgrade will cost. We have "reasonable" or something. Why shouldn't DAZ come out with some numbers? They want us to use Genesis in Carrara: the 8.5 update should be free, because threre's nothing more than revenue to DAZ for us buying Genesis stuff. Yeah, they put some fixes into it, too, especially for the Mac user. I'm no Mac user; I spent a lot on Genesis stuff (actually not so much; I wonder if it's more than 500$, maybe some bucks more or less, I won't do the math :) )

When DAZ came out with the Genesis-enabled-Carrara-Beta there was some talk of some small fee. I thought then: maybe 20$-30$ Acceptable. (Before they gave away a 400$ prog for free.) Now we are in a development cycle which exceeds mayor numbers, Carrara 9.0 should be there. With something more than Genesis support as an incentive to buy a mayor revision. Or release the point-5 update as something what it's really is: long wanted bug-fixes for Mac-users and another platform to sell Genesis content, but nothng for what we to have pay for.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

x.5 is generally a paid release with one or two "big" new features, but not enough work to justify a full version upgrade. In as much as giving away a $400 for free is a psychological gamble, so is the name of the upgrade.... I'm still assuming what we will be paying for is Genesis, which I still don't want and probably won't ever use... but by the time they get another version of C released for real the Genesis bundles will be on sale at ridiculous prices during the March Madness or similar. The longer the delay, the less that stuff is going to have any real dollar value at DAZ...

Sure we all wish DAZ would pull a "Statue of Liberty" play and suddenly have something awesome ( A NEW CAR!) behind the curtain, but they can't even release a public beta without making it worse than the semi-public beta release before it.... I'm not DAZ bashing per-se..., but stretching out the development time is also stretching out any revenue that can be gained from Carrara sales. I haven't fully supported Carrara since C8 came out -- I was waiting for it to be finished, LOL, that was two years ago...

This discussion has been closed.