SITE UPDATES, ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE INFORMATION

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

You might have a point, some people around here seem to be confused easily. (case in point: how many times have you seen people refer to vouchers as coupons and coupons as vouchers in the past?) But I think most would not be so confused. Right now it's easy...PC files have "pc" in the download link, Mac files have "mac" in the link. A universal zip would have nothing (or maybe "universal"). I think it would be easy to figure out that if it didn't say pc or mac, then it's the new zips, especially if that one file is all there is for your newly purchased product.

Dana

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

I agree, Dana - having gotten some older products that have already been converted, I can tell you it's very easy to tell which are universal zips

There are actually TWO things that will tell people it's a universal zip.

First, there's only a zip file and no exe. PC and Mac don't appear in the name..

EXAMPLE: The Attic Expansion - IM00005922_the-attic-expansion.zip

Second, there is another file listed, which is to explain how to use Zip Files (which, with apologies, I can't understand why is needed. It seems like a no brainer)

EXAMPLE: The Attic Expansion - UsingZipFiles.pdf

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have to admit I haven't bothered downloading any of the PDFs. But some people do get in a muddle with them, which is why we have a tutorial in New Users area about using zips.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have to admit I haven't bothered downloading any of the PDFs. But some people do get in a muddle with them, which is why we have a tutorial in New Users area about using zips.

You have a topic called "Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial" which links to a topic in the old broken forum archive. It's pretty much unusable. :-/
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

Found this with a quick Google search and a link through the forumarchive...here's the direct download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?oqcf29kmigzd3gk
    (I guess it's another pdf, but maybe it'll be helpful)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited August 2012

Cool, I found a new weird thing happening with the forums (you have to say this the same way a ten year old would when discovering an odd new lizard or frog in the garden)!
    Starting this morning, every other time I visited the forums I got this "Sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found" notice...
    Now I can get it practically every time I visit the forums.
    Mostly the commons.
    Brilliant!
    I like the colors too... so gray and monochrome, like a toad's butt.

The cool thing is... it thinks I'm looking for something in the shop, but I'm actually trying to visit the commons. HA!... Neat!

It's not a big deal, in fact I don't really care how to fix it or why it might be happening... I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited to add- COOL! All this AND I just got an email informing me "someone" made a post in this thread... and that "someone" is ME!

I'm a "someone"!!

Now I can be sure I did not hallucinate this whole post! The wonders that are Magento!

WTF_Number_2678882.jpg
    896 x 550 - 97K
    Post edited by McGyver on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

As things stand right now, without the ability to specify to only show Mac or PC it would be extrememly confusing to have the old mac zips, the old pc exes and the new universal zips potentially able to all appear on a customer's download page

You want confusing? A couple of times so far, I've seen pairs of downloads appear on the downloads page with no label saying which is Mac and which is PC. The only difference was whether the filename was a .zip or an .exe — and the fact that so far (fingers crossed) the Mac file has always appeared in the list first. Add in the duplicate download of a universal .zip and... <headdesk>
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    edited December 1969

how do I clear off downloads from my download available list?

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Cool, I found a new weird thing happening with the forums (you have to say this the same way a ten year old would when discovering an odd new lizard or frog in the garden)!
    Starting this morning, every other time I visited the forums I got this "Sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found" notice...
    Now I can get it practically every time I visit the forums.
    Mostly the commons.
    Brilliant!
    I like the colors too... so gray and monochrome, like a toad's butt.

The cool thing is... it thinks I'm looking for something in the shop, but I'm actually trying to visit the commons. HA!... Neat!

It's not a big deal, in fact I don't really care how to fix it or why it might be happening... I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited to add- COOL! All this AND I just got an email informing me "someone" made a post in this thread... and that "someone" is ME!

I'm a "someone"!!

Now I can be sure I did not hallucinate this whole post! The wonders that are Magento!

You obviously haven't seen this toad's butt. ;-P

i-FCS9xPJsmsm.jpg
    800 x 532 - 167K
  • Rosie DRosie D Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

OK I give up - I can't seem to send PM messages anymore

I can recieve them - I just can't reply or send

I haven't changed anything - honest

It's getting to be a real pitta - I thought that the people I was sending to had their recieve switched off!! But it's me that can't send....

Help please

Any Ideas.....:red:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2012

You need to tick to save a copy to your sent folder, under the screen where you type the message. THat way you can check that the PM has been sent.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Rosie DRosie D Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Awe thanks chohole - I couldn't work out what was going on - busy editing Cr2 and Obj files and I can't find a simple tick box anymore......I need some sleep...or a new brain.....

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited August 2012

I'm a bit sad to wake up today to find the new update announcement state " Faster load times for the DAZ 3D web pages" as one of the fixes. When the site first when live, load times did increase for me by 3-4 times or so from how it was before, but just within the last 2-3 weeks, they've gotten even worse and now it includes the forums (before, the forums were a tad slower but still loaded decently on dialup, but now they take nearly as long as the store pages). When I was loading the PC freebie yesterday, I had timed it from the time I clicked the link until the product page actually opened and was disappointed.... 4 minutes and 13 seconds. Before it was taking around 2 minutes or so. How are these load times faster? :( Things have gotten so much slower recently and I can't say the same for others on dialup, but I know I for one and getting to where I hate coming to the store anymore. It takes so long to load what used to take only 30-60 seconds before the site upgrade :(

Is anybody else seeing faster loading times in the last 2-3 weeks? Like I mentioned above, for me everything slowed down even more during that time :( I'm sure the staff don't care about dialup users anymore though, but I just wanted to bring this to somebody's attention that the loading, for me, has gotten worse instead of better.

Post edited by atryeu on
  • Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

DanaTA said:
    [snip] . . .

And another thing, DAZ3D, if you're going to provide the ReadMe files only online as PDFs, then be sure that they are actually published! The newest freebie didn't have one in the installer and when I checked the checkbox to view the readme, I got an error page! I think most people would rather have it on their local drive, rather than use up bandwidth every time they want to view it. But either way, at least be sure it's actually available!

I keep a copy when I install also and forgot to check the box recently, but was able to look it up manually through the search pane in the read_me section. \/ . . . But like you're saying, it only works if it's there. ;-P I realized after that the list was so short, I didn't have to search it anyway. lol Seems there's a long way to go still. (I don't envy that chore. :blank: )

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start

Post edited by Cyn Art on
    edited December 1969

I am on a superfast Comcast broadband connection, the fastest tier they offer, and the pages here vary from page to page and day to day. sometimes they're snappy, sometimes the browser actually shows a time out trying to load a page. Sometimes I just walk away and do other things and come back in an hour or so, it's that bad sometimes. And it's not me, nor my connection, because during these times, I can go to two or three other different websites, look at pages of new products, read a few posts in the forums, all while the one DAZ3D page is loading. So it's not just dial-up, it's this new "improved" software.

11 weeks, 3 days!

Dana

edited December 1969

How will we know the difference between the old mac zip files and the new universal zip files? that is without opening them up?

I was wondering this, also. I guess by the name - but will DAZ be putting a consistent identifier in the new file names so we'll be able to distinguish that?

edited December 1969

ok, down to business.

I'm here because I need to know how to delete a new account with no activity yet. I'm saying actually DELETE or REMOVE.

We've looked on the site everywhere and there's nothing turning up in even the knowledge base.

Please someone give us this information if you know. ~ Thanks in advance!

btw, are they intending to fix this "double-return" business for the posts?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

You will have to contact customer support

edited December 1969

Thanks, Frank. Was starting to feel like Hotel California.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply Dana. I'm glad to know it's not just my slower connection then and others on high speed internet are having problems as well with loading times. Hopefully this means the issue isn't actually fixed and it will continue to be looked into and hopefully improved. I tried looking through the store the other day for something to use my PC coupon on and OMG it took forever just going through a handful of pages in the store catalog (that was without loading the product pages, just clicking through a couple of pages in the Daz Original category). I gave up on it since I had more important things to do -_-

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ..universal zip files? So this means that when I download a file I'm getting both the PC and MAC versions even though I only work on the PC platform? That is a waste of download bandwidth especially if you have a slow or spotty connection and/or monthly download limitations.

No, not like that. You get a zip that works on PC and Mac, just like at Renderosity or Runtimedna or most of the Sharecg files. The two versions at Daz were necessary because they used installers and exe wouldn't have run on Macs.

It seems that the Macs can read and use the same files that we do...the only reason they had separate files here at DAZ3D is because they insisted on using those damned installers, which wouldn't run on Macs. By going to zip files, they no longer have to have a separate product file. So you won't be suffering the use of extra bandwidth, in fact, the zip files will be smaller than the installers, so you'll have less strain on your bandwidth! :-)

Now if they'd only get their butts in gear and actually start providing the zip files! So far, all the new products are still being put into installers.

...thank you both for the explanation. Makes sense that the installers needed to be different because of the difference in how the OS on each of the platforms works. All the more they need to get on the ball with moving to .zip files. I especially don't understand why new content isn't being released as .zip installs if they already have the structure in place. They can always go back and convert the older content at a later time.

And another thing, DAZ3D, if you're going to provide the ReadMe files only online as PDFs, then be sure that they are actually published! The newest freebie didn't have one in the installer and when I checked the checkbox to view the readme, I got an error page! I think most people would rather have it on their local drive, rather than use up bandwidth every time they want to view it. But either way, at least be sure it's actually available!

Dana
    ...I don't see why they cannot provide a "text only" version with the .zip like Rendo and other vendors do. I don't need to load some splashy looking web page for that.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...thank you both for the explanation. Makes sense that the installers needed to be different because of the difference in how the OS on each of the platforms works. All the more they need to get on the ball with moving to .zip files. I especially don't understand why new content isn't being released as .zip installs if they already have the structure in place. They can always go back and convert the older content at a later time.

Welllll, Mac users with a new OS and not able to run the old Mac installers may be quite a big user group ...
    ;)

edited December 1969

There is no reason why making all new content zip files would change the progress they're making on older installer conversions. They have to spend time creating the installer, and testing it I hope. I think, from my past experience with InstallShield, that creating a zip file is actually less time consuming than creating an installer. Since they have to spend time anyway, why not make the best use of the time. The alternative is spending time on it twice. Who among us likes to do things twice that could have been done right the first time and left at that?

Dana

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

We've got thread bumping?! :-)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

And avatar's

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited August 2012

Will wonders ever cease? !

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    And avatar's

HOLY WALRUS POO! YOU ARE RIGHT!!!
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Hmm...

I've had this one for a while, and I've got better kitty figures now. Maybe I'll update...

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Testing, testing ...

edited August 2012

Oh and by the way... to whomever fixed the avatars... Thank you!

EDITED TO ADD:

AND since I just noticed it- THANK YOU FOR FIXING THREAD BUMPING TOO!!!

Post edited by McGyver on