Could it be true? The end of PC .exe installers (and those spurious metadata installers)?

edited August 2012 in The Commons

I read a comment somewhere on these forums suggesting that DAZ were switching from EXEs to ZIPs for PC installers. (That's PC as opposed to MAC, not PC as in Platinum Club, just to be clear!)
But I can't find the thread again, and I don't recall whether it was an informed statement (i.e. by a DAZ rep or admin), or a guess by a forumite.

I know that many of the older products' EXE installers are being replaced with ZIP files.
I know that many of the MAC installers are also now in ZIP files, not SIT files.

So what's the low-down on this then? Are we moving to a one-size-fits-all ZIP download?

P.S. And were those metadata installers really spurious, as several of us always suspected? (you know, the 5MB EXE files that installed about 20KB of files that seemed identical to files that the main installer had already installed.)
Edit: just found a comment from chohole here indicating that the metadata installers are now being incorporated into the main installer (for the product mentioned in that thread at least...)

Post edited by NoneOfYourBusiness on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Yes, DAZ is moving to zips isntead of installers, with an optional install manager for those who want the installer system (which will do stuff like check for updates, too). Older products are being converted first as their Mac installers wouldn't work on newer systems. There will no longer need to be separate files for Mac and Windows, which is presumably why they didn't implement a filter for Mac/Windows in downloads.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited August 2012

And yes the metadata installers were always a duplication of the metadata in the installers.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited August 2012

I just downloaded this week's freebie, and it's still an exe, so they must have started with the older items...

EDIT, the Mac file is a zip, but it contains an Installbuilder script and archive...

Post edited by WandW on
  • ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

How do I find this week's freebie? Yeah, I know - more omega3 plz.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Elowan said:

Look in New Releases, it's the one that's free!

Or http://www.daz3d.com/shop/summertime-grill/

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    Elowan said:

Look in New Releases, it's the one that's free!

Or http://www.daz3d.com/shop/summertime-grill/

I got the link from the Newsletter. Usually I find it under Sales and Promotions in the first couple of items, but this week's isn't there... :-S

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Got it! Thnx!:-)

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

If your a member of the PC there's a freebie topic you can subscribe to (it was created early on so you need to go back to the last page or second to last page to find it). People are posting the freebie links there to make them easier to find for people :)

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited August 2012

Thanks DWG for letting us know where DAZ was hiding the freebie this week.

Never received my newsletter, and I was searching all over earlier; Searched "Sales & Promotions", "Free 3D Models & Content", and even filtered for "Price" (starting at $0.00), "DAZ3D", and even "DAZ Originals" all to no avail.

Who would of thought to look for an "older" product being offered as a freebie in "New Releases".

Guess I am one giant "dumbass", and I thank you for that DAZ.

Thanks again DWG. I now know to not abandon my search before looking under obscure rocks...

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Yes, DAZ is moving to zips isntead of installers, with an optional install manager for those who want the installer system (which will do stuff like check for updates, too). Older products are being converted first as their Mac installers wouldn't work on newer systems. There will no longer need to be separate files for Mac and Windows, which is presumably why they didn't implement a filter for Mac/Windows in downloads.

Oh, thank God -- FINALLY!