Can't execute the DAZ exe file in MAC OS

edited December 1969 in New Users

I have bought a number of figures were it is just impossible to make the DAZ exe file work under Mac. I click but it is not executing (or it is hidden somewhere. I can't load the file in POSER 7. Surprizingly some work...and some don't. Anyone who can help me with this?
Many thanks for your help guys/girls.

Walther

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

I thought Macs cannot run exe files.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for your note. Still sell the files "for MAC". Any other way to install the files? thanks for your help.

Walther

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2012

Did you make sure that you had downloaded the MAC version

Can you tell us which files you are having trouble with ?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Yes, It is the MAC version that I downloaded. ........

edited December 1969

So can you tell us which files.

I ask this because some of the really old installers are throwing up errors, whether they are for PCs or for MACs.

So if these are older figures then it may be this known error which you are experiencing.

• edited December 1969

It is:
    *Michael 4
    *Muscle (Anatomy) Morphs and Maps (V4 bundle)

These are old indeed. Hope you can help

Walther

• edited December 1969

I would from far prefer a good old ZIP file that Unzips right to the right Runtime folder. These work perfectly well.

edited December 1969

OK, these are not the installers that are giving problems, as they are newer installers.

Zip files are coming, in the meantime I will see if I can find someone who knows Macs to help you.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:
    I have bought a number of figures were it is just impossible to make the DAZ exe file work under Mac. I click but it is not executing (or it is hidden somewhere. I can't load the file in POSER 7. Surprizingly some work...and some don't. Anyone who can help me with this?
    Many thanks for your help guys/girls.

Walther

Hello,

couple of question to grasp where and what goes wrong.

(a) What are the exact filenames of the files you downloaded (very important), including the file extension?
    (b) What version of Mac OS X are you using?

With answers to these questions I can most probably help you, but are some "golden rules" anyway.

(1) Mac OS X 10.7 does not have the Rosetta PPC emulation in it, so old PPC code cannot run. The old Wise installers are all PPC based, and wont run under 10.7 (easily anyway You can run a Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Windows using Virtual Box and install into an empty runtime, and then zip the results).

(2) Old installers are compressed with Stuffit (.sit) and not Zip (.zip). Stuffit Expander can be freely downloaded here: http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html.

(3) Often those old .sit installers contains the old Wise installers see (1), but in the shift between the older WIse and the Newer BitRock installers, some bitrock installers are compressed using Stuffit.

(4) Really really old Wise installers (from 2004 or earlier) are 68k installers and they wont run at all, but those can easily be installed using SheepShaver, http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/, same installation procedures as (1)

/ Totte

• edited December 1969

Hi there and thanks for trying to help me.

the extensions are . app / ds.app/ dcp.app
    My Mac Os version is 10.6.8

Walther

edited December 1969

If you are installing to Poser, then the only installer you need bother about is the one labelled .dpc. THe other extensions you mention are for use when installing into Daz Studio,

edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:
    Hi there and thanks for trying to help me.

the extensions are . app / ds.app/ dcp.app
    My Mac Os version is 10.6.8

Walther

OK, I see, they are the new installers, the problem might be that you have set Safari to "autoextract safe filetypes", I prefer to unzip the files myself. (Otherwise you would have seen the .zip files).

But I've never had problems on 10.6.8 installing files. (sorry, need to read you original post once more before I can comment further now when I got some facts) OK, I think I see what the problem is now...

You can run the installers fine, but you cant see the result of the installed content? That's it.
    I guess the default path for the installation suggested by the installers are wrong (they always are on Mac OS X).
    Did you select where to install the content, and what did you select?

• edited December 1969

I have downloaded ZIP files from DAZ , which, once unzipped appear to be ".app" files or "ds.app". This is where the trouble begins as, when I double click the ".app" files, nothing happens, appart from a very brief flash on my screen. I do not have a chance to even see the usual "DAZ" invite where you are asked to choose the Poser folder where you plan to file. The strange thing is that it has worked in a number of cases with other files.

Thanks again for your efforts in helping me

Walther

• edited December 1969

..... I am using Firefox.....not sure that's the problem

edited December 1969

OK, check your "system messages", the installers are pretty good at logging what goes wrong.
    On thing that can go wrong is "execution permission", which do get lost of the files are moved to a "non HFS formatted disk", for example a USB stick and then back to a Mac OS X file system.

But post what the log says from the installers.

• edited December 1969

Where do I find these messages ? in "system Information"... looks like this is slightly beyond my knowledge of Mac OS

edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:
    Where do I find these messages ? in "system Information"... looks like this is slightly beyond my knowledge of Mac OS

In Application/Tools you have an application called "Console" or "System messages" (I'm running a Swedish OS version so I'm guessing what the original name is, but the icon looks like this:

sysmess.jpg
    496 x 431 - 37K
    edited December 1969

When you run it you will see a window and in the top right corner a search box, type ds.app there to filter out what you are interested in.

• edited December 1969

yes thanks, found it in the meantime, but not much I can gather from here:

28/05/12 23:43:00 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[242] ([0x0-0x83f83f].com.bitrock.installbuilder[16654]) posix_spawn("/Users/WGA Management/Back-up/Poser Anatomy/ps_mr259_V4MuscleMorphs.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh", ...): Permission denied

• edited December 1969

No idea on why it denies permission to execute the "app"

• edited December 1969

Could I have ticked a box somewhere that would prevent ".app" files to be executed?

edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:

28/05/12 23:43:00 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[242] ([0x0-0x83f83f].com.bitrock.installbuilder[16654]) posix_spawn("/Users/WGA Management/Back-up/Poser Anatomy/ps_mr259_V4MuscleMorphs.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh", ...): Permission denied

Told you, permission problems. Where did you unzip the files? In your "downloaded files" or any other place "under" your home directory or somewhere else? This usually happens if you unzip to a directory where you are not really supposed to write stuff.

You can fix this manually using the terminal
    Start Terminal.app

type cd then drag the ds.app to the terminal window, now hit
    now type chmod -R +x Contents/

Now try run it.

• edited December 1969

It says "no such file in directory".... any more chance if I just try to unzip in another folder. where should I go from once my ZIP files are in my "Downloads" folder (my version is in French..... so try to translate

edited May 2012

try to unzip in a folder in your home. I've never had this problems except once when I moved filed from one machine to another via USB-stick.

if you do as I said in terminal (step one), then type pwd , what does it say?

Post edited by Totte on
  • edited December 1969

When you say step one, is that "cd" or is it the whole path that you advised?
    .....because it doesn't work

Nor can I execute the .app in a home folder... Thanks for your help though but I have to take a train at 5 am and really need to sleep now.

have a good night and thanks again

Walther

• edited December 1969

.... I hate Mac...never had any problems with PC though. since on mac, my life is a nightmare

edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:
    When you say step one, is that "cd" or is it the whole path that you advised?
    .....because it doesn't work

Nor can I execute the .app in a home folder... Thanks for your help though but I have to take a train at 5 am and really need to sleep now.

have a good night and thanks again

Walther

example:
    cd /Users//Downloads/12345_cooldazthingy_ds.app

edited December 1969

dePeyrac said:
    .... I hate Mac...never had any problems with PC though. since on mac, my life is a nightmare

I guess the issue is that you are unfamiliar with how Mac OS X works, very easy to think Windows and Mac OS X works the same, much like switching between driving on the right or the left side of the road, when it comes to "spine reflexes" you will turn the wrong way, always.

• aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm on OSX 10.7. With initial instal of DAZ, I had to go into 'Utilities' and verify and repair 'Disc Permissions'. D.P.'s are what allows the apps to interact. DON'T TRY ANYTHING ELSE IN UTILITIES. Hope this helps a little.

• edited December 1969

Totte said:
    dePeyrac said:

Told you, permission problems. Where did you unzip the files? In your "downloaded files" or any other place "under" your home directory or somewhere else? This usually happens if you unzip to a directory where you are not really supposed to write stuff.

You can fix this manually using the terminal
    Start Terminal.app

type cd then drag the ds.app to the terminal window, now hit
    now type chmod -R +x Contents/

Now try run it.

Thanks Totte, this worked for me. However, it must be done for each file to be extracted. A better way when extracting multiple files is to combine them into a new directory, cd into that directory via Terminal, and chmod -R +x */.

BTW, I downloaded the files via Safari to the default directory, "Downloads" in my user directory. Obviously, this is a defect that will negatively affect many Mac users. I'm not sure why Daz felt the need to use such an unusual file format, but if the permissions issue can't be resolved by them, they should revert to a less problem prone format.