OT: Why Deviant Art irritates me.

Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Usernames.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to do a search on usernames. I can't even find my own deviant username!! Aarghhh!!!

And if you try to reset your password, then for some STUPID reason they do not ask for your E-MAIL adress!!! What if there are OTHERS with a very like name? I accidentally reset the password for somebody who has a name that is close to what I have.

So, I've reach the limit of how much I can tolerate and will not go there, though there's an account that is mine.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on

Comments

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

I always not my Usern names and Passwords down and have them in a folder on my Desk in case I need to retrieve them if something goes wrong with my Mac.
    Never had any problems searching for Usernames though and once my daughter forgot her password it was dealt with in minutes and DA send us a new one.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    edited December 1969

Usernames.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to do a search on usernames. I can't even find my own deviant username!! Aarghhh!!!

And if you try to reset your password, then for some STUPID reason they do not ask for your E-MAIL adress!!! What if there are OTHERS with a very like name? I accidentally reset the password for somebody who has a name that is close to what I have.

I know it's irritating, especially when you're trying to just get something done, but NOT asking for an email at that stage is actually fairly solid security. Given that DeviantArt does deal in financial details and transactions for some users, that's not a bad thing. Otherwise, an outside person can take over the account simply by making a reset request, putting in THEIR email address instead of yours, and suddenly, they've got access to whatever financial/credit card information Deviantart keeps on you.

• edited December 1969

Over the course of many years, I've had many gripes about dA- most recent mess was the switch over of formats last year, and the introduction of the st.ash system (a total mess inside the lit community and news posters). During that time, I even ventured out to look for a better alternative.
    I didn't find one. dA, like many websites (including Rendo and Daz) have had their share of growing pains over the years, and have always done their best to try and accommodate a growing number of unique personalities, unique tastes, and unique needs. I wish dA was still dA circa 2009, I seem to have liked that the best. Unfortunately, technology, user base, and needs change. If a website doesn't evolve with them, they quickly become extinct (IE, MySpace, AOL, Tripod, Geocities)
    I can understand the password recovery going by user name rather then email. I haven't reset mine there in a while, but if memory serves me right they used to send out a message to the email registered to that users name with a reset link for changing the password. This means that, in order to hijack an account, you need to know the users name , then be able to check their registered email for the confirmation mail (knowing their email address, log in, and password for the email). Since the email is not the user name, it makes it at least slightly harder, I'd say.
    Like most websites, I keep multiple accounts there- one for socializing, one for if I need to purchase anything, and one just for casual browsing. I'm paranoid- I don't want any personal information attached to an account where I might p*** someone off with something I say. :D So I too keep them written down in a small notebook on the desk. :)
    The search though- I just hoped over, typed in my user name in the search art box, and it pulled up my work with no problems at all. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section;=&q=ebahr Are you remembering to not use the title indicaters? (IE, no *, ^, $, ~ etc in front of the name? )

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Easiest way to find users on DA is to seach for them on Google. Afterall, its not facebook. And if you do not tag your own images with your username, then you will not show up in the search. Searching for my username brings up all my images plus more as people have used my freebies and tagged their work because of it.

Reading the screen cap you posted, DA will send an email to the account holder. This way if it was someone else who is trying to reset the password and not the account holder, they can notify DA staff about it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

I joined just so I can view nudity etc images but have since forgotten my username AND password!!! :red:
    get gmails from them a lot though!

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

I do not understand how one can forget their Username?
    Does no one save it somewhere besides on the PC I have all of mine here beside me in a folder written down with password and the lot.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:
    Usernames.

I know it's irritating, especially when you're trying to just get something done, but NOT asking for an email at that stage is actually fairly solid security. Given that DeviantArt does deal in financial details and transactions for some users, that's not a bad thing. Otherwise, an outside person can take over the account simply by making a reset request, putting in THEIR email address instead of yours, and suddenly, they've got access to whatever financial/credit card information Deviantart keeps on you.

That doesn't make sense.

You can't get anything, even knowing the e-mail address's of somebody else. Once a request is done, it'll get sent to the person in question, not you.

Secondly, this is done by a majority of web-sites. They'll generate a link, send it to the users through e-mail with something like "You or somebody requested a new e-mail. Click on the link, or copy and paste the link into your browser of choice to retrieve a new password". Sometimes they'll generate a random alpha-numerical string you'll get as a temporary password, and you'll be asked to use it to confirm it's you and nobody else.

edited December 1969

Ebahr said:
    The search though- I just hoped over, typed in my user name in the search art box, and it pulled up my work with no problems at all. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section;=&q=ebahr Are you remembering to not use the title indicaters? (IE, no *, ^, $, ~ etc in front of the name? )

One thing, you can't hack into somebody's email. Do you get into's somebody's email at Yahoo, Hotmail or local ISP? I don't think so.

I tried to do a search of parts of my name ('norse'), and it gave me 33881 results. I refuse to even try to filter through all that stuff........
    edited December 1969

Tried a different version of my name, doesn't work!!! :(

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I joined just so I can view nudity etc images but have since forgotten my username AND password!!! :red:

you go to see nude chicks :roll:

edited December 1969

To get the list of usernames here at the DAZ' forums, it's 2 clicks.

1.Click on your own username.
    2.Look at the line that says "Home / Forum Home / Member List / *Your username*", and click "Member List".

Now you can search for any member of the DAZ community. SIMPLE!!!

How HARD can it be for the DevArt community to have something similar????????? >:(

edited December 1969

PetraR123 said:
    I do not understand how one can forget their Username?
    Does no one save it somewhere besides on the PC I have all of mine here beside me in a folder written down with password and the lot.

some of us are not that organized or good at losing stuff
    using the same username and password got me hacked so I always vary them a bit
    I have indeed got all my passwords written on paper btw but no idea which one is for which not so commonly visited sites!
    will never use my important ones like paypal elsewhere and that is NOT written down, housebreakers stealing my desktop do not need that info handy!
    and I regulary change them so get very muddled at times.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

I do the same. I have a notebook that has all my usernames and passwords along with all my SN for all my software. I always forget my passwords and I clear out my cache and cookies regularly.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Ebahr said:

One thing, you can't hack into somebody's email. Do you get into's somebody's email at Yahoo, Hotmail or local ISP? I don't think so.

I tried to do a search of parts of my name ('norse'), and it gave me 33881 results. I refuse to even try to filter through all that stuff........

Uhh... yeah. yes you can. Both of my yahoo accounts have been hacked and used to spam the people in my contact list....

If you know what email account you used when you signed on to DA, you can do a search for DA in your email account to get your basic account information....

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

I just went to DA and typed in NorseGraphics in the search bar.. came up with an account that hasn't been used since 2007...

• edited August 2012

For partial names, this tip doesn't work so well.. but if you're searching for someone and know the full user name, there is a user name filter built into the dA search. You would search for it using by: , IE, by:ebahr . I'm not sure if this one is you or not, but I did find a by:norsegraphics over there :) http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section;=&q=by:norsegraphics
    I do agree completely, they they should have a searchable user name listing, or have it set up to find partial name matches better. Since wildcarding doesn't work in the by: search, as far as I know, it's useless if you have forgotten someone's username and you're trying to find them. Best option then is Google- a pain in the butt sometimes. Might be something to bring up to one of the staffers over there, for their next revision :)

Edit: http://help.deviantart.com/577/ has a list of different search filters that can be used at this time :)

Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
    edited December 1969

I just went to DA and typed in NorseGraphics in the search bar.. came up with an account that hasn't been used since 2007...

Well, that wasn't my account, since I only joined up a couple of months ago.
    edited December 1969

Well well well. Google is worth the weight in gold. How silly that an outside party are a better solution that the in-house stuff. But thanks anyway.

edited December 1969

I posted this as a general suggestion:

[Hi,
    I have a hard time finding people in DeviantArt. Even trying to find my own account is impossible within DeviantArt, and it's a bit stupid to rely on Google's search-engine.

So here's my suggestion. In the drop-down menu, you could place a "Browse Members" button below the "Browse Art", and allow it to direct the user to a members page, or a search-engine optimized for members names only. The members page could have a letters column on the left, and a current column (from which the names are listed alphabetically). Scrolling down the list to the letter 'N', and every username starting with N pops up on the current list on the right. Easy to use.

It's remarkable that this feature isn't a standard feature of the software...

I might be a bit caustic, but it is pretty rare that I get this upset. Well, whatever. I'll see if the suggestion goes in one ear and out the other.
    edited August 2012

This isn't you, btw?

http://schizophrenicfennec.deviantart.com/journal/WendyVainity-is-a-Goddess-269875089

:)
    edited December 1969

This isn't you, btw?

http://schizophrenicfennec.deviantart.com/journal/WendyVainity-is-a-Goddess-269875089

:)
    no!
    there is a Wendyvainity facebook page too
    and a Tom R. Toe one
    I have not "liked" either for fear of my freaky YouTube fans wanting to friend me on facebook
    edited August 2012

Ohhh. Okay, I hope the Youtube-fans won't freak you out too much. And there are ''56,363 most popular deviations of all time for Wendy'' at DevArt (copied the text after search).

Wow, this is pretty funny, btw!!

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section;=&global=1&q=wendy#/dzj5ep

• ambrown_7b4d9ebafcambrown_7b4d9ebafc Posts: 10
    edited August 2012

EDIT sorry never mind, I should read ALL the replies properly before I start typing....

as you were :)

Post edited by ambrown_7b4d9ebafc on
  • gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I can't log into my account because they insist on sending a reset to the email I have on record and I no longer have any access to that email address since it had been hacked through that darn WoW game. Wanted to add some things there like pictures, etc.

edited December 1969

I can't log into my account because they insist on sending a reset to the email I have on record and I no longer have any access to that email address since it had been hacked through that darn WoW game. Wanted to add some things there like pictures, etc.

Now that you mention it...

I got a reply that they didn't have any such features (deviant search).
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

DeviantArt seems like such a great idea... till you try to use it... I don't know, maybe its me but why does it seem like everything there is slightly off. Maybe it is done that way to make it more for those who are into social networking or something...?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

Yes deviantart is a social site. That's it's strength and where all its good features and functionality are focused.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited August 2012

Yeah, guess I knew that... I just said that stupidly...
    I don't use Facebook or other SN sites, but I have used my wife's to send messages to people... I get how those work...
    It just seems DA... is very "unique"... When I first heard about it I though it was a place for Artists to show off their work... and possibly even to sell their work... But it seems to be more of a very unfocused amalgamation of a bunch of stuff... and mainly it is confusing. I've tried to use it a few times, but it seems like whenever I click on something it doesn't do what it looks like it should do.... like for example, I went to edit my one journal entry today and in the corner of the text window there is a little icon showing a pencil and paper... looks a lot like an "edit post/text" icon... but,when you hover over it, it says "edit this widget".... WHAT?... it does allow you to edit the post, but either they have mislabeled it or they are choosing to call a post or entry a "widget". Its lots of stuff like that that I don't get. It's not like you can ask "how do you do this" questions there either... not without having fifty snarky annoying 13 year old kids reply to god knows what.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

i only have a fb for daz promos so i understand. i hear you on some of the site functionality too. however like others have mentioned ihavent found a better site to use. ive gotten many commssion offers and sell a few digital pieces there but most are there for the free stuff. it is possible to use the site but you wil have to learn way around and how the communities work.

edited December 1969

Yeah... I probably should try to use it more... When someone posts a link to something specific, it is usually great. But other than that it is like trying to find a can of paint in a warehouse store, with no signs and the lights off. No joy.