Night & Day City - Product Promo [Commercial]

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I think I solved it
    I have two nested instances of carrara

well no not yet
    i have a big mess in my E: programs DAZ folder it seems

Once you have sorted out your file structure, if you don't have any other Sparrowhawke plugins, Instance Randomizer will appear on the main list of shader options. Only if you have more than one (and you should!) will it be in a Sparrowhawke sub-category.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

OMG I have huge issues actually gonna have to clean up all my Daz programs
    DS 32 and 64 bit seem to be referencing each other for a start

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    Hmm ... okay the randomizer files were put into the right folder so no, either they and/or the .car scenes files for the whole enchilada do not work in 8.1.

However the .obj .car files do - kind of. Nothing shows properly until rendered ... and okay, I'm spoiled by D/S which has lights. Sunlight no work in Carrara? Spot light works and shape light works ... massive amount of setup time required so no renders to show for now.

Oh yes, for ? reason the ground doesn't like being lit??? Spot light works on it but gee whiz. How many lights are "normal" for a Carrara scene?

No Dodo images today ... think Dodo hiding.

Not sure what your issue is with lights but I'd like to help if I can. The full city scenes have a lightdome set up so that it renders quicker than using sky light. There is a main sunlight (or Moonlight for the night scene) and that works for me. If you can let me know your issue in a bit more detail, I'd be glad to help.

Well ... [newbie alert] ... I said to insert "sun light" and it renders black.
    Scene file loads a bunch of lines.
    Trying to render bunch of lines freezes program.

I have Carrara 8.1.1 64 bit
    Have put the 3 randomizer files in the Extensions folder.
    Had to put the scene files under a folder it already recognized [unless I want to tell it everytime I open the program to add a folder ... have no idea why it is not remembering]
    W7Pro.
    Would love to load the full scene.

Have to go out for a few hours but will be back at this tonight.
    OK, I think I know what the issue is. "Sun Light" is a distant light that works in conjunction with Scene/Atmospheres/Realistic Sky. The two are tied together, so if you adjust the sun direction in one, it will change the other as well. As you have found, if you don't have Realistic Sky selected, it doesn't produce any light! So either select Scene/Atmospheres/Realistic Sky, or use a Distant Light rather than what is called Sun Light if you want to use an atmosphere other than the Realistic Sky one. If you are interested, Tim Payne does a great set of Realistic Sky presets.

The "bunch of lines" you are seeing is because I have set Bounding Boxes as the preview mode in order to speed up the display - it can be slow anyway! You could try going into both the Block Replicator and the Extras Replicator (select them and then select the "spanner" tool at the top right) and change the numbers of replications from 20x16 to something a lot lower and see if that works. With replicators in a scene, it can sometimes appear to have frozen, but it is calculating behind the scenes, so lowering the numbers will give it less to do. You should find the display more responsive too.

Thank you ... will give this a try.

I did try again with some scene sky presets and then yes there was sunlight.
    I also tried using a Yellowstone dome thingie ... and that worked ... except we got an interesting bunch of shadows for non-existent balconies etc. Anyhow ... will try changing the numbers and giving the program more time to do whatever.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:
    Hmm ... okay the randomizer files were put into the right folder so no, either they and/or the .car scenes files for the whole enchilada do not work in 8.1.

However the .obj .car files do - kind of. Nothing shows properly until rendered ... and okay, I'm spoiled by D/S which has lights. Sunlight no work in Carrara? Spot light works and shape light works ... massive amount of setup time required so no renders to show for now.

Oh yes, for ? reason the ground doesn't like being lit??? Spot light works on it but gee whiz. How many lights are "normal" for a Carrara scene?

No Dodo images today ... think Dodo hiding.

Not sure what your issue is with lights but I'd like to help if I can. The full city scenes have a lightdome set up so that it renders quicker than using sky light. There is a main sunlight (or Moonlight for the night scene) and that works for me. If you can let me know your issue in a bit more detail, I'd be glad to help.

Well ... [newbie alert] ... I said to insert "sun light" and it renders black.
    Scene file loads a bunch of lines.
    Trying to render bunch of lines freezes program.

I have Carrara 8.1.1 64 bit
    Have put the 3 randomizer files in the Extensions folder.
    Had to put the scene files under a folder it already recognized [unless I want to tell it everytime I open the program to add a folder ... have no idea why it is not remembering]
    W7Pro.
    Would love to load the full scene.

Have to go out for a few hours but will be back at this tonight.

OK, I think I know what the issue is. "Sun Light" is a distant light that works in conjunction with Scene/Atmospheres/Realistic Sky. The two are tied together, so if you adjust the sun direction in one, it will change the other as well. As you have found, if you don't have Realistic Sky selected, it doesn't produce any light! So either select Scene/Atmospheres/Realistic Sky, or use a Distant Light rather than what is called Sun Light if you want to use an atmosphere other than the Realistic Sky one. If you are interested, Tim Payne does a great set of Realistic Sky presets.

The "bunch of lines" you are seeing is because I have set Bounding Boxes as the preview mode in order to speed up the display - it can be slow anyway! You could try going into both the Block Replicator and the Extras Replicator (select them and then select the "spanner" tool at the top right) and change the numbers of replications from 20x16 to something a lot lower and see if that works. With replicators in a scene, it can sometimes appear to have frozen, but it is calculating behind the scenes, so lowering the numbers will give it less to do. You should find the display more responsive too.

Thank you ... will give this a try.

I did try again with some scene sky presets and then yes there was sunlight.
    I also tried using a Yellowstone dome thingie ... and that worked ... except we got an interesting bunch of shadows for non-existent balconies etc. Anyhow ... will try changing the numbers and giving the program more time to do whatever.

Your unexpected shadows are caused because you have not checked the "Light Through Transparency" in the indirect light section (there are two, one at the top and one under the Indirect Light section, they should both be active). Then it should render properly.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    ... edit ...
    Your unexpected shadows are caused because you have not checked the "Light Through Transparency" in the indirect light section (there are two, one at the top and one under the Indirect Light section, they should both be active). Then it should render properly.

Okay ... will give this another go.
    ty

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,786
    edited December 1969

I like this set very much, especially the night scene.

NightAndDayCity03pic03gimp04.jpg
    1800 x 1080 - 706K
    edited December 1969

Artini - great image, this is just the kind of use that I envisaged!

Just to let people know that to tie in with the release of Night & Day City, my whole store has been put on 30% off!

edited December 1969

Okay it's not a rocket science render ... but got something working in 8.1 :-)
    Might have eventually rendered with lights BUT seemed stuck at 20% and we're in a heat wave situation so can't leave renders to go long right now.

You were right about one of the transparency light options ... i had only had one marked, not two.
    Got a variety of test images but unless you want them here I'll not flood the thread with them ;-)

Doc15.png
    1000 x 600 - 1M
    yes.png
    1346 x 1038 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I still cannot get the instancer thing working but I have other issues too, in C8.5 I get a python error on pycloid opening vertex room and a missing mcx which I do not on C8.1, I may try it in C8.1 instead if I have time.
    I know it is very likely something to do with my really odd setup, I had a DS4 32bit shortcut I kept for lipsync opening the 64 and other weirdness, because everything not in program files or (86) on the C drive.

edited December 1969

it appears in C8.1

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick test render in Carrara 8.1 Pro 64bit.

:-)

City_plane.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 480K
    edited December 1969

Stezza - you need to check the "Light Through Transparency" too!

Patience55 - It does not look like your scene is picking up the textures correctly - for example the pavements are black and the graffiti panels on some buildings are also black. Have you installed to another location than the Carrara folder? In any case, it should give you a requester to find the textures rather than just not loading them. if you can let me know, we can try to resolve.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Patience55 - It does not look like your scene is picking up the textures correctly - for example the pavements are black and the graffiti panels on some buildings are also black. Have you installed to another location than the Carrara folder? In any case, it should give you a requester to find the textures rather than just not loading them. if you can let me know, we can try to resolve.

No error messages, but yes no textures where expected either. No face on the people and there's one in the folder.
    Now, it doesn't seem to matter where I put the scene folder --- unless it's the wrong place altogether.
    Sadly I can't seem to get the program to recognize a bunch of stuff I have in my real Scene folder.
    Can add the scene folder twice and that will add in a few more folders but not all of 'em. Haven't overly fussed with it all ... one might throw everything in one basket like "skies" and "sky" because it won't recognize each folder.
    At any rate in the images you can see where I've put the scene and presets ... feel free to tell me where it is they should be put instead.

moving_did_not_help.png
    963 x 843 - 989K
    which_one.png
    613 x 398 - 64K
    where_is.png
    1137 x 889 - 505K
  • Sparrowhawke3DSparrowhawke3D Posts: 102
    edited December 1969

Patience55, you don't need the folder ../Extensions/InstanceRandomizerC8Win64bit only the three files InstanceRandomizer.dat, .mcx and .txt. The Instance Randomizer appears to be working fine in your render - otherwise you would see ghostly alpha effects.

The black squares around the buildings appear to be related to the missing textures for the pavement and grass.

edited December 1969

Patience55, you don't need the folder ../Extensions/InstanceRandomizerC8Win64bit only the three files InstanceRandomizer.dat, .mcx and .txt. The Instance Randomizer appears to be working fine in your render - otherwise you would see ghostly alpha effects.

The black squares around the buildings appear to be related to the missing textures for the pavement and grass.

Thank you.

edited December 1969

I am still working on getting an answer for you regarding the missing textures.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

No error messages, but yes no textures where expected either. No face on the people and there's one in the folder.
    Now, it doesn't seem to matter where I put the scene folder --- unless it's the wrong place altogether.
    Sadly I can't seem to get the program to recognize a bunch of stuff I have in my real Scene folder.
    Can add the scene folder twice and that will add in a few more folders but not all of 'em. Haven't overly fussed with it all ... one might throw everything in one basket like "skies" and "sky" because it won't recognize each folder.
    At any rate in the images you can see where I've put the scene and presets ... feel free to tell me where it is they should be put instead.

Hi Patience, I have had the following suggested from DAZ:
    "you can ask them to un install it, then down load the manual version, un zip it and then copy the folders to her Carrara 8.5 folder to their respective folders ie Presets and scenes."

Sorry this is a bit of a bind, but we suspect that there is something strange with your installation, as we are all getting no problems at our end.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

Someone mentioned "if I had 8.5".

I only work in 7.2. Does this product work in 7.2?

Thanks! Looks great

edited December 1969

well Sparrowhawks plugin has a 7.2 version so say it would
    I am having issues in C8.5 but works in C8,1

edited December 1969

It was developed in 8.5 and works fine for me in that (on Windows). As Sparrowhawke has a version of his plugin for Carrara7, it should work. You always have the DAZ 28 day guarantee if you encounter problems, but I do not anticipate any issues.

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Great product, I'm using it in my Carrara challange entry for this month!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/648950/

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Great product, I'm using it in my Carrara challange entry for this month!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/648950/

That's looking really cool!

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

well Sparrowhawks plugin has a 7.2 version so say it would
    I am having issues in C8.5 but works in C8,1

Great! :)

edited December 1969

yes Phil I have other issues in C8.1 I have yet to resolve so may be related to that
    since I replaced my C drive with a SSD and moved everything, is a bit of a mess

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

Hi Patience, I have had the following suggested from DAZ:
    "you can ask them to un install it, then down load the manual version, un zip it and then copy the folders to her Carrara 8.5 folder to their respective folders ie Presets and scenes."

Sorry this is a bit of a bind, but we suspect that there is something strange with your installation, as we are all getting no problems at our end.

... except it was already a manual install with the folders copied over to their respective folders ;-)
    ... I made an entire copy of all the images and put them into the scene folder too ...
    ... it's also possible that something is just off ... I do not comprehend what or why Carrara is doing what it is. I have a folder called "skies" ... it insists to call it "sky" ... and refuses to acknowledge certain scene folders unless I add the entire scene folder also ... or remake a whole bunch of purchased scenes into seen folders ...
    ... found the edit button for shaders ... mostly showing default grey stuff? ... contemplating resurfaces stuff and saving out new files or whatever ... it is a nice set. thanks for trying to help.

edited December 1969

The only thing I can think is that Carrara's relative addressing is expecting Carrara to be somewhere like C:/Programs/DAZ3D/CarraraXX rather than a top level folder like you have. Have you tried moving the whole folder into your Programs folder? For this reason, most of my sets use internal maps so there are no issues finding them, however when I tried it with this set, it ended up being over 1GB due to the multiple times each map was used, so this is really the only sensible solution in this case.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited July 2014

1st - I finally have your city set and Sparrowhawke's plugin working now, thanks. It is great. C8.5 Pro on windows 7.

But, there is something odd going on when installing Carrara-related content. See my exchange with fixmypcmike (who has tried to be helpful) here.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43623/P45/

This wasn't just your city set. I found some of your hair models, Ringo's shaders, and Howie's environment sets scattered across several directories that I know I didn't create. So, there is obviously something odd going on with Carrara and content installation. I had used the DIM, which I think was the most likely source of the problem (fixmypcmike doesn't think so). I will manually install Carrara content in the future.

In any case, as a Carrara content creator, thought you would want to know.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The only thing I can think is that Carrara's relative addressing is expecting Carrara to be somewhere like C:/Programs/DAZ3D/CarraraXX rather than a top level folder like you have. Have you tried moving the whole folder into your Programs folder? For this reason, most of my sets use internal maps so there are no issues finding them, however when I tried it with this set, it ended up being over 1GB due to the multiple times each map was used, so this is really the only sensible solution in this case.

Well that might explain a few things. I'll give it a try and see what happens. There is at times a problem with programs "in" the protected folders as in for programs wanting to write info into their folders; W7 won't let them. [in case anybody was wondering why some of us put programs outside of main base]

edited December 1969

I am working on a companion product to Night & Day City, let's call it "City Central" for now, it will provide a range of taller feature buildings, inspired by some famous actual buildings plus a dose of my own imagination. This is a quick and dirty render so not what I would call final quality, but it gives you an idea of what I am working on - the existing Night & Day City in the foreground, the new tall buildings set in the background.

Distant_Central_Early_version.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 115K
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I am working on a companion product to Night & Day City, let's call it "City Central" for now, it will provide a range of taller feature buildings, inspired by some famous actual buildings plus a dose of my own imagination. This is a quick and dirty render so not what I would call final quality, but it gives you an idea of what I am working on - the existing Night & Day City in the foreground, the new tall buildings set in the background.

Phil,

I really enjoy working with your Night & Day City set and look forward to purchasing any and all “Companion” products that you develop for it. City Central looks very interesting and will hit my “cart” as soon as it is released.

I really appreciate how easy it is to customize all of the different elements of the set including, but not limited to, the signage and the amount and colors of the light emanating from the various building’s windows.

Here is a quick test render using this set.

City_At_Night_Test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M