BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Late Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ TREES ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited July 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Tenth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "Trees"
ɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚ

Trees....big trees, small trees, new trees, old trees. live trees, dead trees, single trees, forests or glades of trees. Any sort of tree that ticks your box and stimulates your rendering juices.
Feel free to use imports and postwork is allowed but not so that it dominates your image. OK, Bryce away!

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that. I collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th August :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

Oh, dear. Trees. Very difficult, I think. But on the other hand, we all have them in our folders, so, why not!

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

this should be fun!!! :lol:

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

This is great... I've already been experimenting in the tree lab...another virtually untouched area for me... I'm sure I'll learn a lot.
    Steve

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Oh lord I hope I didn't pick a hard one.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

I'm really gonna try to enter this contest. Will be my first. Sounds fun.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fictionairomance: Don't think of it as a hard one. Think of it as working in an area not often used by many. I've only done a few scenes which contain trees, so this will be a learning experience for me.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @fictionairomance: Don't think of it as a hard one. Think of it as working in an area not often used by many. I've only done a few scenes which contain trees, so this will be a learning experience for me.

And that is a good thing for a challenge, learning new things.

edited December 1969

...now if I can only remember the things I learn.;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Oh you mean you have to remember them as well :question:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Enough idle talk. Here's my first entry. I did use a bush from our Vegetation product but only because I was too lazy to create a new one - so I don't mention it as a product used. Total 32 trees and one radial light.

Tiltle: Trees Eye
    Resource: EWL (extreme wide-angle fisheye lens) Bryce 7.1 Pro Lenses and Filters.

TreesEye.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 386K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Enough idle talk. Here's my first entry. I did use a bush from our Vegetation product but only because I was too lazy to create a new one - so I don't mention it as a product used. Total 32 trees and one radial light.

Tiltle: Trees Eye
    Resource: EWL (extreme wide-angle fisheye lens) Bryce 7.1 Pro Lenses and Filters.

Wow that is beautiful!

edited December 1969

my first entry, title "Wild Oak" .... :)

Wild_Oak_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 673K
    edited December 1969

@Horo... another amazing image... I love the lens effect... another way of looking at things in Bryce... I think I'll put that Bryce 7 lens package in my wishlist..
    @Timothybateman... It's a great scene... The background terrains look almost photographic...

I've also started my Trees image... I have plans for using the Instance Lab for placing trees in rows along a hillside... I watched the Bryce 7 Instance Lab tutorial, but I didn't see how to instance in straight rows... Is there a way to do this?
    Steve

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    GussNemo said:

Oh you mean you have to remember them as well :question:

So I've been told. :P

@Horo: That's a beautiful image. It looks as though it's a view through a sky light looking directly at the sun.

@timothybateman: Love that oak. That's one tree that's seen the sun more than once.

Here's my first entry. Title is "Trees of Life".

Float_Tree_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 724K
    edited December 1969

my first entry, title "Wild Oak" .... :)

That's a beauty!

GussNemo
    Here’s my first entry. Title is “Trees of Life”.

I like your concept in this one.

I really need to get busy and try to come up with an idea

edited December 1969

@fictionairomance: Thank you.

Here is my second entry. Title is "Lone Sentinel".

Lava_3.png
    1080 x 810 - 881K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Guess I'll throw a tree in the ring...

The_Last_Tree.jpg
    858 x 340 - 79K
    edited July 2014

@fictionalromance - thank you.

@timothybateman - now that's a beautiful tree in a real looking landscape.

@mtnmen - thank you.

@Jamie - thank you. I like your floating island with the trees on them (Trees of Life). The sky fits the scene nicely. The Lone Sentinel also looks nice. Great terrains and tree.

@Lord Ganthor - that's a great idea. Like a sentence with the tree as the full stop at the end.

Here's my second attempt (the Dry Wood HDRI is used as a faint backdrop but not for light. 4 trees and 8 radials.)

Title: Trees Shadows
    Resource: Vignetting Filter from Bryce 7.1 Pro Lenses and Filters.

TreesShadows.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 244K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@Horo Love the different lens techniques... I really am putting that in my wishlist... at the top!

I have to say to all in this forum how sometimes I am intimidated by the "knowledge" that oozes here... and I think I am sometimes too reluctant to actually jump into an area of which I am completely unfamiliar and ask of those who know...just what I should do... Well... forget that! I'm a big boy and I can go into a "lab" without you guys holding my hand...
    That's what's great about these challenges...for someone like me... Your combined knowledge and great talent here... challenges Mr.
    Scardicat here.. to Just Do It... If it crashes Bryce..so what! Like that hasn't happened before... So... off I go into the Instance lab... wish me luck... I hope to come out of it ok... and be able to offer you a WIP or perhaps a finished render.
    Steve

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2014

I'll chuck this one in (done today) as my first entry. :)

@ mtnmen: Don't be intimidated by us... We're always happy to help where we can.
    We love to see people progressing and keeping our favourite software alive and kicking. :)

Entry 1 Title: Beware Of The Tress

SpookyOldWoods.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 552K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Horor- thanks :) ...i really love those lens effects, they are certainly different and interesting to look at :)

edited December 1969

entry number 2, titled "Adventures Bonsai" :)

Adventures_Bonsai.jpg
    1185 x 555 - 396K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

mtnmen said:
    I've also started my Trees image... I have plans for using the Instance Lab for placing trees in rows along a hillside... I watched the Bryce 7 Instance Lab tutorial, but I didn't see how to instance in straight rows... Is there a way to do this?
    Steve

Sorry, I didn't have time to answer this when I saw it earlier.
    The answer is "yes".

But understand that trees are grouped objects and as such don't instance easily... I think there are ways to cheat it but they are complicated and you'd need someone who's got more experience of the IL than me to explain how to do it.

But as what the Instance Lab creates aren't actually instances, you would most likely find it easier to use the Multi-Replicate feature instead, though that then has the disadvantage of if you needed to edit the trees you'd have to do them individually whereas if you use the IL, you can simply edit the master tree (your original) and it will apply the changes to the others.

So to make a straight line of trees in the Instance Lab, first create your terrain and then create a tree.
    Select the terrain and click the button in it's little floating menu... This opens the IL.
    Go to Brush Editor and select the tree you've just created from the drop down list in the Brush Component box (you can set the variations in size, but as far as I know, the rotation one does nothing regardless of what parameters you set) as in Picture 1
    Then go to the Painter tab and using the Plus button to zoom in or out of the window until your terrain fills the window.
    Use the basic settings in my Picture 2, though you may want more trees or less trees, so alter the Density setting to the number of trees you want in your row. And you may also want the row to be shorter or longer, in which case alter the Size setting to your desired size.

When you are ready to paint your row, only click on the paint area once and make sure you also press the Control key at the same time. This will ensure your trees follow the contours of the terrain.
    Once the IL has done it's job (sometimes it can take a while, but don't be impatient with it), Click the tick to exit the IL.
    If you are happy with the result, you're good to go, if not you can use undo to undo what you're just done (it takes two undos to get back to the point just before you entered the IL originally.
    Don't be tempted to alter anything within the IL as it is much more likely to crash if you start adding multi layers of instances or deleting several instances without first exiting the IL and saving your file.

I've done two rows of trees here, I did one row, exited the IL to check and then re-entered the IL to make the second row (remember that when you re-enter the IL, you also have to remind the Brush Editor what it needs to instance).

Hope this helps. :)

Note to Pam:: The tree render below isn't an entry :-)

TreeRows.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 516K
    TreeIL2.jpg
    655 x 500 - 161K
    TreeIL1.jpg
    666 x 497 - 99K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. Your latest image is really nice. It's as though one tree is pushing its way up through a heavy fog.

@Dave: Really impressive stand of trees. Raven/crow is a very nice touch. Real nice IL instructions as well.

@timothybateman: Nice scene. I like the contrast between the sunshine and the shadows.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited December 1969

Lovely renders to start to this challenge.

Dave – thanks for the example on the IL

I’m following in Horo’s footsteps using the Lens and Filters for my first entry.

I’m not sure if animations are allowed for these challenges, as I can’t remember anyone posting an animated render.

I followed David’s tutorial in the Lens and Filters pack and used MeadowTrail Hdri which I found as a freebie online. I would not follow the animation so I visited Robin Wood’s site to see how to setup an animation, my first one in Bryce.

I don’t know much about uploading videos, so I got a friend to convert the AVI file to a Gif. I hope it’s okay, if not I will post the jpg as my first entry.

The Meadows.

animatinghdkrwithgwl2.gif
    500 x 500 - 5M
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

That's super, mermaid, and, I think you may be right as to being the first to post an animated version to a theme.

Jay

edited December 1969

@mtnmen - thank you. On the second entry, I haven't used a lens, only a vignetting filter to enhance the light dimming towards the edges.

@Dave - oh these trees really look a bit threatening. Very well done.

@timothybateman - thank you. Your Adventures Bonsai scene looks great. Good angle of view.

@Jamie - thank you. Interesting observation about the tree pushing through the fog. I haven't seen it in this way but it makes a lot of sense.

@mermaid010 - I like the GIF-animation, what a cool idea.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2014

Boy all of you are going really fast on this one.....I am still thinking....Trish p.s. mermaid ...that is really cool!!! Dave those instructions are really helpful....Thanks....The scary trees are creative...Horo: Beautiful as usual.....guss: Love your ideas....I am really going to have to think of something good.....sorry if I didn't say anything about everyones....I would have to keep a note pad by the computer...they are all very impressive!!!

Post edited by Trish on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

oh WOW. I love your ideas for this theme.... wonderful, all of them.
    You are very fast....
    I'm thinking about it, so maybe i get an Idea :-)

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64...
    Wow.. thank you for this... tutorial... I have never until a few days ago gone into the instancing lab... All the info you gave me here is really good... and I especially appreciate the suggestion of a multi-replicate... which would mean additional hands on placement of the trees... but less crash potential... Which I have experienced in my "instancing" ... I will jump into the lab again today... and utilize the suggestions you gave me...
    Thanks
    Steve